Troubleshoot Asus P8Z77-V LGA won't boot.

jjacobus

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
Building new system: (1) ASUS 8z77-V-LGA 1155 (2) Intel i5-3570K LGA 1155 3.4 GHz (3) Patriot DDR3 8gb PC2-12800 1600 MHZ. Double checked compatibility and wiring.

On Power on the green standby power light comes on ok. When I try to boot; chassis fan comes on, CPU fan starts to spin. Then the CPU_LED comes on RED. System then appears to reboot. No beeps.

Red light is bad, but how do I find out what the problem is from here? Bad board? Bad CPU? How do I troubleshoot?

grapes911

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
I'm having the exact same problem with the exact same MB and CPU. Someone told me to flash the bios, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that with being able to boot.

jjacobus

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

You can't get to the bios until you can boot.
I got a replacement CPU from Amazon today. Installed it and the CPU_LED light is still RED. So that eliminates CPU. I'm sending MB back to Newegg.

By the way, I doing a return to NewEgg and not a replacement. Their RMA process works by my sending the board back (5-7 days), then they will ship a new one the next business day. I then wait for UPS to delivery (5-7 days). Cost to ship back the board is $13.75.
I decided to order a new board from Amazon because of my experience with the replacement CPU. Amazon shipped a replacement CPU as soon as I requested a replacement, so I got the replacement within 2 days and I can use the package to ship back the old CPU. Much faster and efficient. Plus since I'm an Amazon Prime customer, no shipping charges either way. Everyone should check into Amazon Prime.

jjacobus

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
My problem has been resolved. The lead from the power supply to the 8-pin CPU power socket on the motherboard was bad. Replaced the power supply and all is well.