Insane late change of mind on CPU and MB - switched to Intel!

carled

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I can't believe I just did that... have had a whole load of components in the shopping basket for several days and then as I got time tomorrow at short notice to build the system, I took advantage of eBuyer's 11pm cutoff for next day delivery and took the plunge.

However... I've been an AMD man all my computing life and had a Phenom II 965 with Gigabyte MB in the basket all set to go and at the very last minute I changed my mind and switched to Intel. What have I done? :eek:

I grabbed the Intel Gamer Bundle with Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard & Intel I5 3570K Processor and 8GB DDR3 (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP Blue Memory for £300.

I don't play games at all, just work (web developer), a bit of audio and video editing and a bit of photoshop here & there. I'm not getting a separate GPU to start with, just using onboard graphics. If it becomes draining on the system then I'll put a GPU in there in due course.

I've grabbed a Samsung 830 256GB SSD to speed things up and a 1TB Seagate 7200 drive for data (I already have a microserver NAS setup on the home network for extra storage).

I'm coming from an Athlon II X2 250 processor... I am going to notice a difference with this new system aren't I?

I think what may have influenced me is power usage. I'm on my PC from 7:30am to midnight almost 7 days a week and that will add up power wise I think. Please reassure me I've done the right thing here... I can still hardly believe my late change of mind!