How good is an intel g45/g43 express chipset

kid cudi

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hello,
I'd like to know if I can upgrade my Graphics Card so I can play Arma 2. I have a stock version of a Dell Inspiron 560 with an intel g45/g43 Express Chipset Graphics Card. If you have any suggestions that would be Great

kid cudi

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

My budget is probaly in the 350 or lower range and my computer is 7 inches wide and how do you figure out your power supply unit

Sorry buddy, you're out of luck. Arma II is an extremely demanding game and in DayZ's current state you're really not missing anything.

Integrated graphics processors can't be upgraded, they can only be replaced by using a discrete graphics card.

The G45 chipset is also quite old which tells me that you probably have an old Core 2 CPU which is not at all sufficient anymore.

The PSU on most cheap Dell PCs is in the ~300 Watt range at best.

If you want to play DayZ you'll need a whole new computer

kid cudi

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

Nah I don't play DayZ just Arma 2 but my computer was bought brand new in 2009 and it has a Pentium dual core E5700 3 GHz processor so dont know if that really helps at all and Im not really that tech savvy

Ah okay, I figured that you were just looking to jump in on the DayZ bandwagon like everyone else. It's a good premise but it's also a shining example of why early Alphas shouldn't be released for public consumption.

Anyway, the E5700 is a rather low end processor that will be a severe hamper to any modern gaming

to be fair, only in high resolution gaming, if this is on a lower resolution, its still perfectly fine to do so.

according to dell

Slots

PCIe x16(1), PCIe x 1(1)

Power

300 Watt Power Supply

so this essentially means you can add a gpu, but your gpu choices are gravely hindered by your power supply. you have essentially 2 choices, but a low power gpu like a 6670 or a 7750 and hope for the best it works, or change the psu and essentially unlock the sub 200 cards to your disposal

kid cudi

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

Thanks man really appreciate sorry Im not very tech savvy at ALL, but how much would that cost getting a new power supply

depends, if you want to go bare minimum for a decent unit Corsair builder 45$ -15% off = 38.25 and theres a 10 dollar mail in rebate if you do those.

the unit will open up for you to be able to use single pin cards: 550ti, 6750, 6770, 6790, 7770, 6850 and lower end 2 6 pin cards if you want to push it and use the molex to 6 pin connector(which isnt the best of ideas but can be done with low end models) which opens you to the gtx 460, hd 6870 and gtx 560. any more then the cpu will probably hurt you in the long run.

I'm not in the business of giving advice that I feel will lead to disappointment so I will say that this is against my better judgement.

Anyway, yes you can install a graphics card. However, you're going to be severely limited by the tiny 300 watt power supply (max) included in your computer. I would ask that you take a look at it and find out for certain because I'm going off of a poor spec sheet.

A new power supply would have to be in the 450-500 watt range and also be compatible with your case and components. Almost all retail cases use the ATX formfactor but OEMs such as HP an Dell have a bad habit of using other form factors on some devices. They also have a habit of using custom connectors designed to work only with their own power supplies. This is a form of vendor lock-in. Before you buy anything you will have to verify that it will work.

Here is one power supply that will work. It's cheap but it will do in a pinch:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371045

Here is the one that I would actually recommend for a new budget system. If you think that you might replace the CPU/motherboard/RAM sometime in the next year or so then you can carry this over along with the GPU. I would not recommend that the one above be carried over to a new system. SeaSonic PSUs are worth the extra money

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151074

Here is a good, modern graphics card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102986

Together those come to $300 and both can be used in a new computer without issue.

As per my previous statement, you'll have to make sure that the PSU will work before you replace it. I also highly advise that you replace the rest of the components as soon as possible.