Sign in with
Your question

First Build - Need PSU and MOBO suggestions!

Last response: in Systems
September 12, 2012 5:35:20 PM

My budget is anywhere from $1000 to $1300.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor

MOBO: ??? I want something reliable.

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO Sleeve CPU Cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] tuglgegexf

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 64GB

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Dual-Li [...] G4M5PB5FJE

Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: ??? Looking for Modular.

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Thanks!
September 12, 2012 6:02:27 PM

I would suggest changing CPU to i5-3570K , better performance, features, more up to date, and similar price. Match it with something like ASRock Z77 Extreme 4. You want low profile RAM, so as not to clash with cooler eg Crucial Ballistic Sport, or GSkill Ares. EVGA 670 is ok, but there are better ones. There's a good review, of the seven best, on Toms Hardware. For power supply, at least 500W, but suggest 550/600W. Seasonic, XFX, Corsair or Rosewill Capstone/Hive, are the best options, for cecent quality, which you need,
m
l
September 12, 2012 6:06:19 PM

There are no good 600W PSUs by those companies.
m
l
Related resources
September 12, 2012 7:19:11 PM

Okay, what exactly do you mean by low profile RAM? isn't the RAM i chose low profile?
Also, i was looking at the Corsair 650hx psu. Would that be a good match for my setup?

Still open to any other psu or mobo suggestions people want to make.
m
l
September 12, 2012 8:28:38 PM

You didn't specify the exact RAM. Many of the Vengeance's have high "sawtooth" heatsinks, that can clash with CPU air coolers. There are numerous options, for RAM, which are much lower, and avoid the risk of a "clash" issue.
In terms of PSU, you need, at least, 550W. Anything slightly above that is fine, in a decent make/model. The HX650 is fine, there's nothing wrong with going slightly over, to give a bit of spare, with an efficient PSU. Corsair use slightly different model numbers in the States, to Europe. If there are with/without options, with that model, modular is preferable.
I do think the i5-3570K is best for you. Almost any Z77 board is suitable, it's a question of what features/expandability you need. The Asrock board I suggested has a good mix of features, and value for money.
m
l
September 12, 2012 8:32:09 PM

i suggest gigabyte ga-z77x-d3h with Corsair TX650M

edit : if u want cheaper mobo that will do the work for ya, go with gigabyte ga-z77-d3h, and if you want to spend more, asus sabertooth.

regards
mladjo
m
l
September 12, 2012 8:50:26 PM

mladen88bl said:
i suggest gigabyte ga-z77x-d3h with Corsair TX650M

edit : if u want cheaper mobo that will do the work for ya, go with gigabyte ga-z77-d3h, and if you want to spend more, asus sabertooth.

regards
mladjo

Just had heated "discussion" on another thread re Sabretooth. Personally, I like them, cos they're a great board, but had to agree they are stupidly overpriced.
m
l
September 12, 2012 9:17:03 PM

@ malbluff i agree, they are overpriced, thats why i got myself gigabyte z77 instead. ;) 

but if he wants to spend more money (has money for fancy stuff), i would go for sabertooth.
m
l
September 12, 2012 10:59:23 PM

mladen88bl said:
@ malbluff i agree, they are overpriced, thats why i got myself gigabyte z77 instead. ;) 

but if he wants to spend more money (has money for fancy stuff), i would go for sabertooth.

That was my arguement on the other thread, but gave up trying push that line. Anyway, off thread. lol.
m
l
!