Sign in with
Your question

USB ports randomly stop working during high system load

Last response: in Components
January 27, 2013 6:28:19 AM

I've been googleing and searching the forums here to no avail for days now.

Basically, the problem is that while running some 3D games, which I assume are taxing the system more, as well as generating heat from the CPU/GPUs, all of my USB ports, 2.0 and 3.0, on the motherboard (back panel) and the case (front panel), will periodically stop working. First, the mouse will start hanging, becoming non-responsive for less than a second. After a couple minutes of that, the mouse will hand for a couple seconds at a time, and the Windows PNP device "unplug" and "plug" sounds will play. Next, the mouse will become permanently non-responsive, quickly followed by the keyboard, printer and USB mic. When these devices turn completely non-responsive, the only thing I have found that will remedy the situation is to restart the system. This has never failed to work, but the period of time before this problem starts happening again seems to be greater from a cold start than a reset.

At first I assumed that this must be a driver problem, so I updated all of my drivers and mobo firmware. I also check my power settings, and disabled USB selective disconnect. Then I went into the device manager and checked the power settings for each usb device and the root hubs to make sure that windows couldn't turn them off to save power. None of this helped.

Next I assumed that it must be a motherboard problem, perhaps a defective USB controller that was overheating way too easily. My motherboard was only a few months old, and still under warranty, so I got it replaced. At first I thought this had fixed it, but after about 45 minutes the problem was back.

The only other thing I can think of is that my PSU could be defective, as it is the oldest component in my system at about 2 or 3 years old, but I wanted to get another opinion or two before I got and drop $150 on a new one. Below is a list of my hardware, and thanks for any help.

ASUS Sabertooth Z77 mobo
Intel i7 3770K cpu
4x4Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
120Gb SSD
1TB HDD
2xEVGA GTX 670s, SLI
1000W PSU, can't remember the manufacturer, as I said somewhat older than the rest of the system and as I recall I didn't pay too much for it.
4x120mm case fans
1x140mm case fan
Corsair H80 CPU liquid cooling

USB Peripherals:
hp Inkjet printer
Logitech HD400 gaming mouse
Microsoft Natural Ergo keyboard
Logitech USB mic
January 27, 2013 6:40:38 AM

if your running the 1805 bios make sure the usb ports are set to default. that you installed the newest driver for the 3 party usb chipset. in the bios make sure the onboard ipgpu is off and the mvp chipset is turned off and the software not installed. it can cause issues with gaming rigs bonding the ipgpu and gpus together. make sure running the newest driver for the usb 3.0 ports.
and the newest intel chipset drivers for the mb.
m
l
January 27, 2013 6:51:26 AM

Ok, what do you mean by "set to default" for the usb ports, and what is the mvp chipset? As for the rest, I'm pretty sure I'm up to date on drivers and firmware.
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2013 3:37:41 PM

it under the primany gpu set up screen. it a chipset built into the mb that lets you bond the ipgpu and gpu for faster frame rates. the software and chipset is buggy. Lucid Virtu MVP software and chipset.
m
l
January 27, 2013 8:58:52 PM

Ok, yeah MVP has been off, and I'm pretty sure that there's no software or driver installed for it. Search through my drives, programs and device manager. What did you mean by "set the USB ports to default"?
m
l
January 28, 2013 2:10:03 AM

Got another symptom to add, couple times today my GPUs revved up to full fan, and usage/core clock/mem clock jumped up, quickly followed by the monitor going black and a video driver crash and then recovery, all in the span of about 3 - 4 seconds. Wasn't doing anything except downloads and browsing the web at the time, and the GPU temp stayed at or under 30C the whole time. Also not overclocking at the moment, so its not a stability issue from that.
m
l
January 28, 2013 3:35:32 AM

if it not a driver issues...cleaning up old driver and installing the newest one..i would run hardware monitor...watch your power supply out put voltage.
m
l
January 28, 2013 3:56:10 AM

Yesterday I went through all my usb drivers and deleted everything that wasn't current or present, and updated everything, I'm pretty sure it isn't a driver issue at this point. I've got the hardware monitor recording my +12, 5 and 3.3 voltages for the next few hours, ill see if anything pops up.
m
l
January 28, 2013 5:55:10 PM

So I watched a graph of the voltage while starts bugging out, and it does seem to ripple at the time of the trouble, but only by about 100mV for the 12V, and a fair bit less for the other two.
m
l
January 28, 2013 7:09:13 PM

it does not take much ac ripple to cause issues with mb.
m
l
January 28, 2013 11:50:34 PM

Ok, well, took the plunge, I got a new PSU in the mail. I'll check back in when I get it installed and see if I get some resolution. Thanks for the help.
m
l
February 1, 2013 2:48:29 AM

Ok so I got the new power supply today, got it installed, and set about trying to get my little usb bug to happen. I'm disappointed to say that it only took about 20 minutes before the mouse started crapping out, quickly followed by the keyboard. Still, no graphics cards stuff this time, and no blue screens, which is an improvement, so I think it might have been time to replace the thing anyways (trying to feel good about my new purchase lol), but I still can't play freaking video games on my video game machine.
m
l
February 1, 2013 2:52:18 AM

Some more information: I got the back usb ports to all stop working for an extended period of time, and popped open the device managed from another port. It says that the keyboard is plugged in and working, no conflict, driver good, but this is obviously incorrect, and the keyboard is not accepting input. The lights are on, but for instance caps lock doesn't change the indicator light and no text is received by the OS.

Also, apparently it isn't even necessary to restart the computer to restore function, only to put it to sleep. As soon as the screen goes black, the keyboard magically starts working, and can wake the machine up from the sleep state.
m
l
February 1, 2013 5:46:00 AM

This is turning into kind of a monologue, but I fixed the mouse problem, and probably the USB problem. The mouse wire was apparently a really tiny gauge, and the ground wire inside had broken from mechanical stress, so that in certain cord positions the strands would break contact and the mouse would, predictable, stop working. This may or may not have also been shorting the USB hub out, causing the other USB problems.
m
l
July 14, 2013 1:28:24 AM

Dbretwolfe said:
This is turning into kind of a monologue, but I fixed the mouse problem, and probably the USB problem. The mouse wire was apparently a really tiny gauge, and the ground wire inside had broken from mechanical stress, so that in certain cord positions the strands would break contact and the mouse would, predictable, stop working. This may or may not have also been shorting the USB hub out, causing the other USB problems.

m
l
July 14, 2013 1:32:59 AM

I had exactly the same issues-but have tried other mice and they all randomly freeze, change pointer from hands to lines etc and ultimately freeze up. Sometimes the mouse just delays it's movement. Tried all drivers etc. I have an ASUS P8Z68 V-LE. Whewn i use the other usb ports (non 3.0/2.0 Asmedias) I have no trouble. I'm thinking its the hardware eh? Not sure what I can do-at least my other USB ports work ok....
m
l
!