Windows 7 install black screen after finalising

JK666

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Got a tricky one here trying to do clean install of windows 7 32 or 64 every time it gets to the finalising installation part the signal to the monitor goes (black/black) it seems to be detecting a signal because it won't go into sleep mode happens with both DVI and AVG monitors I have a feeling the graphics card just wont cooperate with win 7 but need some confirmation before I get another GPU for it

The computer itself I got second hand for a seedbox was running vista fine I also through a HDD with Ubuntu in it and it loaded up perfectly and even successfully updated drivers for the card

Sys Specs

PSU - cooler master 650w
CPU - Intel dual core 2.13Ghz
GPU - Geforce9800GTX
MoBo -ASUS Rock ConRoeXFire - eSATA2

bummer. I was guessing that windows was getting off default drivers and onto its final drivers around then and that something was calling a bios function that wasn't working.

Instead, what parts can you pull and still do the win install. Remove anything USB except the keyboard and mouse (no external drive, printer, mps3, etc. doubt you have them, but...). Pull all cards except video. make sure you are not on the network. clean install again. any lucK?

Any chance you can boot a windows recovery CD after the black screen install and see if you can force default VGA drivers and run? Some of the video drivers use .net, etc and your vanilla windows install may be running into a bug.

IF none of that works run with only one memory dimm and see if it fails, then repeat with only the other dimm...

Aside, you know someone who can loan you an old video card for a week or two. I've got 4 or 5 in the basement somewhere.

JK666

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

That was my guess to.

All non essential hardware is removed.

No way to do windows recovery after screen remains black for some time i do a hard restart then it geves me mesage windows installation was inturupted by a auexpected shutdown.

almost definate memory is fine ran memtest86 for while no errors also installed vista last night no issues display drivers installed not sure if it will help but ill try to upgrade instead of clean install.

wish i new someone like you all my freinds are pritty much computer illiterate and have all my old hand me downs in there PC's.

Thanks for the help tsnor if you got any other ideas that would be exellent but i think ill just need to track down another GPU to test