a sursound card that will like my mobo

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i want to get a seround sound csrd becuase i have these altec 5 pice spekers and i would like to use them to there full extent.

i have a fic ad11 whcci i'm pretty sure that it has the dreaded south bridge of via, the 686b

so i need a good sound card that will work with it and perferably under a 100 dollars

i also only neeeed 4.1 sound becuase that all i have for speakers

a bounus would be linux suport becuase i'm trying to rellay get into linuix so it would be nice to have sound in linuix

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you want good sound for cheap I suggest finding a ESS Canyon 3d card ($20-$50, the more you look the cheaper it gets). Next up would be the Phillips Accoustic Edge for something under $100.

Back to you Tom...

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
thanks another sugestions on cards that are still very easily found

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

G

I vote for the Philips Acoustic Edge. I did have problems with an SBLive! on an Asus A7M266 with the 686B southbridge(long story) and switching to the Philips fixed the problem. I highly recommend this card for motherboards with the 686B.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, they've reworked the win2k drivers for the acoustic and the santa cruz. Either are better than sb live with a 686b.....

<font color=blue>I hacked Msft, and all I got was this lousy source code.....</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I personally had a horrible experience with my Philips Seismic Edge, as did two of my friends. It has the same DSP as the Acoustic Edge. Bad sound quality, bad balance in games (background noise way louder than the person talking to you, etc), and horrible drivers and online support.
I fell back on that because my Live was having problems.

I ordered a Hercules Game Theatre XP yesterday, it uses the same DSP as the TB Santa Cruz. Really looking forward to getting it.

Crash, you talk alot about how you don't like Creative, and this sound quality is better, etc.
Just out of curiosity, what experience do you have in the audio field? I already know your qualifications for computer hardware in general, of course.
(BTW, I don't have any great love for Creative myself, so I'm not trying to attack you or anything.)

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
lets put it this way i have ac97 right now so basically anything will be a imporvment for me.