How Do I Use Modem & Wireless together

xilver

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Hello,

I currently have a cable modem and it has only one ethernet port and I currently have 3 systems I need to connect. In addition, I would like to also be able to have a wireless router linked to the modem as well.

Currently, I have a TP-Link 5 port Unmanaged Mini Desktop Switch with the ethernet cable going from my cable modem into it and from there, I have the other port slots feeding into my desktop pc, laptop, xbox and another then going back into my wireless router.

My problem is that to use the wireless router on any of the 3 systems I am using (PC, Laptop, Xbox) when I choose to go unwired, I have to restart the wireless router every time.

Is there a way to just have them all connected and working without having to always having to restart the wireless router when I want to go wireless and having to restart the modem itself when I want to go wired?

Would a port spitter be more effective coming out of the modem so I could send one cable to the TP Link for the wired connection and the other cable to the wireless router for wireless connection?

Any insight and help would be tremendous. Thank you!

G

Why isn't the WAN port of the wireless router connected to the ethernet port of the cable modem?

xilver

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
The WAN port is running directly into the TP Link and is set up this way as I prefer having the cable modem static IP vs. the generated IP from the wireless router.

If there isn't an alternative, I can run it from the cable modem into the wan port, but my preference is not to if I don't have to.

xilver

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
It seems like about two. Usually a static one straight out of the modem and then a fixed routed one when coming out of the Wireless. The WAN IP seems to never change, whereas if I have the cable modem off long enough (15-30minutes) it will change to another static IP address often times when rebooted.

G

I doubt you have a static IP address. When the MAC address of the device connected to the cable modem changes, you get a different IP address. You need to connect the wireless router to the cable modem which gets your public IP address and assigns private IP addresses to all your computers.

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I would agree with above. If you have 3 systems and most routers have 4 ports. Then just take the ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port of the router, then all of your other devices plug ethernet cords into the "out" ports of the router and your done.

xilver

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Thanks for the responses - My main issue is now when sending the cables from the ports on the back of the wireless router, I do not know how to set up the IP's as it is telling me my IP's are self assigned and I am unable to connect to the internet. Any idea on what I might need to do? Bit of a novice with all this really, so appreciate the assistance. For what it's worth, the wiress router is an apple airport extreme.

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
could be a few steps you have to take, first would be make sure you are using crossover cables and not patch cables (i assume you are). Difference is patch cables you will see the same color wires in the same order on both sides of the cable, with a crossover they are in a different order on each side.

1. make sure all the computers have DHCP turned on
http://www.ehow.com/how_5072525_enable-dhcp-windows-xp.html

If they had a static IP before (DHCP not enabled) then the router cannot assign them the IP address like it should.

Try that and then unplug the modem and router.
Plug the modem back in and wait for all of the lights that are normally lit up (other than one which would be the WAN or Internet light) to fully come on. Once they do plug in the router and the computers should have a symbol in the task bar (if it worked) like this
Acquiring+Network+Address.bmp

which says acquiring network address

this means it is getting the IP from the router so you can connect to the internet.

If it isn't the cables, or DHCP being disabled then we can go from there.