Sign in with
Your question

Potential CF or SLI Cards? (max $200 for 1)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 25, 2012 6:25:38 AM

FINAL BUILD Price

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core...

Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155...

Video Card ?Suggestions so far

EVGA 015-P3-1480-KR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5

SAPPHIRE 11188-22-20G Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

PSU Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750 750W...

CASE LOGISYS Transparent Computer Case mid tower...

What GFX card should I buy?

Crossfire or SLI: Will definitely in the future

Max budget: $200 for 1 card

Games: SKYRIM!!!!, Bf3, batman: AC, etc

I want as good of quality as I can get for the money(Ultra,Medium)30+

I'm going run off of Intel hd 4000 until i have enough to buy the first card.

Don't know the resolution of my monitor and i'm not at my house to check.

MIGHT WAIT TILL BLACK FRIDAY IF ITS NECESSARY

a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 6:36:07 AM

If you can stretch your budget to $220, this card is really worth it an it's the best in this price range. Since it will be the only card for now, it won't be much of an issue with heat (Please folks, stop making it sound like this card runs at nuclear meltdown temperatures.)

It would be able to play BF3, Skyrim and any other games you want on high to Ultra with no problem. The 1.5GB of VRAM will help a lot over the 1GB cards in BF3 and Skyrim at 1080p.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 6:42:37 AM

As long as the case has good airflow, he will be fine with this single card. The 1.5GB of VRAM will help a lot in BF3 and Skyrim on ultra settings.
July 25, 2012 6:46:14 AM

do sales on gfx cards go down by alot on black friday? should i wat to buy that card or is the price low now?

Also my case is acrylic...=/ with 3 80mm led fans is that good enough or should i just take off the side panel and throw it next to and A/C fan
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 6:48:48 AM

dudewitbow said:
as of right now, the sapphire 6950 pops back a the 200$ mark occasionally

@above's suggestion is the strongest card you can get for 220 albeit it can get pretty hot due to reference design.

If he buys last gen hardware he's going to have a hard time upgrading to CF/SLI for cheap as retail availibility of older cards decreases and the market saturates with more 7xxx and 6xx series cards. This is, however, assuming he buys another card several months from now. If he buys another card in a month it might not matter.

Regardless, I'd suggest a Radeon HD7850.

XFX Radeon 7850 Core Edition - $210 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Unfortunately, most all of the 7850s with excellent coolers and/or factory overclocks are still around $260.
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 6:51:15 AM

axsmith234 said:
do sales on gfx cards go down by alot on black friday? should i wat to buy that card or is the price low now?

The price on graphics cards do go down a lot. The problem lies in the fact that you don't get to choose which card goes on sale and it's entirely possible that none of the cards you would be interested in buying are discounted.

For me, the problem with black friday is that a lot of the vanilla hardware or lesser quality brand hardware seem to be the ones that go on sale. Every once in a while I will be able to snag something great, though.
a c 107 U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 6:53:57 AM

black friday will probably push out items that are on overstock(items almost no one wants) gpus arent usually included much.

Quote:
If he buys last gen hardware he's going to have a hard time upgrading to CF/SLI for cheap as retail availibility of older cards decreases and the market saturates with more 7xxx and 6xx series cards. This is, however, assuming he buys another card several months from now. If he buys another card in a month it might not matter.

of couse, im just stating whats there now, these cards have a chance of being phased out of the brand new market and would force to buy one on the second hand market(finding a 6950 in the second hand market isnt terribly hard though as there is a decent amount of them that people have) Like you said i myself would suggest the push for the 7850 as its easy to crossfire(requires 1 6 pin for most models, strongest 1 pin card), abundant and pretty easy to get another if you ever wanted one because tons of people have it(me included)
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 9:04:23 AM

dudewitbow said:
black friday will probably push out items that are on overstock(items almost no one wants) gpus arent usually included much.

Quote:

of couse, im just stating whats there now, these cards have a chance of being phased out of the brand new market and would force to buy one on the second hand market(finding a 6950 in the second hand market isnt terribly hard though as there is a decent amount of them that people have) Like you said i myself would suggest the push for the 7850 as its easy to crossfire(requires 1 6 pin for most models, strongest 1 pin card), abundant and pretty easy to get another if you ever wanted one because tons of people have it(me included)

True words. I myself own a 6950 that unlocked to 6970 shaders and to be honest I'd probably buy another one or two of these in the future anyway if it makes sense; these cards are excellent, IMO.
!