Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2012 11:14:24 PM

I currently have a GTX 560 ti. I have been looking to upgrade my card though. Right now I am between getting a 7950, a 7870, 670, and maybe a 7850 if I can get a really good deal. I was hoping I could get it any for 300 or less. My 560ti was refurbished and I was looking to sell it. How much money do you think I could sell it for on ebay? My biggest question is which one do you think is currently the best value for performance. I know that the 670 performs the best but all of these cards would perform better than my current
one. I was also hoping to SLI/crossfire them at some point. Does the 7870 allow three way crossfire? even though I'm pretty sure that I couldn't 3-way any of these cards with my current PSU. Also if you have any suggestions for a card that you think would be better that these could you list them so I can see if they are worth getting. Thank you for the help.

More about : upgrading gpu

a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2012 11:30:03 PM

lt_dan_zsu said:
I currently have a GTX 560 ti. I have been looking to upgrade my card though. Right now I am between getting a 7950, a 7870, 670, and maybe a 7850 if I can get a really good deal. I was hoping I could get it any for 300 or less. My 560ti was refurbished and I was looking to sell it. How much money do you think I could sell it for on ebay? My biggest question is which one do you think is currently the best value for performance. I know that the 670 performs the best but all of these cards would perform better than my current
one. I was also hoping to SLI/crossfire them at some point. Does the 7870 allow three way crossfire? even though I'm pretty sure that I couldn't 3-way any of these cards with my current PSU. Also if you have any suggestions for a card that you think would be better that these could you list them so I can see if they are worth getting. Thank you for the help.

Get another 560ti and SLI them, upgrading to any single card right now with a budget of $300 coming from a gtx 560ti won't give you a lot of improvement. However if you SLI gtx 560ti's you should get more fps than a gtx 680 :) 
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2012 11:37:48 PM

The thing that worried me is the longevity of the 560ti. It only has 1gb of ram. Which I know right now is not that big of a deal but max payne 3 used up almost all of my Vram so I would prefer to have a 2+gb card that I will be able to crossfire/sli in a year or so.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 1:30:44 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
The thing that worried me is the longevity of the 560ti. It only has 1gb of ram. Which I know right now is not that big of a deal but max payne 3 used up almost all of my Vram so I would prefer to have a 2+gb card that I will be able to crossfire/sli in a year or so.

The radeon 7870 Ghz edition is exactly $300 and has 2 gb V ram it will be a noticeable upgrade over your 560ti

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 206 U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 2:02:54 AM

I'm running 2 x GTX 570 OC 1.28GB in SLI right now at 1920x1080 and Max Payne 3 runs great with every single option on Max. It reports my Graphics RAM as 2560MB and lets me choose all the options with no memory limitations. Now I realize technically, you don't double the G RAM when you have 2 cards, but the program seems to accept it as double and allows all options to be used.
a c 86 U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 6:57:42 AM

clutchc said:
I'm running 2 x GTX 570 OC 1.28GB in SLI right now at 1920x1080 and Max Payne 3 runs great with every single option on Max. It reports my Graphics RAM as 2560MB and lets me choose all the options with no memory limitations. Now I realize technically, you don't double the G RAM when you have 2 cards, but the program seems to accept it as double and allows all options to be used.

It would probably run like crap at a higher resolution such as 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 even if you threw in a third 570 because of the low VRAM capacity. I don't know why it would report 2.5GB of VRAM if you have two 1.25GB cards unless it simply counts all VRAM across all cards even though it can't use that much VRAM with those cards. I'd be weary of the future-proofing of any cards that are at or near being maxed out in VRAM capacity right now, let alone how bad they are in truly RAM-intensive games right now and even worse, future RAM-intensive games. Sure, AA could always be dropped and the problem might be solved (or at least alleviated), but still.
!