PC Passes POST, Boots but no video display

Tomes

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hi,

I have a problem in that one of my GPUs isn't 'working as intended'. With it in, the PC will POST, beep once as normal and boot but there's nothing on the monitor and light stays amber. This happened 'overnight', previously the card worked fine.
I know the POST error beeps sound correctly on both computers I have tried this card in as I have taken out the RAM to test this. I also have another card of the same specs (intended to be run in SLI but I've actually previous to it's dying given the Bad Card away to the guy who owns the i5 listed below so now he's going to get my MSI card so I'm gutted) and the second card works fine, the results from both cards are identical ie POST/beep/Boot except the Galaxy isn't communicating with the monitor it seems, while with the MSI I get video display.
The cards are only being uses singly atm, this is not a SLI issue, that idea has gone by the wayside for now. Basically I can have the Good Card in either PC and everything works as intended. I can then immediately power down and swap cards and get zero from/to the monitor via the Galaxy. From that I've basically deduced that its not the monitor, cable, mobo, PCIe slot or PSU. Nothing has changed in configuration or setup between the card working and not working.
The MSI works in boths PCs, the Galaxy works in neither though both cards will POST fine and the PCs boot up. The crappy ATI throwaway card that came with the i5 works in both just fine also.
Both of the PCs are also fresh installs of Win7 Pro w/ all up to date and correct drivers.
Why would a card with a undeniable problem not fail POST? The only thing I can think of is it's a connection issue between card and monitor but I can't see anything glaringly obvious >.<

Good card: MSI GTX275
Bad card: Galaxy GTX275

So I'm stumped :pfff: Any help/suggestions/anecdotes/tips appreciated!

Specs are:

PC #1 :love:
GA-890FXA-UD7 mobo
Phenom 1100T BE CPU
16G Corsair RAM
Coolermaster 725W PSU
Generic LG Optical drive
Stock cooling

PC #2 :sleep:
some Gigabyte Intel mobo (don't care to remember exact spec/model)
i5 QuadCore yadayada
4G budget RAM
Coolermaster 725W PSU (same unit swapped out in both PCs and used to run both cards)
Generic LG Optical drive
stock cooling

Tomes

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
A dead card would not/should not POST and would/should give error beeps, depending. I have a dead card here, tried it as part of the test. Wouldn't POST and both PCs gave long-short-short error beeps as you would expect.
Thank you for taking time to answer though, it's appreciated. Tthat's why I posted on Toms Hardware - a forum where you actually get replies =)

Tomes

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

I don't mind if it is dead as that means I have a really good excuse to buy a new card ;) I have to justify all my spends to my non-nerdy bf lol he doens't understand the standard Consumer Rules of Need vs Want do not apply to computers! So I would like to get it going (?) in the meantime because once I put the MSI in the i5 and send it off, and until I can find a few hundred to spare for a Bigger, Better, Sexier card, it will with leave me without a GPU for my new PC and the only alternative then is my old PC that's APG + single-core and powered by a geriatric hamster with advanced alzheimers.
It's the inconsistencies that have me baffled mostly, followed by the desire to know Why? also closely followed by the need to get it going again if at all possible.
If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate their input. Cheerz :)

spagalicious

Distinguished
Well it is an old card (by industry standards) and from what you've said, it sounds like the card has had its day.

I mean there may be some kind of bad connection between the dvi and the pcb.

*Stupid question* Have you tried both dvi inputs? (sorry I said it)

You may just have to get a new card if you did all this troubleshooting and have deduced that it is indeed the GPU.

That's about all the troubleshooting I can do without seeing your rig in person.

Tomes

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

It only has 1 DVI input (was the first thing I looked for myself tbh) and that's not a stupid question, it's completely valid :pt1cable:

Well, I guess the card will makes a decent sized paperweight so it will still have its uses haha

Thanks guys :D

Tomes

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012

Wow that is weird. I'll definitely try all the setup and boot combinations and reinstalling the drivers tomorrow and see what results I get. Makes it sound like the temperamental random sort of problems you get after a chipset has been exposed to some unwanted voltage. If I sort something out I'll keep the Galaxy though and give the bro-in-law the MSI with his i5. Even if it's going I can't in good faith send it out not being 100% comfortable with it's stability.
I'll post tomorrow after p*ssing about with the setups a bit.
Cheers for that link! Really appreciate it :D