Sign in with
Your question

Unresponsive Computer

January 26, 2013 10:18:34 PM

Not as bad as my Thread Title sounds, but still scary. I have been asking around, but I wanted to make sure if my PSU, GPU, or CPU is the reason why my one month old dream computer is causing my computer to become unresponsive after I have an initial Shogun 2 crash that results in a black screen with only the Shogun 2 cursor visible.

Okay, so I love Shogun 2 and about a month ago I finally had the resources to build my dream computer with no budget, which I gladly did and took much into consideration. Now, it's been about a month and I am trying to play Shogun 2 but I get these crashes anywhere from 1 to 2 hours into playing that happen abruptly with just a black screen. I ctrl alt del to get back to my desktop, but when I go to click on the application to play again my game starts with a black screen and my computer becomes unresponsive. I have to manually hit the reset button on the case to restore order.

Ever since these crashes have occurred I have uninstalled Chrome, ran a memtest for a whole day, updated my nvidia drivers with a clean installation, verified my game cache, updated my bios, and disabled my Anti-Virus while the game was running. Today I will start disabling background applications just to make sure that that isn't the source of the problem either.

Now the puzzling part of this mystery is that when I play other games like Far Cry 3, and The Witcher 2 w/ Ubersampling that are also very stressful, my computer seems to handle it fine. I also believed that my problem was fixed after I installed my new graphics drivers because I played for almost five hours without any crashes, but the next day as soon as I get into my first campaign land battle approx. 30 minutes into my session my game crashed. Then I clicked on the application and my computer became unresponsive just like before.

I reset my computer, and then I played for many hours after that without a crash as well as getting through a massive land battle with almost 7 thousand units in it. If somebody out there could just please help me figure out why my computer is becoming unresponsive I would be so grateful. Here is a list of my computer specs:

Windows 7 64bit
GTX 690
i7 3770k (sometimes i will use turbo evo to turn the multiplier up to 4.2-4.3, but i ran prime95 for 6hrs on each and no crash)
16gb Corsair Vengeance 1866(2x8gb) (i run at 1600)
Asus Maximus V Formula
CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W 80 plus gold certified
Samsung 840 pro ssd 256gb

Please help me figure this out you would have my undying gratitude.

More about : unresponsive computer

!