Sign in with
Your question

Cpu or gpu problem, wont even boot bios

Last response: in Systems
September 13, 2012 12:51:02 AM

Hello,
I am trying to see if this problem of mine is the CPU or the GPU. I got a 650PSU MSI P7nPlatinum mobo 2gb ddr2 800mhz ram and geforce 9600 gpu with a lga775 e8400 C2D. I just want to see if the bios will boot but every time I get nothing just a blank screen. What on earth is going on?

I know these are older components and all were being taken good care of. Im just boggled at what could be the problem. Everything was installed with great care so what gives. Im thinking GPU but I dont have a spare GPU (spare as in i dont want to tamper with my gFX 560ti) on this machine that will end up in a friends home. Please help.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2012 1:10:26 AM

Well you do have a spare then. If it is broken it's broken. I would first try to hook it up to an on mobo display output, if there is one. Is your monitor saying no signal? Is it post beeping or are the fans just spinning. For now that is the easiest way to do it. If you have a spare TRY IT! You will not break it, it's not as hard as it sounds and I am sure that you could look up a guide if you are scared to do it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 193 à CPUs
September 13, 2012 1:51:32 AM

take the video card out first..if the mb is posting you should get a cmos beep code. if not check that the mb standoff were used and the right screws..make sure the mb not gounded out. you may want to bread board the pc to see if it shorted out. another thing new builders do is not put the ram in the right slots. check the mb info to see if the ram in the right slots. also check that all the power plugs are connected..some of the newer mb have a 4/8 pin white atx power port near the cpu. if the mb was pulled from a prebuilt pc see if the mb standard wired atx mb or not.
m
l
!