Sign in with
Your question

Help Me Choose a Graphics Card!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 25, 2012 9:14:04 AM

Can't decide if i should go with gtx 670 or Amd 7970
and wich manufacture should i go with.
+ i heard that the gtx 670 has some problems (BSOD... artifacts)
System:
PSU: Corsair TX 750
Memory : G.Skill 8gb ddr3 1600
Cpu : Intel Core i5-3570k
MOBO : Asus Sabertooth z77

More about : choose graphics card

a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 9:22:59 AM

I have an aging X58/i7 920 setup and my EVGA GTX 670 FTW has been flawless ever since day 1. The EVGA FTW card is even a bit faster than the reference GTX 680 in most games and only cost $410 (was $400 yesterday, price went up today). If you are gaming on a 1920x1080 monitor, then the GTX 670 FTW 2GB will be more than enough. I can max out BF3 on ultra with constant 60+ FPS with VSYNC on and that includes intense firefights on 64 player servers.

The issues with the first batch of the EVGA Superclocked cards were the ones giving those issues. The FTW is cheaper and faster than the Superclocked card too out the box. You also have PhysX that AMD GPU's do not have and would make a difference in games that utilize PhysX along with adaptive VSYNC that the AMD GPUs don't have either.

What are your computer specs? The GTX 670 uses less energy than the HD 7970 so it will be lighter on your PSU. EVGA has hands down the best customer service too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/40613-evga-gefor...
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 9:47:09 AM

I would still recommend the EVGA GTX 670 FTW as it has 8 phase VRM vs 4 Phase VRM the Gigabyte card has as it uses the reference voltage controller. The EVGA card is already OC'ed and it's faster than the Gigabye if he does not want to OC. Also the EVGA card uses the GTX 680 PCB and cooler, it's already cooler than reference GTX 670's. It's only about 7 degrees warmer than the ASUS GTX 670 TOP at full load, so it's not that much warmer. If he ever wanted to watercool the EVGA FTW card, the GTX 680 waterblocks would fit it too and since it has 8 phase VRM, it would OC well beyond the Gigabyte card. The FTW and ASUS TOP GTX 670's are the current fastest GTX 670's out now. It's also binned, hence the FTW standard.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX...

EVGA has much better customer service over Gigabyte too. He can swap out the cooler with an aftermarket one or even water blocks and if the card were ever to take a dump, EVGA would still honor the warranty, they would only tell you to put the factory cooler back on and such.

Another advantage of the EVGA card is that all the hot air is shot out the rear vs the Gigabyte card shooting it back into the case meaning that over a long gaming session, the Gigabyte would add more heat into the case while the EVGA would remain the same the entire time because of all the air shooting out of the case.

I have this card so I talk from experience and my card does not go over 70C during long gaming sessions in BF3 (many hrs at a time).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 9:49:41 AM

El Tigre said:
I would still recommend the EVGA GTX 670 FTW as it has 8 phase VRM vs 4 Phase VRM the Gigabyte card has as it uses the reference voltage controller. The EVGA card is already OC'ed and it's faster than the Gigabye if he does not want to OC. Also the EVGA card uses the GTX 680 PCB and cooler, it's already cooler than reference GTX 670's. It's only about 7 degrees warmer than the ASUS GTX 670 TOP at full load, so it's not that much warmer. If he ever wanted to watercool the EVGA FTW card, the GTX 680 waterblocks would fit it too and since it has 8 phase VRM, it would OC well beyond the Gigabyte card. The FTW and ASUS TOP GTX 670's are the current fastest GTX 670's out now.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX...

EVGA has much better customer service over Gigabyte too. He can swap out the cooler with an aftermarket one or even water blocks and if the card were ever to take a dump, EVGA would still honor the warranty, they would only tell you to put the factory cooler back on and such.

Another advantage of the EVGA card is that all the hot air is shot out the rear vs the Gigabyte card shooting it back into the case meaning that over a long gaming session, the Gigabyte would add more heat into the case while the EVGA would remain the same the entire time because of all the air shooting out of the case.

I have this card so I talk from experience and my card does not go over 70C during long gaming session on BF3 (many hrs at a time)

you know better ! :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 10:13:21 AM

I have an EVGA GTX 670 FTW and it is a monster of a card. Not only is it cool but it overclocks like a champ and shells out 60+ fps on everything i throw at it. I highly recommend it.
m
l
!