Sign in with
Your question

Need help with first build, would be much appreciated!

Last response: in Systems
September 12, 2012 10:38:44 AM

Prices are so much more expensive in uk then America :( 
I'm looking for a build around £650 which is about $1000 I believe.
Can anyone suggest some cheap parts that do exactly as I require?
I want to game and do a little bit of photoshop, illustrator, watch films, make on screen recording probably while playing games etc.
I understand this task might be difficult..

So I decided to start with the main elements of a computer
CPU- i5-2500k: basically heard from everywhere its capable of what I want, fast and a good price.
Gpu- I'm not to sure still but I am looking at a hd7970, found one I can purchase for around £250, I've been told this is the main place to invest.

Motherboard- currently do not have a clue, really need advice

So yeah about £400 gone on CPU+gpu... Thanks for your time and if you maybe able to help in any of those areas please do!

More about : build appreciated

September 12, 2012 10:46:28 AM

If you want to video edit etc., CUDA will help a little. Is there a specific reason for going with AMD?
Also, follow this template next time, it saves a lot of questions: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgra...
Like, will you need an OS? Monitor? Peripherals? Brands? I'll be happy to help, but these questions will help.
September 12, 2012 10:51:59 AM

Thanks for the reply loco, and no particular reason, just tried to get the best out of money I guess, heard it was reliable maybe abit to powerful for my needs I guess....

I'm basically very new to this just becoming an it student and believe building a computer will perhaps enhance my skills.. I've always loved games but building a computer from plugging in a Xbox is a big step up.. I was planning to play on hdmi tv, but apart from that I need everything although I might be able to dig abit deeper budget wise
Related resources
September 12, 2012 7:34:51 PM

Ok, so you will need a completely new build, as in you need an OS and peripherals. I'll look into a build, but in single monitor gaming/editing, the GeForce cards work a bit better.

I built my computer basically for a new experience, but with the building, it seems I have learned more than I thought I would, because of the problems/configurations I faced, this could definitely inprove skills!
September 16, 2012 1:18:08 AM

As for parts, I've been looking into some nice parts, but having followed the layout would've helped as I'm not sure 100% what it is you want. Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge for example.

If you start a new thread I'll be happy to help.
!