Need a new computer that officially or unoffically supports XP

morrows

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Long time lurker first time poster...
Odd question I know, but i'd like a new desktop computer that supports XP officially or unofficially. I've been browsing through desktops and going to the manufacturer's website to see if that model # supports XP with drivers, and it's been a long process. No luck. I need this computer in a couple weeks for someone that uses several pieces of software that only work on XP. No, VirtualPC will not work.

I am willing to go refurbished if need be, but i'd like a good computer. A video card with DVI would be great. Nothing ancient (single core, etc).

I know about 2 years ago I worked on a laptop that only had Vista drivers and I was able to find an unofficial thread in the HP forums for drivers for that model number. I'm hoping someone know the same.

Again, this is a desktop. Form factor (tower or smaller) isn't a big deal to me. I appreciate the help for this odd question.

Solution

You do know that you are spec'ing a SATA disk drive, and XP doesn't support that until service pack 2 ? An old XP OS disk would not load on that system without slipstreamed drivers.

The problem of the OP is not an easy one. He needs to find drivers for every part on his MB and every part he/she attaches. Things like sound will be a problem. He has to decide 32 or 64 bit for XP ... 64 bit will be a big problem.

Best approach would be a long life corporate config that still...

chugot9218

Honorable
I guess I was not aware that there was hardware (that is not pre-windows XP) that would restrict the operating system you place on it, XP should load onto pretty much anything unless it is a CPU that does not support 64-bit OS's and it is a 64-bit version.

morrows

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I guess i'm not really sure what you mean. I just want a store bought computer (DELL, Acer, HP, etc) that will officially or unofficially support XP. I don't want one that I have to spend days testing drivers and what not with for XP downgrade.

You do know that you are spec'ing a SATA disk drive, and XP doesn't support that until service pack 2 ? An old XP OS disk would not load on that system without slipstreamed drivers.

The problem of the OP is not an easy one. He needs to find drivers for every part on his MB and every part he/she attaches. Things like sound will be a problem. He has to decide 32 or 64 bit for XP ... 64 bit will be a big problem.

Best approach would be a long life corporate config that still has XP support. Those are drying up with lack of basic service for XP. Here is one $200 used unit that originally came with a supported downgrade to XP pro from vista so you should have all drivers available. Do read about slipstreaming drivers... you will need to slipstream the sata and chipset drivers. http://www.ubid.com/Dell_360_Desktop_Computer_C2D_2.5GHz_2GB_RAM_Windows_7_Pro/a805112638.html

Solution

chugot9218

Honorable
Slipstreaming is incredibly easy, and also more recent disks already come with SP3. I find it hard to believe there is no driver support for XP machines in anything that isn't considered top of the line or brand new in the last year or two. Backwards compatibility is much more likely then forward. I feel pretty confident I could put XP on my 3 month old build without much difficulty.

dingo07

Distinguished

that's bull...

exactly what Chugot9218 said - XP has been running for so long, I'd be surprised if someone still has an original pre SP1

morrows

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

Thanks! Exact info I was looking for. I ended up getting this:
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Dell-Optiplex-745-Core-2-Duo-2.4Ghz-2GB-Desktop-Computer-Refurbished/5080682/product.html