Graphics card overheating upon computer boot up

Dudeguykid

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hello members of Tom's Hardware,
Less than a month ago bought a pre-built PC with a GT 630 graphics card, i7 3770 @3.4GHz processor and 6 GB ram. It served me well for about 2 weeks, but when I started it up I found that my games were stuttering and were running below the FPS they normally did. I then monitored the temperature on Speedfan: it was idling at 60-65 degrees celcius and the temperature would not drop; in fact, it would only increase if I opened a 3D application. So I tried rolling back to the previously installed display driver, and the temperatures suddenly went back to normal and the GPU was cooling down normally.

However, when I booted up my PC again the next day, the problem reappeared. I decided to update to the latest version of the display driver and the problem once again disappeared. I have no idea what the cause of this problem is, and dust is certainly not a factor. Is this a sign of a faulty GPU?

For reference, all my other temperatures are stable, even when the GPU is in its overheated state; CPU idles at 45 degrees, MOBO at 28 degrees and hard drive at 38. If someone could help me diagnose this problem at the very least, I would be grateful. Thanks in advance.

Dudeguykid

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I didn't do anything in particular. I didn't change the clock speeds, or anything like that. I think I installed Crysis, but that's it. Speaking of which, could a program be the cause of this problem?

DANWIN

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
why would you downgrade to directX 9 ( bro just upgrade to directX11 if you didn't already and if that doesn't work then something is probally faulty and you should get some sort of refund for it

DANWIN

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
why would you downgrade to directX 9 ( bro just upgrade to directX11 if you didn't already and if that doesn't work then something is probally faulty and you should get some sort of refund for it

xaephod

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
DX9 has nothing to do with your GPU overheating. I would see if its still under warranty and have it replaced. If its not, you may want to check the cooling fan and possible reseat it with new thermal paste and/or replace it with an aftermarket cooler.

dingo07

Distinguished

if you didn't do anything, then it's a bum card, period.

Dudeguykid

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
@DanWin That's not really how DirectX works - but that's going off-topic.

@xaephod I'll consider it.

@simon12 That's true, but I don't think you've read my full post. My GPU idles at 39-41 degrees celcius. When I restart my computer it skyrockets to 60+ degrees in an instant and my games stutter.