Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Please help! Gaming build Suggestions? (Ihazcookies)

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
September 12, 2012 6:07:25 AM

Hi, I picked this build from iDroid.
It'll definitely be a budget build and I want to be able to eventually upgrade it. I'll be using win7 64bit

1. Is it worth it to get the i5 3570k to overclock? If I do, will I need a cooler? (suggestions of cooler would be nice!)
2. How important is the case? Can I get a cheaper case or use an old cooler master I have at home?(Sorry I don't know the specs/dimensions of this)
3. Opinions on this graphics card? Does anybody feel there is a better one for the 130-200 price range? Saving money is always nice! (I'm not 100% sure of what games I'll be playing but I'm definitely not expecting Crysis on high or anything.)
4. If anybody has any recommendations on a LED monitor that isn't too pricey I would love to hear it! Between 20-25''
5. Is the psu too much or too little? Any thoughts on this?


http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gd5i
(I took out the SSD)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)

I know I asked about almost every single aspect of the build. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! :D 

More about : gaming build suggestions ihazcookies

Best solution

September 12, 2012 6:15:17 AM

Quote:
1. Can I overclock with this cpu and if I can, will I need a cooler?


No and no. The 3450 does not have an unlocked multiplier and cannot be overclocked. If you're not going to overclock, you don't need to purchase any after market cooler. In fact you don't even need Z77 - you can use H77 and then use the difference for upgrading your GPU to a 7870 or 660TI.

Quote:
2. How important is the case? Can I get a cheaper case or use an old cooler master I have at home?(Sorry I don't know the specs/dimensions of this)


It's important if you want good air flow and cable management. Those things are usually important. I'm not the biggest fan of Rosewill - their cases are decent but there's far better ones that have sleeker designs and features like the Corsair 300R.

Quote:
3. Will I be able to eventually add another video card for crossfire/sli? (I think the mobo is crossfire capable but I don't know about sli)


As long as the board has 2 x16 slots you should be fine, that motherboard should be rated for SLI/Crossfire.

Quote:
4. Opinions on this graphics card? Does anybody feel there is a better one for the 130-200 price range? Saving money is always nice! (I'm not 100% sure of what games I'll be playing but I'm definitely not expecting Crysis on high or anything.)


7850 or 7870 are the best in the $200 - $250 range. NVIDIA is not a value leader in this field. If you want any decent GTX card you'd better pay up.

Quote:
5. If anybody has any recommendations on a LED monitor that isn't too pricey I would love to hear it! Between 20-25''


Monitors are a lot of personal preference. I'd say look for a good 23.6" 1080p monitor in the $150 - $200 range.

Quote:
6. Is the psu too much or too little? Any thoughts on this?


Single GPU - way too much. Dual GPU - probably.
Share
September 12, 2012 6:21:44 AM


Thanks for your reply. It helps out a lot!
I edited my first post. Do you think getting a i5 3570k is worth it?
m
0
l
Related resources
September 12, 2012 6:25:57 AM

ctomster said:
Hi, I picked this build from iDroid.
It'll definitely be a budget build and I want to be able to eventually upgrade it. I'll be using win7 64bit

1. Is it worth it to get the i5 3570k to overclock? If I do, will I need a cooler? (suggestions of cooler would be nice!)
2. How important is the case? Can I get a cheaper case or use an old cooler master I have at home?(Sorry I don't know the specs/dimensions of this)
3. Opinions on this graphics card? Does anybody feel there is a better one for the 130-200 price range? Saving money is always nice! (I'm not 100% sure of what games I'll be playing but I'm definitely not expecting Crysis on high or anything.)
4. If anybody has any recommendations on a LED monitor that isn't too pricey I would love to hear it! Between 20-25''
5. Is the psu too much or too little? Any thoughts on this?


http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gd5i
(I took out the SSD)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)

I know I asked about almost every single aspect of the build. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! :D 


Defo get the i5 3570k, the z77 supports overclocking so it would be wasted with the 3450. A good cooler is the Hyper evo 212+ for around £25 $30, or the Noctua DH-13 IS best but at around £50 $70 is rather alot. Also you're PSU is overkill but if you keep it you have the option of doing a crossfire.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 6:33:20 AM

Thats good to know. Any suggestion on a psu that isn't overkill? I probably won't crossfire for a while!
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 6:33:41 AM

ctomster said:
Thats good to know. Any suggestion on a psu that isn't overkill? I probably won't crossfire for a while!


Get a XFX 550w Core edition, same as yours but just less power and cheaper, or you could spend the same amount but have a smaller PSU but a modular one. Modular's have removable cables :) 
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 10:39:43 AM

Sounds good!
What kind of games would I expect this build to be able to run on recommended settings? :) 

Anybody else have thoughts/comments?
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 4:31:24 PM

ctomster said:
Thanks for your reply. It helps out a lot!
I edited my first post. Do you think getting a i5 3570k is worth it?


If you think you're going to get more out of the CPU yes. If not stick with the 3450 and put more into your GPU.

Quote:
Get a XFX 550w Core edition, same as yours but just less power and cheaper, or you could spend the same amount but have a smaller PSU but a modular one. Modular's have removable cables :) 


Fine choice but doesn't give you much headroom for adding a second video card later on.
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 4:59:06 PM

g-unit1111 said:
If you think you're going to get more out of the CPU yes. If not stick with the 3450 and put more into your GPU.

Quote:
Get a XFX 550w Core edition, same as yours but just less power and cheaper, or you could spend the same amount but have a smaller PSU but a modular one. Modular's have removable cables :) 


Fine choice but doesn't give you much headroom for adding a second video card later on.


By then he might as well get a new GPU or do a new build! :) 
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 5:05:47 PM

get XFX doube D 7850 2GB i love it
m
0
l
September 12, 2012 5:26:17 PM

wake4x4ptball said:
get XFX doube D 7850 2GB i love it


But for that price, your better off with just the one GPU. like a GTX 670.
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 12:50:48 AM

I think for the moment I'll stick with one graphics card and a 550w psu. My budget is a little tight. I'm trying to not go above 850.
If I do add a gpu it'll be another 2 or 3 years (I hope)

With this in mind what would be a good graphics card $200 and under?
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 1:17:07 AM

spat55 said:
Haven't seen that one before. I have the Sapphire version of it.


I have the Sapphire 7870 - sweet card.

Quote:
With this in mind what would be a good graphics card $200 and under?


Radeon HD 7850 - any manufacturer.
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 7:54:14 PM

suggest to get 2GB for video card
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 8:02:06 PM

ctomster said:
I'm about to purchase this now because its exactly what i want and it comes with 8gb free ram!
Its a decent deal right?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


That will work and it is a great deal considering the card was nearly $300 when it first was released! :ouch: 
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 6:25:07 AM

Best answer selected by ctomster.
m
0
l
!