Sign in with
Your question

I shut down new computer, won't turn back on

Last response: in Systems
September 12, 2012 4:23:51 PM

Hey everyone, I just finished installing os and programs on my new computer. Everything was working perfectly fine. After finishing setting up, I turned the computer off for 1 min, just to move my top exhaust fan wire, because it was causing a slight rattle. I did not touch anything but the fan wire. Now my computer is dead, won't turn back on. I checked to see if everything is plugged in, tried using a different power outlet, unplugged psu plug for a little while. Still will not turn on...

Specs:

I5 3570k
ASRock z77 extreme4
Seasonic x650 psu
Samsung 830 ssd
Gtx 660ti
Corsair vengeance 8gb

Any idea what the problem is?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2012 4:37:55 PM

Did you, by chance, press the PSU toggle switch to the off position when you changed the fan wire?
m
l
September 12, 2012 4:40:15 PM

No, just shut off computer. Moved a fan wire that was pinched between case and fan. Did not unplug or switch anything.
m
l
Related resources
September 12, 2012 4:44:02 PM

John1988 said:
No, just shut off computer. Moved a fan wire that was pinched between case and fan. Did not unplug or switch anything.

Just double check the switch though, can be very easy to do!
m
l
September 12, 2012 4:50:27 PM

The switch is on the "I" position which means on, just double checked manual. Isn't there a little Ethernet LED in the back supposed to be lit even when the computer is off? If so mine is off.
m
l
September 12, 2012 4:56:42 PM

John1988 said:
The switch is on the "I" position which means on, just double checked manual. Isn't there a little Ethernet LED in the back supposed to be lit even when the computer is off? If so mine is off.

Should be, check all the cables are pluged in, just incase you bumped something, seems funny that you went in and something went. Could be a dead PSU or Mobo, my money would be on the mobo as it is Asrock and hate em.
m
l
September 12, 2012 5:03:11 PM

Hmm I wondering if my power supply is dead. Someone just left a review on newegg that his was working for the night, and the next day wouldn't power anything. Newegg just had a sale on these, maybe they need to get rid of their lemons...
m
l
September 12, 2012 5:04:09 PM

John1988 said:
Hmm I wondering if my power supply is dead. Someone just left a review on newegg that his was working for the night, and the next day wouldn't power anything. Newegg just had a sale on these, maybe they need to get rid of their lemons...

Do you have a spare one? It must be that or the Mobo...
m
l
September 12, 2012 5:07:30 PM

I want to get this system up and running today, maybe I will "will call" a Seasonic x750 at newegg, since they're on sale right now. I can swap the psu, keep the cables, return new cables with broken psu.
m
l
September 12, 2012 5:10:20 PM

John1988 said:
I want to get this system up and running today, maybe I will "will call" a Seasonic x750 at newegg, since they're on sale right now. I can swap the psu, keep the cables, return new cables with broken psu.

Maybe, not really got an idea on this, I've made a build myself but never had problems, so maybe try and get someone in here that has!
m
l
September 12, 2012 5:50:58 PM

Placed an order for a Seasonic X750 for like $12 bucks more than I paid for the X650 because of the 20% off sale. Also ordered 8 more gigs of memory just for the hell of it. I am $350ish over my original $850 budget now lol. I really hope it is the PSU that is dead.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2012 5:52:00 PM

Double check that the 24-pin and 4/8-pin power connectors are firmly (until they click) attached to the motherboard.
m
l
September 12, 2012 5:55:33 PM

Everything is properly clicked in, I checked the whole system. Still no juice!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2012 6:18:19 PM

The possibility of a defective PSU is certainly feasible, but Seasonic generally makes pretty good stuff. Regardless, did your fan wire appear to be pinched and the insulation damaged to expose the copper wires? It is possible that the system got shorted.
m
l
September 12, 2012 7:01:19 PM

Unplug the PSU from the wall for ~ 30 minutes, plug it back in and try it again.
m
l
September 12, 2012 7:05:49 PM

I checked the fan wire, it does appear to be damaged somewhat. I don't see any exposed copper though. This is the 140mm top fan on the Antec Three Hundred Two case btw. I also noticed it's NOT the fan power wire, it's the wire that connects to the built in fan controller on the back of the case. The wire was pinched between fan and top panel, I just nudged it back into the little slit. You think my system got shorted?

Pic:

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2012 7:23:48 PM

Disconnect those wires and try to boot again. They could be actively shorting the entire system.
m
l
September 12, 2012 8:42:41 PM

Just got back from newegg with the new psu and memory, will give it a shot with the fan disconnected before trying the new psu.
m
l
September 12, 2012 9:09:39 PM

Disconnected the fan, still no power. Going to put in the new psu now, and hope for the best.
m
l
September 12, 2012 9:34:25 PM

Computer works with the new X750! Is it safe to say the X650 was defective now? Or could I have broken it when moving that fan control wire? It was the first time I shut down the computer when it wouldn't turn back on. Before was just a few restarts from downloading drivers etc.

Since I added the psu and memory, should I reformat my ssd? Or is my comp still "clean"? That's my OCD kicking in, I always reformat when I add new hardware.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2012 11:01:23 PM

No need to reload because of a new PSU. Return the defective one.

Good luck!
m
l
November 18, 2013 3:17:54 PM

Did you, by any chance whatsoever, shock the mobo accidentally with static? It can be very easy to do and could ruin the whole rig:( 
m
l
!