Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help, New build and No display or POST.

Last response: in Systems
September 12, 2012 10:42:15 AM

I have built a few computers in the past but can't understand this problem. Everything is in correctly, Yes CPU power, CPU fan, Mobo power (all), Tried one stick of RAM in all slots.

IT boots everything is on, fans spinning, HDD spinning, but no display, no beeps. I even tried booting with no RAM to hear the RAM error but nothing. Not a sound.

Yes I have used Search function, yes I have tried the stickies.

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3
Kingston 8GB 1600MHz DDR3CL11 (2x4GB HYPER X)
AMD FX4170 Bulldozer 4.2GHz 12MB Cache Socket AM3+
SEAGATE BARRACUDA,2TB
GEFORCE GTX560
Antec 300 (using another speaker, case has none)

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

More about : build display post

September 12, 2012 11:56:59 AM

Tried all of the above including new GFX card. IS it likely the MOBO is faulty?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

September 12, 2012 7:27:52 PM

Where is the monitor connected to? If there is no display, or even detection (monitor plugged into graphics card), then the card might be at fault. If not (monitor plugged into motherboard), then most likely the motherboard is at fault. Test where the monitor is plugged into and report back. Also, did you ever get a BIOS splash screen? Like is the problem new?
September 13, 2012 12:24:09 AM

Thanks for the reply, New build so no POST no flash, Monitor jsut says no signal. I've tried everything I can think of including old GFX card. Only thing I can't test in MOBO or CPU as I have no spare AM3 CPU or AM3+ Motherboard.

If the CPU was the problem would there be anything on the screen? I doubt that's the case, I'm thinking of taking board back tomorrow and seeing if they can test it.
m
l
September 16, 2012 1:15:06 AM

deaneedog said:
Thanks for the reply, New build so no POST no flash, Monitor jsut says no signal. I've tried everything I can think of including old GFX card. Only thing I can't test in MOBO or CPU as I have no spare AM3 CPU or AM3+ Motherboard.

If the CPU was the problem would there be anything on the screen? I doubt that's the case, I'm thinking of taking board back tomorrow and seeing if they can test it.

I don't think even buying a cheap AM3 CPU like this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... $43.99 or a motherboard: http://www.newegg.ca/Shopping/ShoppingItem.aspx?ItemLis... $45.99 would be worth it? If you are keen, maybe consider this, or just try and send both back, if you're sure one of them is the problem.

If you have tried everything, I think it's time for last resort, so weigh out the options, and go with what you think will be best.
m
l
September 16, 2012 1:26:49 AM

locomoco321 said:
I don't think even buying a cheap AM3 CPU like this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... $43.99 or a motherboard: http://www.newegg.ca/Shopping/ShoppingItem.aspx?ItemLis... $45.99 would be worth it? If you are keen, maybe consider this, or just try and send both back, if you're sure one of them is the problem.

If you have tried everything, I think it's time for last resort, so weigh out the options, and go with what you think will be best.

I took the board back yesterday, they are going to test it tomorrow. Will post back once resolved.
m
l
September 16, 2012 1:38:13 AM

Had an old system with a similar problem and, in my case, it turned out to be a failing PSU. Your PSU can be the culprit, but since your system is a new one, it might be a bad motherboard or very unlikely a bad CPU.

This bit of advice jsc gave me helped: (copied and pasted)

If no beeps:
Running fans and drives and motherboard LED's do not necessarily indicate a good PSU. In the absence of a single short beep, they also do not indicate that the system is booting.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FW [...] tube_gdata

A way that might be easier is to use the main power plug. Working from the back of the plug where the wires come out, use a bare paperclip to short between the green wire and one of the neighboring black wires. That will do the same thing with an installed PSU. It is also an easy way to bypass a questionable case power switch.

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

Hope you get it all sorted out.
m
l
September 16, 2012 1:50:50 AM

kanoobie said:
Had an old system with a similar problem and, in my case, it turned out to be a failing PSU. Your PSU can be the culprit, but since your system is a new one, it might be a bad motherboard or very unlikely a bad CPU.

This bit of advice jsc gave me helped: (copied and pasted)

If no beeps:
Running fans and drives and motherboard LED's do not necessarily indicate a good PSU. In the absence of a single short beep, they also do not indicate that the system is booting.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FW [...] tube_gdata

A way that might be easier is to use the main power plug. Working from the back of the plug where the wires come out, use a bare paperclip to short between the green wire and one of the neighboring black wires. That will do the same thing with an installed PSU. It is also an easy way to bypass a questionable case power switch.

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

Hope you get it all sorted out.

Thanks for the reply, I have tested it with a PSU that I know works 100%.
m
l
September 16, 2012 2:44:08 AM

deaneedog said:
I have built a few computers in the past but can't understand this problem. Everything is in correctly, Yes CPU power, CPU fan, Mobo power (all), Tried one stick of RAM in all slots.

IT boots everything is on, fans spinning, HDD spinning, but no display, no beeps. I even tried booting with no RAM to hear the RAM error but nothing. Not a sound.

Yes I have used Search function, yes I have tried the stickies.

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3
Kingston 8GB 1600MHz DDR3CL11 (2x4GB HYPER X)
AMD FX4170 Bulldozer 4.2GHz 12MB Cache Socket AM3+
SEAGATE BARRACUDA,2TB
GEFORCE GTX560
Antec 300 (using another speaker, case has none)

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

1. Have you tried configuring the BIOS?... it may be set in silent mode, therefore won't make a beep.
2. Temporarily remove the PCIe Video/Graphics Card & set the onboard video in the BIOS?

The BIOS should be in VGA mode by default... if you connected the monitor to the GEFORCE Video Card, it should be set in VGA Mode by default, but the BIOS may have to be set to use it... so initially you may have to connect the monitor to the motherboard VGA connector to have video.
m
l
September 16, 2012 3:08:07 AM

Chicano said:
1. Have you tried configuring the BIOS?... it may be set in silent mode, therefore won't make a beep.
2. Temporarily remove the PCIe Video/Graphics Card & set the onboard video in the BIOS?

The BIOS should be in VGA mode by default... if you connected the monitor to the GEFORCE Video Card, it should be set in VGA Mode by default, but the BIOS may have to be set to use it... so initially you may have to connect the monitor to the motherboard VGA connector to have video.

There is no on board graphics, there is no VGA connector on the card.
m
l
September 16, 2012 5:35:11 AM

deaneedog said:
There is no on board graphics, there is no VGA connector on the card.

OK, I get it... I didn't count on that... so maybe you should try with another video card, borrow one from another computer or buy a cheap VGA just to check/configure the BIOS to defaults. Have you tried resetting the BIOS with the jumper on the BIOS pins?

Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 PDF Manual
http://www.manualowl.com/p/Gigabyte/GA-970A-D3/Manual/1...

"No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" checklist
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
m
l
September 16, 2012 5:45:09 AM

Chicano said:
OK, I get it... I didn't count on that... so maybe you should try with another video card, borrow one from another computer or buy a cheap VGA just to check/configure the BIOS to defaults. Have you tried resetting the BIOS with the jumper on the BIOS pins?

Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 PDF Manual
http://www.manualowl.com/p/Gigabyte/GA-970A-D3/Manual/1...

"No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" checklist
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

I tried a different graphics card but It also doesn't support VGA, yes I also tried resetting the BIOS. Thanks heaps for the suggestions though. The motherboard is currently at the store I bought it from, they are going to test it and get back to me tomorrow.
m
l
September 17, 2012 11:02:16 PM

Got the new motherboard today and everything works fine... Was just a DOA board, thanks to everyone who helped.
m
l
September 20, 2012 12:53:46 AM

Best answer selected by deaneedog.
m
l
!