First gaming pc, help me improve it!

Jammy95

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
I'm planning on building my own pc soon, probably around Christmas time. I've put a ton of time into researching hardware and I've pretty much decided on the final parts. The pc will be used primarily for gaming and possibly for video editing in the future.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
PSU: Corsair 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

I want a system that can play any game at max quality on a single display, is this system capable of this? Should I bother with the 3570k or just drop down to the 2500k instead?

Max budget is £1000, but the lower the better. Any and all advice welcome :)

(I know I'm missing a cpu fan, I'll pick one up/overclock at a later date)

Thanks

It all looks good and will do what you want. There is little reason to get the 2500K as though it overclocks better it needs to to get the same performance, at maximum overclock on both there is not much between them and its just luck as to how high the CPU you get can get to. You should check which components are best value closer to when you order them.

Someone's research paid off ;) And it paid off well!

Your rig is perfect as far as I can see, there's not much I can say besides the obvious; CPU fan, but you mentioned getting that at a later date.

Your rig will most likely be able to max out any current title at 1080p and 1440p, and most likely play future titles on very reasonable settings.

The one gripe I do have is the lack of an SSD. I'll be back with a parts list :) It may be a little over-budget but it's definitely something you should consider.

**EDITED WITH PARTS LIST**

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£177.32 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler (£36.81 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£37.08 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£64.80 @ Novatech)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£79.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£317.60 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case (£78.89 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer (£13.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £966.44
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-12 16:16 BST+0100)

If you're looking to overclock the snot out of your CPU, then I would recommend an i5 2500k, however, if you're just looking for performance, the i5 3570k will do just as well. Generally speaking, the max OC on both chips are around 5Ghz (2500k) and 4.6-4.7Ghz (3570k). We know that Ivy Bridge is around 5% faster Clock-for-Clock so that puts the 3570k's max OC of 4.6-4.7Ghz equivalent to 4.9-5Ghz on the 2500k :)

Also, I just noticed you went a little overkill on your PSU; you won't need more than around 500w for the GTX670 as it's a very power efficient card. I put a 550w PSU in this parts list to give you reasonable headroom for overclocking both your GPU and CPU.

If you have any questions please let me know and I'll be more than happy to assist :)

Jammy95

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Thanks for the help! In reply to your ssd stuff, I forgot to mention that I'm planning on buying one at a later date, just like the cpu fan. This build is just the most basic version, the parts I can get asap :p. But thanks, I'll keep note of that fan and ssd. Also, thanks for the PSU advice :)

Mind if I ask why you chose the MSI GTX 670 over the EVGA version?

P.s It's funny you use Pc part picker as well, ever heard of KBMOD?

The particular GTX670 I chose is the Power Edition card which allows for over-volting the GPU for better overclocks. EVGA, on the other hand, still uses a reference Nvidia cooler, which is horrible for OC purposes; not to mention, louder.

Also I'm not too sure about the particular card you chose but, I'm pretty sure EVGA did away with their lifetime warranty as well, so there's really no point getting a reference designed card nowadays with so many better options out there - such as the MSI card I linked :lol:

Now that you mention you plan to get an SSD and CPU cooler later on, I have absolutely no gripes about your rig besides some minor things such as types of cards, etc :)

Also, yes, I've heard of KBMOD. Not a follower or anything, though :lol: just heard of their name.

Jammy95

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012

Ohhh, sorry I was being stupid :p I thought that was a card with a reference cooler :p I was wondering why you wanted me to pay £17 more :lol:

And I guess if you haven't heard of KBMOD PC Part Picker must be bigger than I thought, thanks for the help :D

You're very welcome! :)

Also, PCPartPicker is pretty big on this forum, especially in the Systems section :lol: it's a very easy way to put together a rig and link them instead of linking every individual part one-by-one :)