Sign in with
Your question

Determining power supply for GFX card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 25, 2012 1:34:02 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm on a budget, I can't play the games I like, and I've been looking to upgrade to a graphics card from integrated graphics. I think I've found a card I like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but I have no idea what kind of power I need. I just can't find it. Feel free to let me know if you think I'm making a mistake on the card, by the way.

My question is: How do I determine whether or not my computer's power supply can handle a certain graphics card? I jotted down some notes I saw pasted inside my computer about DC output and AV input, but I have no idea what to make of them. I have a Gateway SX2840-01.
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 1:38:34 PM

this card would run even on a 250w psu
youll be fine no need to upgrade your psu
dont worry :) 
edit- your comp has a 220w psu so it should work flawlessly
cheers!
m
l
July 25, 2012 1:40:39 PM

@panwala Just for future reference, how did you determine that so quickly, and without knowing my PSU's output?

Thank you!

@BigMack It lists a lot of things on the inside, right on top of the cage that contains my power source. I tried taking a picture but my camera can't focus on it. I can look again and give more details, I think I took notes on the wrong stuff.

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 1:43:05 PM

if you type on google
Gateway SX2840-01 power supply you will find out
m
l
July 25, 2012 1:46:31 PM

Apparently I have a 220W PSU. Also, I really need a GFX card that is about half-height, since my tower is so compact. Honestly, any upgrade is probably going to be an improvement over my integrated graphics, right?

EDIT: Seems we're all replying at the same time. Glad to get so much help. Well, to be honest changing my power supply is going to cost a lot more than $50 because I don't know how to change it myself. Everything past the plug is caged on the inside of my tower. I have no idea how to take it out.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 1:48:33 PM

HE SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM
I ONCE RAN A GEFORCE 210 WITH MY PRESENT CONFIG ( SEE SIGNATURE ) on an iball 250 w psu and it worked flawlessly
he has a dual core so he should be fine
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 1:53:30 PM

Quote:
A GT210.......
No games for you my friend!

sir i was just giving an example !
m
l
July 25, 2012 1:54:01 PM

Thanks again. If there is a little debate on what wattage I would actually need, is there a way to calculate for sure how much "extra" wattage I have to spare for a dedicated GFX card?

Thanks for all the help. I'd love to know if BigMack's suggestion for a card would actually fit in my tower. The PCI slot itself is only 1cmx6cm.
m
l
July 25, 2012 2:26:47 PM

OK, so I'm getting close here.

I've been comparing these cards. I'm not sure what will fit, but I think power supply is gonna be the biggest issue.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

Opinions?

Nevermind! Needs a lot of power. Thanks for all your help everyone! I'm going with the GT 520.
m
l
August 1, 2012 12:03:10 AM

Best answer selected by FPS_Jay.
m
l
!