Help with partitions needed....

shaolin

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
I finally have all my gear and need to know if there is any "best" way to create my partitions, ie how many partitions, what size for the swap file, etc..
I am using W98se and the HD is ATA100 40GB. I was thinking along the lines of 20GB for games and music (mp3,midi), what ever is needed for the swapfile, drivers and OS (if that is the right way to do it) and the rest will be for my "work" files and others. I want the best performance for games so please keep that in mind when recommending. BTW I aint doing Raid.

Here is the stuff I'll be installing tomorrow:
Tbird 1.4GHZ with Global Win CAK38
Gigabyte 7DXR
256MB DDR PC2100 Corsair
Samsung sv4084h 40GB ATA 100
BTC DVD Rom 12x
Radeon 64 VIVO SE
MX300 (or maybe I'll use the built in SB 128 just for the digital output).
I have a smaller and older 6.4GB hardisk which I don't know if I should install or not...

Since I a moving up from my old PII350 you know that I CAN'T WAIT to get this thing running!
Regards

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
I personally like to use the Ranish Partition Manager <A HREF="http://www.ranish.com" target="_new">http://www.ranish.com</A> to split my 45 gig into 3 partitions. All primary partitions just because they are easier to resize later and I could install OS's on any one of them.

3 gig for the OS.
21 gig for Games, a "Program Files" folder on D:, drivers, a non-resizing swap, setup files for programs.
21 for Data (ie. Movies, MP3's, misc documents.

Then when I have my computer setup the way I want it I can make a ghost image of the C drive. If I ever get too much crap or a virus I just restore the image and everything is back to good working condition. If I had upgraded any programs that were installed to "d:\program files" or chaged settings, they are still perfect.

I hope I described this right. Looking back over it, it seems a little complicated, but it really isn't too bad. I don't know if this is the best place for the swap file, but it takes it out of the image.