Multi-Monitor Desktop Resolution: 3600x1080
Microphone: True
Language: English (United States)
Free Hard Drive Space: 11018 MB
Total Hard Drive Space: 953866 MB
Windows Experience Index Rating: 5.9

-----------------------------------------------

I have a Corsair Enthusiast 750 PSU.

My computer freezes repeatedly when I attempt to play certain games. Not all of them. Some games work just fine, others don't, and I can't seem to detect any rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes games with absurd system requirements will run perfectly while another game with lesser requirements might freeze over and over again.

I ran stress and memory tests on my video cards and everything turned up fine.

Here's the kicker: those games that don't work? If I load them as soon as my computer starts up they will play perfectly. Let's use Guild Wars 2 as an example. If I start my computer and then immediately start the game I can play for hours on end without a single hiccup. If I spend 15 minutes or so checking my email, then load the game, every few minutes it will freeze for a few seconds and there will be a slew of graphical distortions.

Or if I start the game right away and then alt-tab out of it for a moment it will start freezing when I return to it.

I'm absolutely baffled. I've heard it might be that my PSU doesn't have enough power. According to my calculations I should have enough juice for everything. I haven't done any overclocking yet. I've repeatedly updated my video card drivers. I'm at a total loss. I'm thinking about testing my video cards individually to see if maybe one of them is faulty. I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions?

jtgribs

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I connected the monitor to the second graphics card and everything seems to be working fine. Both cards are running.

I'm a little confused. I wonder if I should be worried about that first graphics card that was giving me problems.