Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PC Boots straight to "splash screen", not windows

Last response: in CPUs
January 26, 2013 6:57:13 PM

I really need your help guys. I've put in the man-hours searching the site/Youtube vids etc and no love. The problem; My Windows Vista Gateway PC boots to the "splash screen" every time I turn the power on and not into Windows. If you know it, it's the one that says F2 to go into etc F10 to go into etc Of course I tried to power up with these buttons depressed and tapped, nothing.
History; I had Windows wiped and reinstalled by a pro last week (he's trustworthy/competent).
What I've tried; When I unplug all my peripheral USB items, the mouse, internet cable and then boot it up with F2 it goes into the CMOS screen, from there when I "escape", it goes into Windows and all works fine, I plug the rest back in..I did check the boot sequence and the hard drive is the #1 choice in BIOS, so it's not set to boot from DVD or other. Anyone know what might be up, and why it will boot up to Windows from F2 if I unplug the peripherals?
Thank you friends
a c 141 à CPUs
January 26, 2013 7:12:46 PM

wyattspoppa said:
I really need your help guys. I've put in the man-hours searching the site/Youtube vids etc and no love. The problem; My Windows Vista Gateway PC boots to the "splash screen" every time I turn the power on and not into Windows. If you know it, it's the one that says F2 to go into etc F10 to go into etc Of course I tried to power up with these buttons depressed and tapped, nothing.
History; I had Windows wiped and reinstalled by a pro last week (he's trustworthy/competent).
What I've tried; When I unplug all my peripheral USB items, the mouse, internet cable and then boot it up with F2 it goes into the CMOS screen, from there when I "escape", it goes into Windows and all works fine, I plug the rest back in..I did check the boot sequence and the hard drive is the #1 choice in BIOS, so it's not set to boot from DVD or other. Anyone know what might be up, and why it will boot up to Windows from F2 if I unplug the peripherals?
Thank you friends

I would run a S.M.A.R.T HDD diag test it could be a problem with a dying HDD. Is it doing anything else. What I mean is; it goes to the spalsh screen then what? Does it flash into a black screen as if it trying to load the OS, does it give you a BSOD or does it just get stuck ad lock up on the splash screen?
January 27, 2013 10:06:11 AM

Thanks for replying, more info...It simply goes to the splash screen and stays there, it won't respond to tapping F2 or F10 while I'm booting it up, only when I power it down and remove these peripherals; the speaker jack and the mouse, then unplug the power cable, press power to purge static electricity, power back up tapping F2 and Voila, Windows appears. This makes me curious if a peripheral being plugged in can mess up a boot because if I leave the speaker, mouse and ethernet cables in. it won't boot up. Oh, a failing hard drive is unlikely, although it's older, my Mother-in-law barely uses it, she plays solitaire and light web browsing, it never get's a real workout. The screen flashes on occasion, but only when watching a movie, never in Windows, I've used it heavily this week, decrypting video, watching movies, I barely shut it off, it runs fine. Hope this helps you.
Related resources

Best solution

a c 141 à CPUs
January 27, 2013 4:01:36 PM

It shouldn't but I have seen weird things like that before especially with USB devices like USB flash drives. I had one customer who insisted their compute was "broken." Turns out that they had a USB thumb drive in the back IO USB port. What was happening was the BIOS boot priority was set to check for USB devices to boot from first, it was trying to boot from the thumb drive but there was nothing on it so it got stuck. I also had a customer who has a garden shop and she had a barcode scanner. She had XP before and she could have the scanner plugged in when booing with no problem. When I built her a new computer with Windows 7 the computer wouldn't boot into windows. It would boot to the splash screen, get stuck for a second the give a BSOD. So the point is yea peripherals usually don't cause problems when booting but they can, anything is always possible with computers.

Starting from a cold boot unplug all peripherals except the keyboard and mouse, what happens?

If the problem still happens try again. Compleatly shut down the computer. Pull out everything even the mouse nd keyboard does that solve the problem?
February 2, 2013 11:11:31 PM

rds1220 said:
It shouldn't but I have seen weird things like that before especially with USB devices like USB flash drives. I had one customer who insisted their compute was "broken." Turns out that they had a USB thumb drive in the back IO USB port. What was happening was the BIOS boot priority was set to check for USB devices to boot from first, it was trying to boot from the thumb drive but there was nothing on it so it got stuck. I also had a customer who has a garden shop and she had a barcode scanner. She had XP before and she could have the scanner plugged in when booing with no problem. When I built her a new computer with Windows 7 the computer wouldn't boot into windows. It would boot to the splash screen, get stuck for a second the give a BSOD. So the point is yea peripherals usually don't cause problems when booting but they can, anything is always possible with computers.

Starting from a cold boot unplug all peripherals except the keyboard and mouse, what happens?

If the problem still happens try again. Compleatly shut down the computer. Pull out everything even the mouse nd keyboard does that solve the problem?

It does boot up if I unplug and hold the power button after to discharge static elec. Now it's starting by itself again, I've done nothing except maybe run a virus scan. The boot sequence is in the proper order, no USB stuff except the mouse/keypad...but wait! I did disconnect my wireless mouse and switch to old-fashioned wired mouse because the mouse wasn't reading well. So now it's booting into CMOS and I just have to hit enter, we get to Windows now, minor inconvenience but I'd like it to boot straight to Win and skip CMOS
Thank
February 2, 2013 11:12:44 PM

Best answer selected by wyattspoppa.
!