Sign in with
Your question

NVIDIA 670 multi-res surround

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 25, 2012 10:14:52 AM

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a 670 for CUDA purposes but also do a bit of gaming on my three screens. I have 3 monitors of different resolutions. I know that the official documentation says that I need to have identical resolutions.

Currently my 6870 will reduce the resolutions of the bigger monitors when I enable Eyefinity; will surround do the same thing?

Thanks!
a b Î Nvidia
July 25, 2012 10:20:22 AM

Yes it will, I would recommend getting the EVGA 4GB Superclocked card as you will need the 4GB VRAM for Surround View. I would also sell your monitors and get the same model for all 3 for less headaches.
July 25, 2012 10:26:18 AM

Haha, if I had the cash to purchase 2 more monitors to match my 24", I would! Unfortunately, having just bought a new car and being student, cash is tight...

I'm thinking of getting a Gigabyte 3X Windforce, thoughts?
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
July 25, 2012 10:28:00 AM

Does it have 4GB of VRAM? If it does not, I would not recommend any card below 4GB as Surround View resolution will quickly eat up the 2GB VRAM that most of the GTX 670's have.
a b Î Nvidia
July 25, 2012 10:37:32 AM

Yes, that card is 2GB, I would highly recommend getting the 4GB card for your needs since you want to run Surround View.
July 25, 2012 11:53:21 AM

Unfortunately most of the 4GB cards are out of my price range at the moment.

Is it possible to run multiple monitors across an SLI set up? While funds are tight at the moment, in the future I will be able to afford another card.
a b Î Nvidia
July 25, 2012 12:03:11 PM

I would suggest you save up for the 4GB card because even in SLI, the 2GB cards will still be limited by their VRAM at Surround View resolution.
July 25, 2012 1:41:43 PM

How bad are we talking in terms of limitation? The only real games I play across the 3 screens are racing games like rFactor 2 / Project C.A.R.S that aren't so graphically intensive.
July 25, 2012 4:32:01 PM

Atm the gains are minimal I remember seeing a chart comparing the 4GB and 2GB 670's in a 3 screen setup and was suprised about the difference being so small.

The 7970 with it's 3GB ram would be ideal, however there is no CUDA.

I run 3 screens in eyefinity fine on a single 6950 2GB and i'm going to add a second soon. Pcars is fine with it same with most games, It will only eat the ram once you start jacking up the AA.
July 25, 2012 6:01:59 PM

DemonDriverDan said:
How bad are we talking in terms of limitation? The only real games I play across the 3 screens are racing games like rFactor 2 / Project C.A.R.S that aren't so graphically intensive.

There will be very little limitation. The only reason to ever get a 4GB 670 is if you have them in sli. If you are running off of a single card, you will see very little difference in terms of performance. Even if you sli, the cards will still run great, but with a minor bottleneck.
!