Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I want a reliable brand as my current one is a sumvision 800w psu(can't find any reviews) and the chances of this ruining my pc are probably high, i'm thinking of putting it into a new cheap build with a celeron and etc or should i just sell it? anyhow my budget is around £50 i want something that will last long and delivers around 650 watts out of it.

right now the computer isn't put under any stress no more than 30% on both ram and cpu, once i get the psu, (if i need to) i'm going to start playing games and editing

Hi - without knowing your sys specs, no way of knowing what
PSU you need. However, if you can get the AX650 that
knightdog linked you should snap it up at that price, it'll
power just about any single gpu out there, and is a
great value at the price linked.

Tom

Lornaben

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
My new build requires approx 650 watts at 95% load and the Sumvision 800w PSU looked to be the ideal supply for the money, giving me 150 watts of headroom ....
BUT, If you read the specs though, it is only 72% efficient under load so it will only deliver just over 550 watts.
After playing battlefield 4 for 5 mins, mine spectacularly exploded with a loud bang accompanied by a big blue flash and lots of smoke. It tripped the house electrical mainboard and fried one of my hard drives.
If you still have it then good luck, you have been warned :)

Hi - sorry to see you "learned the hard way" what a poor quality PSU can do to your system. I was a lucky
one & found out about mine being a POS(here on Toms) before any damage was done.

Your damage was caused by a low quality PSU, that very likely can't deliver anywhere near it's rated power
and is lacking in protection features that should shut itself down when stressed beyond it's limits.

PSU efficiency doesn't perform as you suggest. Simply put, a more efficient PSU will pull less AC current
from the wall than a less efficient PSU will pull in order to deliver the power the PC components demand at a
given point in time. So poor efficiency basically means you will use more electricity. A true 800w PSU can still deliver
800w regardless of it's efficiency.

In modern PSU's low efficiency does seem to go hand in hand with low quality. Stay with known to be good quality units and read reviews from trusted (Hardware Secrets, jonnyguru, Hardocp)review sites.