Sign in with
Your question

Astro a40 vs razer tiamat7.1?

Last response: in Components
January 27, 2013 4:50:17 AM

hello guys .. iam gonna buy a good gaming headphones for my pc i may use it for ps3 but i would mostly use it for my pc ..i would need 7.1 headphones with good mic ..and comfortable..
i am presently looking at astro a40 and razer tiamat 7.1 .anyone who have used these headphones plz help me ..thanks

and will i need a sound card with these headphones my mobo is http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/
asrock z77 extreme 4 .

thanks you guys for the help.
January 27, 2013 10:13:45 AM

anyone?
m
l
January 31, 2013 6:33:53 AM

What's up monik,

I have yet to test the astro a40, but I have tested the razer tiamat 7.1 extensively and was very pleased. It has 5 pairs of drivers so the surround sound is pretty solid, especially directional audio - and it can be adjusted externally with a small control pod. I did find the earcups a tad on the small size, but I have big ears :ange: . The microphone I would rate about 7.5 ~ 8/10 - it's definitely functional but other models in a similar price range tested better. I'm also a fan of detachable mics and this one is unfortunately fixed, though it can flip back.

Also, your asrock mobo does have onboard support for 7.1 channels and thx-trustudio codec, so while you may benefit from a soundcard, it's definitely not a requirement. Secondly, if you're really into cross-platform gaming, I'd check out the tactic 3d omega. Definitely one of my top favorites in terms of utility, since it works on the pc, ps3, xbox, and mac. It is wireless, just so you know.

Happy gaming buddy :D 

-audioranger
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2013 12:02:03 PM

I have a low opinion of all surround headphones; drivers are typically weak, you have gaps when the audio moves to a different driver, and so on. I prefer getting a good stereo headset paired with a soundcard with Dolby Headphone support. [Alternatively, you can get a headset with built in Dolby Headphone support; several exist]
m
l
February 12, 2013 12:35:35 PM

audioranger said:
What's up monik,

I have yet to test the astro a40, but I have tested the razer tiamat 7.1 extensively and was very pleased. It has 5 pairs of drivers so the surround sound is pretty solid, especially directional audio - and it can be adjusted externally with a small control pod. I did find the earcups a tad on the small size, but I have big ears :ange: . The microphone I would rate about 7.5 ~ 8/10 - it's definitely functional but other models in a similar price range tested better. I'm also a fan of detachable mics and this one is unfortunately fixed, though it can flip back.

Also, your asrock mobo does have onboard support for 7.1 channels and thx-trustudio codec, so while you may benefit from a soundcard, it's definitely not a requirement. Secondly, if you're really into cross-platform gaming, I'd check out the tactic 3d omega. Definitely one of my top favorites in terms of utility, since it works on the pc, ps3, xbox, and mac. It is wireless, just so you know.

Happy gaming buddy :D 

-audioranger

hey have you used beats by dr. dre i liked it when i tried it ..are they worth buying?
m
l
February 12, 2013 2:45:38 PM

monik500 said:
hey have you used beats by dr. dre i liked it when i tried it ..are they worth buying?

Don't buy those, I've heard they are essentially overpriced junk.

I second gamerk316's opinion of surround headphones. Multiple drivers in headphones don't really work, as you can't really place them as a 5.1 setup should be places.

Virtual surround sound headsets are much better IMO. They have one driver per ear which gives you fuller sound than all those little drivers. Then either use a soundcard with Dolby Headphone, or get a headset that natively supports it, like the Corsair Vengeance 1500(I have them, they are great).
m
l
!