Closed Solved

Need new graphics card

Hello, I want to play Skyrim but I have a Radeon 3450 and it runs very slowly. I would also like to play the Prototype series but don't have them and haven't tried them. I am not a serious gamer I just play for fun sometimes and am looking for a good graphics card that is around $100 or less.

Current specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.33 GHz processor
6 GB RAM
64-bit operating system (don't know if that is needed or not)
29 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need graphics card
  1. Oh yeah, that HD 3450 is very very old, and wasn't a good gaming card to begin with.

    If you are shopping for only 100 bucks, go for a 7750. That card hovers around 100 bucks, usually more than 100 bucks before a sale or rebate. If you can stretch just a little bit, try this:

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121633

    It is 109 dollars before a 10 dollar rebate, so after rebate, it would be 99 dollars. That is a good card for the value.
  2. Best answer
    I'd suggest HD 7750, it should be the best match for your PC:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969

    It will run all new games without any problems ;).
  3. If your PSU is 400W+ and has good amps to push this card, then this one would be the best bang for your buck. The GTS 450 will be able to play Skyrim on high settings with shadows set to medium and you are good to go.

    Plus, it has a nice looking chick on the sticker, lol

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134119
  4. @El Tigre: one issue with GTS 450: it's same price as HD 7750 but performs much worse.

  5. HD 7750 should fit your budget and need. It will work just fine with low-mid settings.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969


    edit:
    my reply took too long. everybody is suggesting the same card LOL.
  6. True, but he can get this one and it's $70 after rebate. I wouldn't say much worse, the GTS 450 is a little beast at OC.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127606
  7. Sunius said:
    @El Tigre: one issue with GTS 450: it's same price as HD 7750 but performs much worse.

    http://tpucdn.com/reviews/ASUS/HD_7750/images/perfrel.gif


    Absolutely a 7750, fantastic card, especially if you get one on sale. That ASUS I pointed out is very quiet too, and ASUS didn't skimp on the card design, they actually used a 4 pin PWM FAN, where as Sapphire, HIS, PowerColor, Gigabyte all used 2 pin or 3 pin FANs without PWM.
  8. The 7750 would be my recommendation - but make sure your computer case doesn't require a "low-profile" graphics card. The 3450's were often used in slim cases where full-sized graphics cards couldn't be used.
  9. As great as their mobos are, 2/4 Asus graphics cards I bought failed within days or hours of first use. I prefer XFX, HIS, or Sapphire. If you can fit it into your budget, the HD7750 is a great choice.
    If that $100 is a hard budget (and you'd really rather spend less), considering what you have now, you may also be happy with a GDDR5 version of the HD6670; that's something like an eleven-tier jump, and the HD7750 is only a couple more.

    Edit: There are two low-profile HD6670's available, if you have that size limit.
  10. Onus said:
    As great as their mobos are, 2/4 Asus graphics cards I bought failed within days or hours of first use. I prefer XFX, HIS, or Sapphire. If you can fit it into your budget, the HD7750 is a great choice.
    If that $100 is a hard budget (and you'd really rather spend less), considering what you have now, you may also be happy with a GDDR5 version of the HD6670; that's something like an eleven-tier jump, and the HD7750 is only a couple more.

    Edit: There are two low-profile HD6670's available, if you have that size limit.


    Which ASUS cards did you have that failed ? I personally only had horrible experiences with ASUS RMA.

    Also, there was a low profile 7750 released not long ago, this one I think:

    http://www.techpowerup.com/167347/Sapphire-Squeezes-Radeon-HD-7750-Down-to-Single-Slot-Low-Profile.html

    Oh, and between me and my friends, we have 1 dead HIS, 1 dead Gigabyte, 2 dead Sapphire, 1 dead PowerColor Video Card off the top of my head...
  11. Thanks for all the help so far guys! I'm almost positive I'll need a low profile graphics card and am currently stuck between the

    XFX 6670
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150545

    and the low profile Sapphire Radeon 7750


    Any opinions? Also haven't been able to find a place to buy the low profile 7750 so if you find one please link!!


    Thanks!
  12. Ok, well first make absolutely sure that you need a low-profile (sometimes called half-height) graphics card. What case/computer model do you have?

    If you are sure you need low-profile then the 6670 is the best that I see that is available on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102958

    The low-profile 7750s have been launched but are not yet available (I'm guessing very soon but I dunno how long you can wait).
  13. That XFX card wasn't low-profile. This HIS will probably be quieter than the Sapphire: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161397 BUT you need to install the included low-profile bracket(s), and it is also wider than a single slot. The Sapphire also has a rebate, if you play that game and win.
    I've been very lucky with graphics cards, but have had three fail that I recall. The Asus ones that died were a HD3850 and a GTX560Ti. I have not had to deal with Asus RMA because of how quickly they died. I'm running all XFX right now.
  14. jaquoles said:

    And by the way - that card isn't a low-profile, it's just a single slot card. The one I linked is low-profile (meaning less 'tall').
  15. larkspur said:
    Ok, well first make absolutely sure that you need a low-profile (sometimes called half-height) graphics card. What case/computer model do you have?

    If you are sure you need low-profile then the 6670 is the best that I see that is available on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102958

    The low-profile 7750s have been launched but are not yet available (I'm guessing very soon but I dunno how long you can wait).


    I have an Inspiron 518.

    I know definitely not for gaming but luckily I'm not hardcore or anything its just something fun the pass time.
  16. Ok well from what I see, your Inspiron 518 does NOT require a low-profile card. But it also only has a 300w PSU.

    Get a regular-sized 7750 like what has been recommended above - it should work great for you.
  17. larkspur said:
    Ok well from what I see, your Inspiron 518 does NOT require a low-profile card. But it also only has a 300w PSU.

    Get a regular-sized 7750 like what has been recommended above - it should work great for you.


    I looked at the requirements on the website and it says minimum of 400W and you say my pc only has 300w will it still work?

    http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7750/Pages/radeon-7750.aspx#3
  18. Graphics card makers overstate PSU requirements in the often vain attempt to counter all the liar-labeled junk out there (e.g. Logisys, Apevia, Diablotek, CM). The HD7750 uses about 61W max, or about 5A. Dell PSUs may be small, but they aren't junk. You'll be fine.
  19. I personally recommend XFX for video cards, as I've bought 4 cards from them and had zero issues. Sapphire is pretty good too.
  20. Get a 7770 if you can over the 7750. Not to long ago you could get a 7770 for $90 from newegg.
  21. Should i get a sapphire or an asus? They are both same price but don't know which is more reliable or just better.

    Thanks for help guys!!
  22. I personally think Sapphire is slightly better, but someone else will probably say the same about ASUS :) Get which ever one you like the style of more.
  23. stant1rm said:
    I personally think Sapphire is slightly better, but someone else will probably say the same about ASUS :) Get which ever one you like the style of more.


    Well ASUS consistently have PWM fans (costs more, and better control), and they have the GPU die glued down to the PCB to absorb shock (like in cellphones).

    These manufacturers are divided up to tiers, but I can't remember who belongs to what tier exactly. I remember ASUS being top tier for AMD video cards, but not sure about Sapphire. Usually first tiers gets the GPU dies first it the GPU dies are on allocation.
  24. Sapphire is a top tier manufacturer as well.
  25. stant1rm said:
    Sapphire is a top tier manufacturer as well.


    Good to know. Thanks! I had a few Sapphire cards, they performed well until I killed them... My fault.
  26. MSI also
  27. Quote:
    MSI also


    Or not....
  28. Best answer selected by Jaquoles.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product