Is this a good gaming PC build?

corona2172

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hi all. I've perused this site before and I realize that many of you are as knowledgeable as you are helpful (in a good way lol). I am not the most savvy person when it comes to components;IE, I know what a part does, but not necessarily which part is better than another of the same type. I digress; I just customized an IBUYPOWER Paladin D875. I don't mind the price tag, and I do not wish to exceed it by much more than it currently is, and I have already payed for it. However, it is not too late for me to make changes to my order. I don't really mind if there is a part that is "over-kill" or "unnecessary", rather I want to know if there is going to be any part that will hold me back while gaming on ultra settings, etc. Also, will this config work well with games that are quite CPU intensive? I'm trying to get a PC that will crush todays games. Thanks in advance!
P.S. I know building it myself would not only be cheaper, it would be better, etc. But I don't have the time at the moment.

1 x Case Thermaltake Armor Revo Full Tower Gaming Case - Black
1 x Case Lighting Cold Cathode Neon Light - Blue
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction None
1 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Modules
1 x Processor Intel® Core™ i7 3960X Processor Extreme Edition (6x 3.30GHz/15MB L3) - Intel Core i7 3960X
0 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive None
1 x Processor Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooling System - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)
1 x Memory 16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand
1 x Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 - 4GB - Single Card
1 x Video Card Brand Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA
1 x Free Stuff [FREE] - Gigabyte GC-WB300D Bluetooth 4.0 / Dual Band WiFi Expansion Card - Free with purchase of selected Gigabyte Motherboard
1 x Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 -- 4x PCI-E x16, 6x SATA 6Gb/s
1 x Power Supply 1000 Watt - AZZA Titan 1000W
1 x Primary Hard Drive 60 GB Intel 330 SSD - Single Drive **FREE After $99 Mail-In Rebate Single Drive Only**
1 x Data Hard Drive 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
1 x Optical Drive [12X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black
0 x 2nd Optical Drive None
1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer 12-In-1 External USB Flash Media Card Reader/Writer
1 x Meter Display NZXT Sentry 2 Touch Screen Fan Controller & Temperature Display
0 x USB Expansion None
1 x Sound Card Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
1 x Network Card Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card
1 x Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit
0 x Monitor None
0 x 2nd Monitor None
1 x Speaker System iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System
0 x Video Camera None
1 x Advanced Build Options Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound - The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks
1 x Advanced Build Options Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis
1 x Advanced Build Options Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Basic Pro Wiring
1 x Case Engraving Service Custom Message - Max 35 characters (including spaces) - [One Rig to Rule Them All]
1 x Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty Service
1 x Rush Service Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days

spat55

Distinguished

Why don't you just let us build you one? It's as easy as lego or airfix :lol:

corona2172

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Heh, I know. To be honest, i'm sure I will do it myself next time. Glad to hear that I should be happy with it. I intend to use it primarily for gaming, but also to do the schoolwork/movies/music thing as well.

spat55

Distinguished

Your GPU is sooo nice!! I wanted a GTX 670, (which was to much!) and you got the bloody GTX 690!! It'll last you 5 years I'd say!

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
when i look at this kind of build it seems you can make something so much better for the price
im guessing the price tag is close to 3k

make a real build here

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hfDP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hfDP/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hfDP/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($83.74 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($225.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.88 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($111.71 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1961.26
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-12 12:57 EDT-0400)

of course i can put in a lot more but i will put in more stuff after i hear you want to do more to it of course and i can put in a custom water cooling instead of the Corsair all in ones

spat55

Distinguished

Why I said he should build it himself, but hey what he has isn't terrible, just could of got the prices down and added more!

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

Yea all true there. I guess i can understand if he is lazy and he would just buy $1500 worth or parts then make someone build it for him for about $500 like Ibuypower but i think you would rather just get your friend to build it for you if you are so lazy lol.

spat55

Distinguished

I find it fun doing it myself, at least I can see what the hell is in their and not all the cheap rubbish they normally put in.

corona2172

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Lol, while I admit that having it customized for me could be construed as lazy, I would like to mention that I am an Infantry Squad Leader in the U.S. Army who is also going back to school full time.... so, again, while I would love to learn how to build my own PC, just the way I like it, I simply have to do a cost risk analysis and say "Yeah, but I really don't have the time, despite how nice it would be". Besides, I don't mind paying for it.. It was not being lazy that has made my paycheck bigger.... well, that and the taxpayer I suppose lol. Oh, and the pricetag was 3,302 USD.

Either way, Boulbox, I have a question: Why would it be better for me to have that i5 processor rather than the one I picked? Is it better for gaming?

Spat: Lol thanks. Honestly, that was the biggest gut-check for me. I wasn't going to go with the 690... but, I had a little bit of mead, came back to my laptop, made the switch and pressed buy, lol.

Second: I guess what i'm still wondering is "Is this computer going to play any game out there on max settings without a prob?

Third: If anyone has ever played Arma 2 or Shogun 2, would this PC run them full throttle?

corona2172

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
P.S. If I do recieve the PC as built, and I decided that I would like to change out parts (or add to the PC in general), would you guys still be able to help me with it at that point?

spat55

Distinguished

The i5 3570k isn't better than the i7, it's just for gaming you will not use it to it's full potential, I forgot now but I was looking at it for myself and decided for whatever reason their wasn't a need to spend the extra on it.

EDIT: With the GTX 690 you'll max out everything for 2 years at least I would say, my radeon 7850 $200 can just about hold battlefield 3 at ultra on multiplayer in smaller games with 32 players, and considering your's is probably 3x times more powerful than that you haven't got a problem except for your bank balance :lol:

spat55

Distinguished

Yh, we can, just start a new thread or give me a PM, I wouldn't say you need a upgrade for ages though...

corona2172

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

Ah, good to know. So, I should be able to play any game maxed without a hitch? Even CPU intensive ones? Arma 2 and Shogun 2 are the ones i'm really aiming to max, and arma 3 and rome 2 are coming soon lol.

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
yea you can run a perfect 60+fps with an i5 and a 670.

there are things to realize though.

if you plan on going with 3+ monitors you should go with a 7970 GHz edition if not a single 670 will do your work

and since you are in the army, there are bound to be tons of people that love computers in there. I had a few friends that loved computers and went into the army so you can give yourself time by giving a buddy a list of parts you want inside and pay him for his time building it for you.

i wouldn't really go as high as 3k(unless it includes monitors) so a 1.5k-2k builds are really the sweet spot. but even if you just want to max out those games above, you can max them out with just a 1k build

for this build below i did not put inside a gpu since it will/should be your preference, all i can give is a few suggestions
1) a really nice card i would not really plan on getting a 2nd one of these since some people have problems of microstuttering.
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=72914&vpn=N670%20PE%202GD5%2FOC&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar&promoid=1373
2)a very nice GPU works well inside CF(since the new update anyways so make sure you update the drivers) and its just as fast as a 680
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202001

for the rest of the build it will be a bit mainstream
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hlmF
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hlmF/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hlmF/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($83.74 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($225.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.88 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($111.71 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.47 @ Amazon)
Total: $1159.75
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-13 13:16 EDT-0400)

of course i left inside enough room if you want to change anything, also added a blu ray burner if you want to watch any of those stuff.
i added a strong PSU that will allow you to have 2 GPUs inside
the motherboard may seem cheap but it really won't see any difference between this motherboard and $200 motherboards(unless you are using difference kinds of software Ex: Bluetooth) and i don't really think a motherboard should cost more than the CPU itself anyways.

The case has many colors you can choose your pick
http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Phantom-Tower-Gaming-Case/dp/B006I2H04I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347556813&sr=8-1&keywords=410+nzxt