Weird Problem (possibly PSU)

The Toaster

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Hi,

I currently have a Dell PC that I have made various upgrades to (CPU, GPU, USB 3.0)

Recently I turned the PC off using the power button on the case (from the boot-selection menu) and when I came to turn it on again, nothing, not even a flicker of power. It was as if it was unplugged. Switching it off at the plug and waiting for all power to leave the PC (about 15 seconds) fixed the issue and it worked fine. Now, this is not a new issue, but recently it is happening more often. At first I thought it was just a random error or something, and thought nothing of it, but it happens more and more now and I am wondering what causes it.

Stuff you should know:

It happens every time I power off using the button on the case, when I have no other option (pre-boot)

It rarely happens when I power off from the OS (Win 7) but does occasionally

The problem surfaced around the time I upgraded the CPU, but no other problems have arisen from it

All I can think of is that it may be some problem from the PSU as it may not be coping with the higher demand from the upgrades (as it is a Dell PC)

Hope you can help

Use windows shut down feature for awhile consistently. There's no reason to use the power button alone. See how often your issue returns; but the power supply may be the source of your infrequent power on issue. Most full size dell cases can use a variety of power supplies, unless yours is a slim case. When you're ready to order a new ps, list your dell model number for more advice.

This is very symptomatic of PSU overloading and/or degradation. OEM PCs come with decently built PSUs but they're often rated at a wattage that is only sufficient to run the PC as it is shipped. Installing a new CPU or GPU will often bring the PSU outside of its rated power delivery range which can definitely cause symptoms exactly as you describe.

These failures will occur with increasing frequency until the PSU fails completely. You must replace the PSU ASAP with a decent one from SeaSonic, XFX, Antec, Enermax, or Corsair that is rated to around 500 watts to be safe.

The Toaster

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
It was a CIT 550W Gold as it was highly recommended by a friend who had used the same one (but 750W) in his gaming rig. Seems fine so far. :)