CANON 5D....

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 23, 2005 4:49:30 AM

bigger sensor "more dust" rgds to all from TBM...

More about : canon

Anonymous
September 23, 2005 4:49:31 AM

"tbm" <ialwaysgetresults@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> bigger sensor "more dust" rgds to all from TBM...

More trolling from tbm...
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 4:49:31 AM

tbm wrote:
> bigger sensor "more dust" rgds to all from TBM...

I believe you meant to say...
"Bigger mouth, more trolling."
Yep...
....That's TBM.
September 23, 2005 9:43:56 AM

"MarkĀ²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
> tbm wrote:
>> bigger sensor "more dust" rgds to all from TBM...
>
> I believe you meant to say...
> "Bigger mouth, more trolling."
> Yep...
> ...That's TBM.

Maybe that's what "TBM" stands for, "The Big Mouth."

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

"tbm" <ialwaysgetresults@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> bigger sensor "more dust" rgds to all from TBM...

And seeing as how this is the first full-frame sensor camer every, we
obviously have no basis for comparison, do we?

Bonehead.
Anonymous
September 23, 2005 10:26:16 AM

"Kinon O'cann" <Yes.it's.me.Bowser> wrote in message

> "tbm" <ialwaysgetresults@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> bigger sensor "more dust" rgds to all from TBM...
>
> And seeing as how this is the first full-frame sensor camer every, we
> obviously have no basis for comparison, do we?
>
> Bonehead.

You mean besides the 1Ds/1DsmII? Which to my knowledge has no more problems
with dust than any other DSLR...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 12:57:59 PM

> "Kinon O'cann" <Yes.it's.me.Bowser> wrote in message
>>
>> "tbm" <ialwaysgetresults@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> bigger sensor "more dust" rgds to all from TBM...
>>
>> And seeing as how this is the first full-frame sensor camer every, we
>> obviously have no basis for comparison, do we?
>>
>> Bonehead.
>>
> You mean besides the 1Ds/1DsmII? Which to my knowledge has no more
> problems with dust than any other DSLR...

Not to mention the Kodak FF twins. FF has no more of a dust problem than any
other DSLR. It was sarcasm...

> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Anonymous
September 24, 2005 12:58:00 PM

> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Kinon O'cann" <Yes.it's.me.Bowser> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "tbm" <ialwaysgetresults@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> And seeing as how this is the first full-frame sensor camer every, we
>>> obviously have no basis for comparison, do we?
>>>
>>> Bonehead.
>>>
>> You mean besides the 1Ds/1DsmII? Which to my knowledge has no more
>> problems with dust than any other DSLR...
>
> Not to mention the Kodak FF twins. FF has no more of a dust problem than
> any other DSLR. It was sarcasm...

oh.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 3:10:11 PM

>> And seeing as how this is the first full-frame sensor camer every,
>> we obviously have no basis for comparison, do we?

> Skip Middleton writes ...
>
>You mean besides the 1Ds/1DsmII? Which to my knowledge has no more
>problems with dust than any other DSLR...

You're wrong about that Skip, unfortunately. I have a 1Ds and it is
much more susceptible to dust bunnies than our two 1D Mark II's (1.3x
sensor), I would say it has to be cleaned about 4x as often. Used to
use a Canon 10D (1.6x sensor) and that one rarely showed dust motes
(had to clean it every few months), the 1D M II is noticeably worse
(every couple of weeks) and the 1Ds worse still (every couple of
days?), well out of proportion to the extra sensor size. Interesting
to read Michael Reichmann's review of the 5D on his trip to Greece,
where he comments that despite using mostly a single lens that rarely
came off he still had to clean the sensor almost daily.

Part of the price you pay for the higher image quality though :)

Bill
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 3:29:22 PM

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> And seeing as how this is the first full-frame sensor camer every,
>>> we obviously have no basis for comparison, do we?
>
>> Skip Middleton writes ...
>>
>>You mean besides the 1Ds/1DsmII? Which to my knowledge has no more
>>problems with dust than any other DSLR...
>
> You're wrong about that Skip, unfortunately. I have a 1Ds and it is
> much more susceptible to dust bunnies than our two 1D Mark II's (1.3x
> sensor), I would say it has to be cleaned about 4x as often. Used to
> use a Canon 10D (1.6x sensor) and that one rarely showed dust motes
> (had to clean it every few months), the 1D M II is noticeably worse
> (every couple of weeks) and the 1Ds worse still (every couple of
> days?), well out of proportion to the extra sensor size. Interesting
> to read Michael Reichmann's review of the 5D on his trip to Greece,
> where he comments that despite using mostly a single lens that rarely
> came off he still had to clean the sensor almost daily.
>
> Part of the price you pay for the higher image quality though :)
>
> Bill

Well, I got most of my info in an anecdotal form, from the 1D/1Ds/5D forum
on DPReview, where it didn't seem to be much more of a problem than on the
D30/D60/10D/20D forum. And my wife's cousin doesn't seem to have anymore of
a problem with his 1Ds (mkI) than his, or our, 20Ds.
I wonder why the larger sensor would have more of a problem. More charged
surface, perchance?

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 3:35:34 PM

Skip M wrote:
> "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Skip Middleton writes ...
>>>
>>> You mean besides the 1Ds/1DsmII? Which to my knowledge has no more
>>> problems with dust than any other DSLR...
>>
>> You're wrong about that Skip, unfortunately. I have a 1Ds and it is
>> much more susceptible to dust bunnies than our two 1D Mark II's (1.3x
>> sensor), I would say it has to be cleaned about 4x as often. Used to
>> use a Canon 10D (1.6x sensor) and that one rarely showed dust motes
>> (had to clean it every few months), the 1D M II is noticeably worse
>> (every couple of weeks) and the 1Ds worse still (every couple of
>> days?), well out of proportion to the extra sensor size. Interesting
>> to read Michael Reichmann's review of the 5D on his trip to Greece,
>> where he comments that despite using mostly a single lens that rarely
>> came off he still had to clean the sensor almost daily.
>>
>> Part of the price you pay for the higher image quality though :)
>>
>> Bill
>>
> Well, I got most of my info in an anecdotal form, from the 1D/1Ds/5D
> forum on DPReview, where it didn't seem to be much more of a problem
> than on the D30/D60/10D/20D forum. And my wife's cousin doesn't seem
> to have anymore of a problem with his 1Ds (mkI) than his, or our,
> 20Ds. I wonder why the larger sensor would have more of a problem. More
> charged surface, perchance?

Perhaps due to the larger mirror making larger fan-like strokes...churning
up more dust...?
Anonymous
September 24, 2005 4:36:26 PM

> Skip Middleton writes ...
>
>I got most of my info in an anecdotal form, from the 1D/1Ds/5D forum
> on DPReview ... And my wife's cousin doesn't seem to have anymore
>of a problem with his 1Ds (mkI) than his, or our, 20Ds.

I just got back from a week's camping trip in Alaska, photographing
coastal brown bears in Katmai. I used a 1D M II for about 1,700
frames, almost all with a 500 f/4 and didn't get a single dust mote on
the sensor (it rained 8-12 hours/day for 6 of the 7 days, which helps
keep the dust down though :) . I also used a 1Ds for about 200 frames
with 28-70 and 100-400 lenses and picked up two dust spots (visible
only at small aperture under test conditions). Several days I didn't
use the 1Ds at all since it was raining so hard I couldn't protect two
camera bodies at once. This is typically what I see, under the same
conditions the 1Ds just picks up more dust even when used for much
fewer shots and lens changes. I'll be in Tanzania in a few months
shooting from a vehicle on dusty tracks and I'm really worried about
the 1Ds, planning on cleaning it every day if necessary ...

Here are some quotes from Reichmann about the dust problems with the
full sensor bodies ... I'm not one of those guys who worships every
word he writes but in this case his experiences mirror mine almost
exactly ...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/1ds/1...
(field test of pre-production 1Ds)
Dust
Yes Virginia, dust does collect on the 1Ds' sensor. Since the camera
that I'm testing is Canon's pre-production sample I have no idea of
where it's been or the use its been subjected to prior to coming into
my hands. But in the past 36 hours I've probably changed the lens 30
times, and I'm seeing some dust images in places that I hadn't seen
them when I first got the camera. This is a more frequent occurrence of
dust than I've seen before from the D30 or the D60, though not as bad
as with the original 1D.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/1ds/1...
(after buying one and using it in New Mexico ... same thing I saw,
compared to the 10D ...)
Dust Bunnies
In some 2 years of working with the Canon D30 and D60 dust was seldom a
problem. I think that during that time between the two cameras I had to
use a blower to remove dust less than a half dozen times. In two weeks
of using the 1Ds though I have had to remove dust at least every other
day.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/5d-fi... (what
he just wrote about the 5D after using it in Greece and Turkey)
Dust to Dust
Over the past 6 years I've shot some 25,000+ frames with Canon DSLRs,
every single model from the D30 to the 5D. Dust on the sensor is one of
the unavoidable facts of life when working with almost all
interchangeable lens digital cameras. For some reason though, the 5D
that I was testing seemed to attract more dust than usual.

I would clean the sensor every day, hardly ever changed lenses (the
70-300mm f/5.6 DO IS was my lens of choice on my shoot in the Greek
islands, as it has been on every trip I've taken since this lens was
introduced in late 2004), and yet I'd be surprised each evening on
reviewing my files to find dust motes on my images. The conditions
weren't particularly dry, or dusty, but nevertheless I saw somewhat
more dust on the sensor than I've encountered before. Whether this was
some anomaly of locale, or peculiarity of this sample camera I can't
say.

Bill
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 3:05:46 AM

> [...]
> Over the past 6 years I've shot some 25,000+ frames with Canon DSLRs,
> every single model from the D30 to the 5D. Dust on the sensor is one of
> the unavoidable facts of life when working with almost all
> interchangeable lens digital cameras. For some reason though, the 5D
> that I was testing seemed to attract more dust than usual.
>
> I would clean the sensor every day, hardly ever changed lenses (the
> 70-300mm f/5.6 DO IS was my lens of choice on my shoot in the Greek
> islands, as it has been on every trip I've taken since this lens was
> introduced in late 2004), and yet I'd be surprised each evening on
> reviewing my files to find dust motes on my images. The conditions
> weren't particularly dry, or dusty, but nevertheless I saw somewhat
> more dust on the sensor than I've encountered before. Whether this was
> some anomaly of locale, or peculiarity of this sample camera I can't

I read his review of the 5D, and noted the comment about dust. But, like I
said, in the forums and the only guy I know who has a 1Ds, not to mention a
mkII, there didn't seem to be a big problem. I'm not saying I'm not wrong,
just noting it with interest.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 1:31:19 PM

> Skip Middleton writes ...
>
>But, like I said, in the forums and the only guy I know who has
>a 1Ds, not to mention a mkII, there didn't seem to be a big
>problem. I'm not saying I'm not wrong, just noting it with
>interest.

My theory is that when someone pays $8,000 for a camera they don't want
to talk about its weak point :)

Mark M, if you're still reading this, email me your address and I'll
send you a link to some brown bear photos from the recent trip you
wanted to go on ... always next year ...

Bill
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 2:03:29 PM

In article <1127585411.680191.41820@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Bill
Hilton <bhilton665@aol.com> writes
>Interesting
>to read Michael Reichmann's review of the 5D on his trip to Greece,
>where he comments that despite using mostly a single lens that rarely
>came off he still had to clean the sensor almost daily.

I wonder if part of that is because the 5D lacks the environmental
sealing on the pro cameras, so dust can actually get into the camera
without taking the lens off.
--
Kennedy
September 25, 2005 2:55:24 PM

Bill Hilton wrote:
>> Skip Middleton writes ...
>>
>> But, like I said, in the forums and the only guy I know who has
>> a 1Ds, not to mention a mkII, there didn't seem to be a big
>> problem. I'm not saying I'm not wrong, just noting it with
>> interest.
>
> My theory is that when someone pays $8,000 for a camera they don't
> want to talk about its weak point :)
>
> Mark M, if you're still reading this, email me your address and I'll
> send you a link to some brown bear photos from the recent trip you
> wanted to go on ... always next year ...
>
> Bill

Great!
I just e-mailed you...
-Mark
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 5:00:07 PM

>> Skip Middleton writes ...
>>
>>But, like I said, in the forums and the only guy I know who has
>>a 1Ds, not to mention a mkII, there didn't seem to be a big
>>problem. I'm not saying I'm not wrong, just noting it with
>>interest.
>
> My theory is that when someone pays $8,000 for a camera they don't want
> to talk about its weak point :)

You may have a point, at least as far as the forums are concerned, but Jim
(cousin) has been pretty forthright about warning us about pitfalls. He
does seem much happier, though, with his 20D than with the 1Ds. By the way,
he had a client buy it for him, when he pointed out to said client what it
would cost to rent a 1Ds (which the client insisted be used for a project)
for the month that the project would take.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 6:55:23 PM

Skip M wrote:
> "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> Skip Middleton writes ...
>>>
>>> But, like I said, in the forums and the only guy I know who has
>>> a 1Ds, not to mention a mkII, there didn't seem to be a big
>>> problem. I'm not saying I'm not wrong, just noting it with
>>> interest.
>>
>> My theory is that when someone pays $8,000 for a camera they don't
>> want to talk about its weak point :)
>>

> You may have a point, at least as far as the forums are concerned,
> but Jim (cousin) has been pretty forthright about warning us about
> pitfalls. He does seem much happier, though, with his 20D than with
> the 1Ds. By the way, he had a client buy it for him, when he pointed
> out to said client what it would cost to rent a 1Ds (which the client
> insisted be used for a project) for the month that the project would
> take.

Now THAT'S a client I wouldn't mind having...
:)
Anonymous
September 25, 2005 7:35:00 PM

> Skip M wrote:
>> "Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> My theory is that when someone pays $8,000 for a camera they don't
>>> want to talk about its weak point :)
>>>

>> You may have a point, at least as far as the forums are concerned,
>> but Jim (cousin) has been pretty forthright about warning us about
>> pitfalls. He does seem much happier, though, with his 20D than with
>> the 1Ds. By the way, he had a client buy it for him, when he pointed
>> out to said client what it would cost to rent a 1Ds (which the client
>> insisted be used for a project) for the month that the project would
>> take.
>
> Now THAT'S a client I wouldn't mind having...
> :)

Yeah. Me too! ;-)

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
September 29, 2005 2:47:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I got my initial shipment on Canon 5D and 24~105 lenses today. It is a good
feeling camera. I think these may be the first ones in Ottawa, Canada. My
guess is I'll be sold out by the week-end. hopefully I'll be quiet enough to
check it out more closely tomorrow.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 2:47:52 AM

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote in message
>I got my initial shipment on Canon 5D and 24~105 lenses today. It is a good
>feeling camera. I think these may be the first ones in Ottawa, Canada. My
>guess is I'll be sold out by the week-end. hopefully I'll be quiet enough
>to check it out more closely tomorrow.

I'd heard that Europe and Canada were getting them before the US. Odd,
Europe I can understand (bigger market) but Canada? Maybe they just want to
let you guys be first with something besides hockey... (Ducks, runs,
covering head!) ;-)

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 1:21:22 PM

Funny, isn't it? Three of those combos cost as much as an entry level
car.
I just can't figure that one out.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 4:28:17 PM

"RichA" <michaelanderson4@sympatico.ca> writes:

> Funny, isn't it? Three of those combos cost as much as an entry level
> car.
> I just can't figure that one out.

I read in Germany a small ad once stating: "Selling Rolex Oyster <some
model here> or trading for a new VW Golf".

I saw once in Zurich in a shop-window car key-chain with Rolls Royce logo
costing some 20000 Swiss francs (according to Google, it's some US$ 15454).

It's all relative.

Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

September 29, 2005 7:01:54 PM

Darrell wrote:
> I got my initial shipment on Canon 5D and 24~105 lenses today. It is a good
> feeling camera. I think these may be the first ones in Ottawa, Canada. My
> guess is I'll be sold out by the week-end. hopefully I'll be quiet enough to
> check it out more closely tomorrow.

The are already being discounted in Australia. $4990 USD instead of the
RRP of $5499. What is you RRP in the great frozen north?

--
Douglas...
I've taken the image of a Greek goddess

"Pix on Canvas" <canvaspix@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Darrell wrote:
>> I got my initial shipment on Canon 5D and 24~105 lenses today. It is a
>> good feeling camera. I think these may be the first ones in Ottawa,
>> Canada. My guess is I'll be sold out by the week-end. hopefully I'll be
>> quiet enough to check it out more closely tomorrow.
>>

> The are already being discounted in Australia. $4990 USD instead of the
> RRP of $5499. What is you RRP in the great frozen north?

I have them at CDN $4200 ($3,666 usd) , Canon Canada dropped the price by
$200 before they were shipped. The 24~105mm is CDN $1500 ($1280 USD).
September 30, 2005 4:20:43 AM

I'm assuming you actually meant AUD rather than USD?

> The are already being discounted in Australia. $4990 USD instead of the
> RRP of $5499. What is you RRP in the great frozen north?

Anonymous
September 30, 2005 10:59:50 AM

Eugene wrote:
> I'm assuming you actually meant AUD rather than USD?
>

>> The are already being discounted in Australia. $4990 USD instead of
>> the RRP of $5499. What is you RRP in the great frozen north?

Very perceptive of you Eugene

--
!