My alchemy is 268 right now so I'm 7 levels away from being able to use
my Arcanite Transmute recipe. I'm wondering how people use this. Do
you transmute for others for a tip, or do you buy the Arcane Crystal
and the sell the bar on the AH.

If I'm reading my SavedVariables.lua file correctly it looks like the
Auctioneer stored varaibles has Arcane Crystal selling for about 18
gold and the Arcanite Bar for about 26. That seems almost too good to
be true (8 gold profit). Granted its on a 48 hour timer, but thats
basically a free 8 gold every couple of days.

8gp every 2 days isn't bad. Its not very good either. As far as
transmutes go only Felcloth->Mooncloth is worse (2gp -> 10gp / 4 days).

If you're poor you can just sell the transmute for roughly 4-6 gp but
the buyer will usually provide material. If you're a bit richer you can
afford to buy your own Arcane Crystals and transmute them for a bit
more profit. Bear in mind that this is a bit risky, prices fluctuate so
you need to be patient and buy them at roughly 17-18gp. The sales price
also fluctuates so you can sell them for anywhere between 26-28gp. You
are talking about a profit margin between 8 to 11gp.

The best thing to do is really Water -> Air (on my server water is 7-8,
air is 16-17) or Undead to Water (1gp to 7-8 gp) but on a 1 day timer.

Lehi wrote:

> Unless of course you are alliance on Bronzebeard, or horde on
> Frostmane, in which case the skill is worthless - so drop it and pick
> up mining.
>

> Bronzebeard PVE:
> Lehi - 60 Human Paladin
> Bathsheba - 60 Human Rogue
>
> Frostmane PVP:
> Laban - 60 Troll Rogue
> Korohor - 24 Undead Warlock

Hmm. My guess is you are an Alchemist on the aforemetioned
servers/factions and don't want the competition. :)

Caeryn Dryad of Whisperwind wrote:
> 8gp every 2 days isn't bad. Its not very good either. As far as
> transmutes go only Felcloth->Mooncloth is worse (2gp -> 10gp / 4 days).
>
> If you're poor you can just sell the transmute for roughly 4-6 gp but
> the buyer will usually provide material. If you're a bit richer you can
> afford to buy your own Arcane Crystals and transmute them for a bit
> more profit. Bear in mind that this is a bit risky, prices fluctuate so
> you need to be patient and buy them at roughly 17-18gp. The sales price
> also fluctuates so you can sell them for anywhere between 26-28gp. You
> are talking about a profit margin between 8 to 11gp.
>
> The best thing to do is really Water -> Air (on my server water is 7-8,
> air is 16-17) or Undead to Water (1gp to 7-8 gp) but on a 1 day timer.

I'm a level 36 rogue with about 190 gold. To earn 8 gold now I have to
go out and gather herbs, or make potions and hope they sell. So
getting 8 gold for little to no effort will be great.

Hehe,

I currently have 3 Mooncloth timers and 2 Alchemy timers for an average
of 20gp a day for doing nothing =) And if you hold on to your Air and
Water the prices fluctuate +/- 2 so don't dump it asap.

>My alchemy is 268 right now so I'm 7 levels away from being able to use
>my Arcanite Transmute recipe. I'm wondering how people use this. Do
>you transmute for others for a tip, or do you buy the Arcane Crystal
>and the sell the bar on the AH.

You do it for a fee (typically around 5g).

>If I'm reading my SavedVariables.lua file correctly it looks like the
>Auctioneer stored varaibles has Arcane Crystal selling for about 18
>gold and the Arcanite Bar for about 26. That seems almost too good to
>be true (8 gold profit). Granted its on a 48 hour timer, but thats
>basically a free 8 gold every couple of days.

That sounds pretty accurate. Market values fluctuate a little so
don't load up on too many crystals because by the time you are ready
to sell the bars, the bar price may have dropped near the amount you
purchased the crystals. In other words, there's more risk this way,
but a greater opportunity for profits.

On 13 Sep 2005 11:04:16 -0700, Tilvios <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> My alchemy is 268 right now so I'm 7 levels away from being able to use
> my Arcanite Transmute recipe. I'm wondering how people use this. Do
> you transmute for others for a tip, or do you buy the Arcane Crystal
> and the sell the bar on the AH.
>
> If I'm reading my SavedVariables.lua file correctly it looks like the
> Auctioneer stored varaibles has Arcane Crystal selling for about 18
> gold and the Arcanite Bar for about 26. That seems almost too good to
> be true (8 gold profit). Granted its on a 48 hour timer, but thats
> basically a free 8 gold every couple of days.

That's what I thought as well. However, the crystals are more like 20-22g on
my server (Dun Morogh, EU), and while I've seen Arcanite Bars listed for
26-28g, often I see them listed at 20-25g. I tried making money this way
twice, once making 3g and the second time just scraping by (after relisting
the bloody bar 3 times!) I have decided to give up on this way of making
money. Selling stacks of 20 of some herbs is a lot more lucrative for me at
the moment.

However, I have been wondering. Althought I try to scan the AH using
auctioneer roughly once a month, I have the impression that many of the
things I am trying to sell are listed considerably (factor 2-5) lower than
what auctioneer suggests. Doesn't the plugin scan the AH to get an image
what the going price on my server is? If I list most green items at the
prices suggested by auctioneer I can never get rid of them.

I'm I too thick to use it correctly or is the economy on our server just
gone down the drain. The second would be amazing with all the people afraid
of inflation because of gold farming and such - maybe the Chinese don't
speak enough German to make this an issue yet :)

Cheers
Urbin

--
Urbin (56), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Gera (14), Human Paladin (PvE) @dunmorogh.de

Urbin wrote:

> That's what I thought as well. However, the crystals are more like 20-22g on
> my server (Dun Morogh, EU), and while I've seen Arcanite Bars listed for
> 26-28g, often I see them listed at 20-25g. I tried making money this way
> twice, once making 3g and the second time just scraping by (after relisting
> the bloody bar 3 times!) I have decided to give up on this way of making
> money. Selling stacks of 20 of some herbs is a lot more lucrative for me at
> the moment.

I think you just have to be patient and not worry about getting the
crystal right away. Last night I saw a lot of crystals with the buyout
from 20 to 22. To me that seemed risky. I also noticed a couple with
no buyout and a starting bid at 17 that had a "long" duration. So I
placed my bid at 17.23 and went to bed. When I woke up this morning I
was pleasantly suprised that I got my crystal.

Now the same holds true for selling. I don't mind relisting, and
really I've got a couple days between transmutes so I'm in no hurry to
sell.

Of course the European market might be completely different. But I
don't think a good mark-up betwen the crystals and bars is unreasonable
when it's on a 48 hour timer.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:18:29 -0500, Lehi <right@behin.edu> wrote:
> >My alchemy is 268 right now so I'm 7 levels away from being able to use
> >my Arcanite Transmute recipe. I'm wondering how people use this. Do
> >you transmute for others for a tip, or do you buy the Arcane Crystal
> >and the sell the bar on the AH.
>
> You do it for a fee (typically around 5g).

I guess it all depends on your server's prices.

On Stormrage Europe, I see people advertising transmute services for
5-6g. But I can buy a crystal in the AH for 22-28g, and sell the bar for
30-36g, generally making 8-10g a time.

I just wish I'd bought a lot more crytals a few months back, when they
were only 12g each ... (ah! those were the days!).
--
Zil, Level 60 NE Priest, Stormrage Europe.

Tilvios wrote:

> My alchemy is 268 right now so I'm 7 levels away from being able to use
> my Arcanite Transmute recipe. I'm wondering how people use this. Do
> you transmute for others for a tip, or do you buy the Arcane Crystal
> and the sell the bar on the AH.
>
> If I'm reading my SavedVariables.lua file correctly it looks like the
> Auctioneer stored varaibles has Arcane Crystal selling for about 18
> gold and the Arcanite Bar for about 26. That seems almost too good to
> be true (8 gold profit). Granted its on a 48 hour timer, but thats
> basically a free 8 gold every couple of days.

Yes, transmuting crystals and selling the bars is more profitable than
offering just the service.

I've never had an arcanite bar not sell for the buyout.

Caeryn Dryad of Whisperwind wrote:

> The best thing to do is really Water -> Air (on my server water is 7-8,
> air is 16-17) or Undead to Water (1gp to 7-8 gp) but on a 1 day timer.

These recipes are quite pricey. Kind of out of my league at the
moment. But I'll keep my eyes open for a deal.