Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Prices are killing my wallet...

Last response: in Components
Share
January 26, 2013 3:59:25 PM

Just like the majority of people here, i like from time to time to buy components for my pc and upgrade it and every 3-4 years i start all over to build a new rig. The problem is that while the price for ready computer systems are very logical and close to the prices around the rest of europe here the prices are really high if you want to buy a single componet (example: new hard drive or gpu). I look at local websites and shops and the prices are exaggerated for single components. I have thought of purchasing from american sites which i found they were selling almost at halfprices than here but shipping is not available to my location.. :(  Another sad realization is that if i tried to purchase something from a UK or european site the shipping costs are ExtRReME and eventually the total price would be higher than if bought locally.
My question to the community is Do you know of any website preferably european based that sells cheap and has low shipping costs to europe??

Sorry if my post is in the wrong category but i had no clue where to post...

More about : prices killing wallet

a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 4:21:26 PM

WHERE are you ?
January 26, 2013 4:23:02 PM

I guess i forgot to mention.... Cyprus it is
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 4:23:56 PM

supremeIce said:
I guess i forgot to mention.... Cyprus it is



Hi :) 

Are Greek prices any cheaper ?

All the best Brett :) 
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 4:39:37 PM

The problem is any country is going to want to collect import duty on goods imported in by anybody.
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 9:48:37 PM

I live in norther New York, USA and we have people crossing the border all the time to come buy things 'in the States'

So... how close to the border are you? LoL
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 10:05:42 PM

popatim said:
I live in norther New York, USA and we have people crossing the boarded all the time to come buy things 'in the States'

So... how close to the border are you? LoL



Hi :) 

Cyprus is an Island around 120 miles long ...

So no border...only sea.. the Mediterranean

All the best Brett :) 
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2013 10:28:46 PM

Actually Cyprus does have a border, South Cyprus (Greek) North Cyprus (Turkish), although no other country officially recognizes North Cyprus as a sovereign state.
January 26, 2013 11:12:32 PM

Its the duties and import taxes that YOUR COUNTRY charges on products that drive your costs up. Don't know what else to say, it is what it is. That is the reason stuff is so high were you live, they have to pay the ridiculous import fees to get the item into the country so they can then sell it to you. You are going to pay it one way or another, so either get a better paying job, or move!
January 26, 2013 11:17:01 PM

Don't know what Amazon charges for Cyprus deliveries, their mainland european shipping is usually pretty good value.
January 27, 2013 10:22:03 AM

jitpublisher said:
Its the duties and import taxes that YOUR COUNTRY charges on products that drive your costs up. Don't know what else to say, it is what it is. That is the reason stuff is so high were you live, they have to pay the ridiculous import fees to get the item into the country so they can then sell it to you. You are going to pay it one way or another, so either get a better paying job, or move!

That is most likely the case so i guess i will pay any way or the other... I might try to see if i have some coupons or bonus cards for a specific shop and go for that to save some money


So thank you all guys for the response!!
a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2013 10:26:32 AM

supremeIce said:
That is most likely the case so i guess i will pay any way or the other... I might try to see if i have some coupons or bonus cards for a specific shop and go for that to save some money


So thank you all guys for the response!!



Hi :) 

If its financially worthwhile, you could always take a holiday in the UK, with a BIG EMPTY suitcase lol ...

All the best Brett :) 
January 27, 2013 5:22:44 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

If its financially worthwhile, you could always take a holiday in the UK, with a BIG EMPTY suitcase lol ...

All the best Brett :) 

Well I have done that before... During my holidays in UK in 2011 i spent 50% of my money on a logitech controller, some ps3 games and a telescope(the same telescope was being sold in a mall in cyprus for about 100euro more!). All i can say is that it was money WELL SPENT :D 
January 27, 2013 8:02:58 PM

Yeah UK and france are probably the cheapest places for computer components in europe.
a b ) Power supply
January 27, 2013 9:38:30 PM

so we're back to crossing the border like I suggested? LOL
January 29, 2013 8:10:03 PM

I found the solution(illegal??)
When an item arrives outside of europe you need to recieve it from the customs office where they charge you 21.5% taxes(17% is VAT & 4.5% something idont remember). So if you pay 100£ to amazon for an item when it arrives you will be charged an additional 21.5£! BUT in order to give you the item you need to give them a printed reciept/invoice... So here is the trick: Take the electronic invoice save it as a picture, open photoshop &MAGIC STUFF HAPPENS& the invoice is printed and now says 20£ so you are charged only 4.3£ in taxes. I think my wallet now is smiling at me :lol: 
a b ) Power supply
January 29, 2013 8:42:33 PM

supremeIce said:
I found the solution(illegal??)
When an item arrives outside of europe you need to recieve it from the customs office where they charge you 21.5% taxes(17% is VAT & 4.5% something idont remember). So if you pay 100£ to amazon for an item when it arrives you will be charged an additional 21.5£! BUT in order to give you the item you need to give them a printed reciept/invoice... So here is the trick: Take the electronic invoice save it as a picture, open photoshop &MAGIC STUFF HAPPENS& the invoice is printed and now says 20£ so you are charged only 4.3£ in taxes. I think my wallet now is smiling at me :lol: 



Hi :) 

Nice try but it wont work...

Amazon have to LEGALLY put the value on the outside of the package if its traveling across International borders... and so YOUR countries CUSTOMS levy the correct amount of import duty and VAT... AND YOU DON'T get the parcel until its paid...

All the best Brett :) 
January 30, 2013 5:27:08 PM

That is still fine, even if i pay the taxes for the amazon item i still have saved a lot of money before doing the magic trick for items that did not have the value on the outside...

So once again Brett and the others thank you very much, toms hardware has probably the most helpful and friendly online community i have ever been to!
!