What's a good Rogue sword

Joe

I have heard that a dagger with poison in the main-hand and a slow sword in
the off-hand is best for Rogue.

Which of the following swords would be best in the off-hand:
A. Lvl 33 DPS 36-39 Delay 2.2 Str+3 Sta+8
B. Lvl 29 DPS 43-81 Delay 2.8 Int+5 Spi+6
C. Lvl 28 DPS 40-75 Delay 2.7 Str+7 Sta+3
D. Lvl 28 DPS 40-75 Delay 2.7 Int+7 Sta+3

I would guess C, but I don't know if 2.7 is too slow.
Any help is appreciated.

joe wrote:
> I have heard that a dagger with poison in the main-hand and a slow sword in
> the off-hand is best for Rogue.
>
> Which of the following swords would be best in the off-hand:
> A. Lvl 33 DPS 36-39 Delay 2.2 Str+3 Sta+8
> B. Lvl 29 DPS 43-81 Delay 2.8 Int+5 Spi+6
> C. Lvl 28 DPS 40-75 Delay 2.7 Str+7 Sta+3
> D. Lvl 28 DPS 40-75 Delay 2.7 Int+7 Sta+3
>
> I would guess C, but I don't know if 2.7 is too slow.
> Any help is appreciated.

For your off-hand, I'd recommend good fast dagger for poison procs. I
use a 1.4 speed dagger myself (with +4 agi IRRC). None of these
choices even have +agi and are slow, I don't think I'd take any of them
for offhand.

Oh and you have it reversed. Put the slow weapon in your main-hand for
Sinister Strike and the fast weapon in your off-hand for poison procs.

>I have heard that a dagger with poison in the main-hand and a slow sword in
>the off-hand is best for Rogue.

Personally I believe you have it backward. A nice slow heavy poisoned
weapon in the main hand, and a fast poisoned weapon in the off hand.
But to each his own.

>Which of the following swords would be best in the off-hand:
>A. Lvl 33 DPS 36-39 Delay 2.2 Str+3 Sta+8
>B. Lvl 29 DPS 43-81 Delay 2.8 Int+5 Spi+6
>C. Lvl 28 DPS 40-75 Delay 2.7 Str+7 Sta+3
>D. Lvl 28 DPS 40-75 Delay 2.7 Int+7 Sta+3
>
>I would guess C, but I don't know if 2.7 is too slow.
>Any help is appreciated.

Of these I agree on C, but I would put it in the main hand. The
reason is that you need a fast weapon in the off hand with poison to
proc. as often as possible. In the main hand speed doesn't really
matter because the real limitation is how fast you can hit the next
Sinister Strike. That doesn't change with the speed of the weapon.

Both my rogues have main hand weapons with speeds of 2.7 and off hand
weapons with speeds of 1.4 and 1.5.

I don't see any advantage to having a slow weapon in off hand, because
the more often it hits, the more damage you give from poison.

Actually, I would like to hear some arguments for having a dagger in
main hand - probably a big heavy slow dagger?

Bronzebeard PVE:
Lehi - 60 Human Paladin
Bathsheba - 60 Human Rogue

Frostmane PVP:
Laban - 60 Troll Rogue
Korohor - 24 Undead Warlock

None of these.

You want the slow heavy hitting weapon in the main hand to take
advantage of sinister strike's damage add.

To keep the poison flowing you want the fast weapon in the off hand.

Or you want two fast weapons so you can apply a lot of poison.

A slow sword in the offhand is the last thing you want to do.

And the stats here aren't the best. Int and Spi will do nothing for
you. Str and Sta are okay and a master Rogue I know swears by it. I'm
an all Agi Rogue and crit a lot. I keep a Phantom Blade in my main
hand and a Black Menace in another. I swap when I'm stealthed so I can
take advantage of an ambush, and will swap when I can to take advantage
of backstabbing. (However all this swapping might not work so well
with the new patch.)

In short, none of these should be in your offhand. (Unless I'm facing
you in PvP then I'd recommend simply disarming yourself so's my armor
won't get all scratched up. :)

With putting a sword in the main hand, I believe you lose the ability
to backstab / ambush.

Fobulous wrote:
> With putting a sword in the main hand, I believe you lose the ability
> to backstab / ambush.

I switch my offhand dagger to my mainhand for ambush/backstab. And
then switch to sword for Sinister Strike. Even with the new 1 second
cool-down, this gives the best of both worlds.

There is an add-on named QuickWeaponSwap. The only reason I need this
add-on is because my sword (The Butcher) is main-hand only. If I had a
sword I could switch between main-hand and off-hand then a simple macro
would do the trick:

something like:

/script PickupInventoryItem(17);PickupInventoryItem(16);end;

That's from memory so is likely wrong. But it was close to that.

>an all Agi Rogue and crit a lot. I keep a Phantom Blade in my main
>hand and a Black Menace in another. I swap when I'm stealthed so I can
>take advantage of an ambush, and will swap when I can to take advantage

Then you could probably improve the Ambush just a hair by having a
slow dagger available for it. My human rogue Ambushes with the Barman
Shanker, and as she unstealths she swaps back to the Thrash Blade (yes
I know it's time for a new sword...).

Bronzebeard PVE:
Lehi - 60 Human Paladin
Bathsheba - 60 Human Rogue

Frostmane PVP:
Laban - 60 Troll Rogue
Korohor - 24 Undead Warlock

>With putting a sword in the main hand, I believe you lose the ability
>to backstab / ambush.

Good point. I have an AddOn that automatically swaps weapons when I
am in stealth so I can Ambush. As for backstab, I haven't found much
use for it due to the energy cost. However, I would like some input
from those who believe in main hand daggers.

Bronzebeard PVE:
Lehi - 60 Human Paladin
Bathsheba - 60 Human Rogue

Frostmane PVP:
Laban - 60 Troll Rogue
Korohor - 24 Undead Warlock

In <N7FVe.4291$R9.4273@trnddc02> "joe" <josephwcox@verizon.net> writes:

> I have heard that a dagger with poison in the main-hand and a slow sword in
> the off-hand is best for Rogue.

You've got that backwards. Slow mainhand and fast offhand is best.

> Which of the following swords would be best in the off-hand:
> A. Lvl 33 DPS 36-39 Delay 2.2 Str+3 Sta+8
> B. Lvl 29 DPS 43-81 Delay 2.8 Int+5 Spi+6
> C. Lvl 28 DPS 40-75 Delay 2.7 Str+7 Sta+3
> D. Lvl 28 DPS 40-75 Delay 2.7 Int+7 Sta+3

> I would guess C, but I don't know if 2.7 is too slow.
> Any help is appreciated.

B has slightly better top-end damage and is a bit slower (which is *good*),
but C has much better stats. It's probably a toss-up, but I'd go with C.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

Joe

Thanks. Now I think I understand.

Being new to this stuff, I leveled up to level 33 with daggers only.
Needless to say it was all I could do to defeat Mobs +2 levels above me.
With a sword I hope to imporve this. Maybe slay Mobs +3 or +4 levels above
me. Is realistic?

"Lehi" <right@behin.edu> wrote in message
> >I have heard that a dagger with poison in the main-hand and a slow sword
> >in
>>the off-hand is best for Rogue.
>
> Personally I believe you have it backward. A nice slow heavy poisoned
> weapon in the main hand, and a fast poisoned weapon in the off hand.
> But to each his own.
>
>>Which of the following swords would be best in the off-hand:
>>A. Lvl 33 DPS 36-39 Delay 2.2 Str+3 Sta+8
>>B. Lvl 29 DPS 43-81 Delay 2.8 Int+5 Spi+6
>>C. Lvl 28 DPS 40-75 Delay 2.7 Str+7 Sta+3
>>D. Lvl 28 DPS 40-75 Delay 2.7 Int+7 Sta+3
>>
>>I would guess C, but I don't know if 2.7 is too slow.
>>Any help is appreciated.
>>
> Of these I agree on C, but I would put it in the main hand. The
> reason is that you need a fast weapon in the off hand with poison to
> proc. as often as possible. In the main hand speed doesn't really
> matter because the real limitation is how fast you can hit the next
> Sinister Strike. That doesn't change with the speed of the weapon.
>
> Both my rogues have main hand weapons with speeds of 2.7 and off hand
> weapons with speeds of 1.4 and 1.5.
>
> I don't see any advantage to having a slow weapon in off hand, because
> the more often it hits, the more damage you give from poison.
>
> Actually, I would like to hear some arguments for having a dagger in
> main hand - probably a big heavy slow dagger?
>

> Bronzebeard PVE:
> Lehi - 60 Human Paladin
> Bathsheba - 60 Human Rogue
>
> Frostmane PVP:
> Laban - 60 Troll Rogue
> Korohor - 24 Undead Warlock

>Being new to this stuff, I leveled up to level 33 with daggers only.
>Needless to say it was all I could do to defeat Mobs +2 levels above me.
>With a sword I hope to imporve this. Maybe slay Mobs +3 or +4 levels above
>me. Is realistic?

I think so. But remember that before you jump in the arena with a mob
3 levels above you, you better have that sword skill up. Skill up on
some lower or evenly matched levels.

Bronzebeard PVE:
Lehi - 60 Human Paladin
Bathsheba - 60 Human Rogue

Frostmane PVP:
Laban - 60 Troll Rogue
Korohor - 24 Undead Warlock

Joe

Thanks.

With daggers I have killed Mobs +3 levels above me. I use poisons. When I
start losing as I inevitably do, I gouge the Mob, drink some Healing potion,
and then continue to flail away. With a little bit of luck I can prevail.

I visited the Weapons Master and got trained. I look forward to trying out
swords after I get my skill up as you suggest!

> >Being new to this stuff, I leveled up to level 33 with daggers only.
>>Needless to say it was all I could do to defeat Mobs +2 levels above me.
>>With a sword I hope to imporve this. Maybe slay Mobs +3 or +4 levels
>>above
>>me. Is realistic?
>
> I think so. But remember that before you jump in the arena with a mob
> 3 levels above you, you better have that sword skill up. Skill up on
> some lower or evenly matched levels.
>

> Bronzebeard PVE:
> Lehi - 60 Human Paladin
> Bathsheba - 60 Human Rogue
>
> Frostmane PVP:
> Laban - 60 Troll Rogue
> Korohor - 24 Undead Warlock

Joe

Thanks. I looked in the AH for B (Zealot Blade). Asking 35G with a 50G
buyout.

I looked at C and D which are sold by vendors - price 3G.

Am I to expect this kind of rip-off in the AH?

"John Gordon" <gordon@panix.com> wrote in message
> In <N7FVe.4291$R9.4273@trnddc02> "joe" <josephwcox@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> I have heard that a dagger with poison in the main-hand and a slow sword
>> in
>> the off-hand is best for Rogue.
>
> You've got that backwards. Slow mainhand and fast offhand is best.
>
>> Which of the following swords would be best in the off-hand:
>> A. Lvl 33 DPS 36-39 Delay 2.2 Str+3 Sta+8
>> B. Lvl 29 DPS 43-81 Delay 2.8 Int+5 Spi+6
>> C. Lvl 28 DPS 40-75 Delay 2.7 Str+7 Sta+3
>> D. Lvl 28 DPS 40-75 Delay 2.7 Int+7 Sta+3
>
>> I would guess C, but I don't know if 2.7 is too slow.
>> Any help is appreciated.
>
> B has slightly better top-end damage and is a bit slower (which is
> *good*),
> but C has much better stats. It's probably a toss-up, but I'd go with C.
>
> --
> John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
> gordon@panix.com

I actually go duelies with daggers. I'm a 49 Rogue. Can't argue with
speed. I can't remember the daggers I have equipped, but I know they
are in the range of 29-30 DPS with peeds 1.4 -- I think that's the
stat. My agility is getting close to 300, and I think I deal a good
amount of damage quickly.

Fobulous wrote:
> With putting a sword in the main hand, I believe you lose the ability
> to backstab / ambush.

Seriously no great loss. Sadly i stubbornly set aside my daggers and now
do insane damage as a lazy SS spammer. :/

If you havn't already, learn first aid. Heavy runecloth bandages are
must for every 60 rogue.

Also don't skip being able to cook thistle tea, this is essencial for
PVP. It means any rogue can stunlock.

Robert S. wrote:

> None of these.
>
> You want the slow heavy hitting weapon in the main hand to take
> advantage of sinister strike's damage add.
>
> To keep the poison flowing you want the fast weapon in the off hand.
>
> Or you want two fast weapons so you can apply a lot of poison.

I've investigated the poison build, it's almost viable. It's heaps of
fun too. If only it did a little bit more damage to match closer to
swords/maces.

Melkuth wrote:

> Robert S. wrote:
>
>> None of these.
>>
>> You want the slow heavy hitting weapon in the main hand to take
>> advantage of sinister strike's damage add.
>>
>> To keep the poison flowing you want the fast weapon in the off hand.
>>
>> Or you want two fast weapons so you can apply a lot of poison.
>

> I've investigated the poison build, it's almost viable. It's heaps of
> fun too. If only it did a little bit more damage to match closer to
> swords/maces.

I might actually try it again when i get a distracting dagger and
finkle's skinner.

Melkuth wrote:

> Fobulous wrote:
>
>> With putting a sword in the main hand, I believe you lose the ability
>> to backstab / ambush.
>>

> Seriously no great loss. Sadly i stubbornly set aside my daggers and now
> do insane damage as a lazy SS spammer. :/

Oh, i should add that i'm talking about PVE here. Ambush is awesome for
PVP. Find an opposition faction with 1500hp left and they're yours :D

I've dropped targeted horde in amongst groups and vanished before their
buddies have had time to react. Element of surprise is great.

Lehi wrote:

>>With putting a sword in the main hand, I believe you lose the ability
>>to backstab / ambush.
>

> Good point. I have an AddOn that automatically swaps weapons when I
> am in stealth so I can Ambush. As for backstab, I haven't found much
> use for it due to the energy cost. However, I would like some input
> from those who believe in main hand daggers.

Those addon's going to work after the patch?

Make lethality effect ambush again i say!

danargyle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I would not recommend making a habit of fighting mobs 3 or 4 levels higher than you. I have found that i am most successful in levelling up when i fight mobs of the same or lower level than i am. Specifically caster mobs. Rogues are deadly against caster mobs, rubbish against warriors. It is a common misconception amongst rogue players that you should be able to take down any character because you are able to deal high damage. Not the case. Most rogues struggle against warriors in PVP (depending on your spec), but are cocky enough to try it anyway. It is sensible as a rogue to identify your role in WoW, and choose mobs to suit. I personally think that rogues are perfect for stuns/crowd control, and taking out casters. It's best not to jump straight in the middle of battle because you will draw way too much aggro and cause problems for other players.