Sign in with
Your question

Can i use two cards of one brand in sli and a card of another brand as dedicated

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 25, 2012 10:53:25 AM

Hey y'all.

I finally got the money together to buy a couple of new cards (two GTX 680 Superclocked). I already have an EVGA X58 motherboard and an EVGA 580 SC. I ordered two EVGA 680 SC's but the company sent me two Inno3D SC's instead as they haven't got any EVGA ones yet... So, instead of just sending the Inno3Ds back, can I set them up in SLI and use the EVGA 580 as a dedicated PhysX card? Or is it just a case of having to have all the hardware as the same brand?

Appreciate any help you can give me.
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 10:56:01 AM

Yes, it will work fine, just make sure your PSU can handle all the cards and you will have an awesome setup. Also make sure your case has good airflow because if you have poor airflow, you will have a Steel Forge of a furnace inside your case with all of those cards.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 10:57:15 AM

vindaloobeast said:
Hey y'all.

I finally got the money together to buy a couple of new cards (two GTX 680 Superclocked). I already have an EVGA X58 motherboard and an EVGA 580 SC. I ordered two EVGA 680 SC's but the company sent me two Inno3D SC's instead as they haven't got any EVGA ones yet... So, instead of just sending the Inno3Ds back, can I set them up in SLI and use the EVGA 580 as a dedicated PhysX card? Or is it just a case of having to have all the hardware as the same brand?

Appreciate any help you can give me.

That should work just fine but I would be cheesed off with the substitution they made, did they ask you first? Or did they just send them through?
m
l
Related resources
July 25, 2012 11:00:28 AM

Hey dude, thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, they just sent the different brand without asking instead of the one I ordered because there's a four week lead time on new EVGA models arriving from the US to Australia. Apparently the cards they sent me are spec for spec identical to each other apart from the box they come in and obviously the third party software. I'm prepared to send them back if I have to, but if I can successfully use the two cards they sent me with the one I already have then I'll just keep the ones I've got.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 11:05:45 AM

They should work fine as I stated above, make sure your case has good airflow and your PSU can handle all of those cards at once. Enjoy your awesome rig!
m
l
July 25, 2012 11:07:28 AM

Thanks dude! Time for me to start major surgery on my PC then! Also gots me a new i7 Extreme and 24 GB of RAM to whack in there too!

Happy trails, y'all!
m
l
!