Relation between RAM and CPU

Would there be any performance issues running a 3570k with a decent OC, and 1066Mhz RAM?

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about relation
  1. cookybiscuit said:
    Would there be any performance issues running a 3570k with a decent OC, and 1066Mhz RAM?

Thanks.

No there shouldn't be any real problems. Overall DDR3 RAM as a whole is faster and has more bandwith than older RAMS and speeds don't really make a HUGE impact on performance.The only time where speeds seem to make a difference is with AMD's APU's when you are using integrated grpahics.
  2. Thanks. For gaming, is faster RAM worth it at all?
  3. RAM is so cheap if you can afford 1600 go for it but again I really don't think it will make a huge performance difference. I have two builds the one below in my sig with 1600 speeds RAM and another with an I5 2500k, 7870, and 4 gigs of Ram at 1066. I can't say I see any noticable difference in when gaming. I still get good FPS and great performance.
  4. Thanks. Its just I already have this RAM and was going to go with a 3570k. Think I'll stick as is then.
  5. cookybiscuit said:
    Thanks. For gaming, is faster RAM worth it at all?

Short answer: I suppose you are really asking "should I use this DDR3-1066 I already have or buy new memory?" If you have enough DDR3-1066, use your current memory, it will work fine. If you don't have enough memory, buy more of whatever makes for a good deal (probably will be DDR3-1600 speed) and put it in with your existing memory. It will downclock to DDR3-1066 and work fine.

Long answer: It depends on the chip and if you are using a discrete graphics card or not. Gaming with a discrete chip doesn't tax the memory subsystem a whole lot and you won't see much of a performance difference between DDR3-1066 and above. DDR3-800 and slower will start to cut into performance but as far as I can tell nobody sells DDR3 slower than 1066 so it's a moot point. Here is an article explaining memory scaling on an Intel i7-2600K, which is very similar to your i5-3570K. Now if you are using integrated graphics, completely different story. That is really dependent on memory bandwidth. I however would keep the DDR3-1066 and spend the money you would have spent on faster RAM to buy a discrete GPU as pretty well any remotely modern discrete GPU will be much faster than an Intel IGP.
  6. Actually I just realised my RAM is 1333. Definetly not worth it now?
  7. No not really. Really 1333 is fast enough as long as you have enough (between 4-8 Gigs.)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance RAM