Tried everything in serious need of help...

G

Ok here it is. I traded in my ps3 blu ray collection games and laptop to buy a second hand pc to play guild wars 2. I have since spent 3 full days of time i took off work to play this game trying to get the pc to work. It has been agony because everything seems fine including in stress tests but when i play games it freezes every 5 minutes then starts working again. It makes everything unplayable and frankly i want to rip my hair out. Here is a video i posted on youtube of the problem happening. Notice the text disappearing, it starts to slow up, sound starts to go, then freeze completely. If watch till the end of video you see that it all comes back again then this repeats every 5 min or so. It's like it builds up a backlog of data then has to pause to process it before it will carry on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ClDFLnmRg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Please if you have any suggestions i really would appreciate it. I can't get all my very well looked after equipment back from the 2nd hand store and getting a whole new rig from them is not an easy option as it depends on stock and wether another store may have something similair. Also the pc runs fine for browsing and general use and games are silky smooth with high graphics setting until about 5 mins in then it crashes. Also the fact all the equipment passes stress tests i feel like its just a setting i need to change.

I know its not the game because i have the exact same problem when trying to play star craft 2

Here is my spec

AMD phenom II x6 1055t 2.8GHz
Nvidia GTX 460 2gb
3 x 2gb ddr3 1333mhz ram
asrock m3a ucc motherboard
windows 7

Here is a run down of things I have painstakingly tried to no avail. Also it was a fresh install of windows. It might not seem like alot from the list but this is after many conversations emails research and hours on forums trying to find an answer to my problem. I am not a expert and have limited knowledge so have found it very hard to get as far as i have and have learnt a lot on the way! However i have become extremely disheartened as after 3 solid days a hundred million reboots thousands of variations (it feels) of settings changed. Every time i am just about to think it might just work! It crashes, please please please can someone give me the magic fix im looking for you honestly would make my bloody year i've never done something this aggravating time consuming but in the end ultimately unsuccessful.

Heres the list

- underclocking the cpu
- overclocking the cpu
- changing multiple settings on the cpu to see if it makes a difference like "turbo" setting or "cool and quiet" setting basically any setting i could that didn't look too important or i didnt understand
- turning off cores of my cpu
- turning of each individual core to see if any weren't working
- taking out each individual stick of ram
- trying ram on different bus
- reinstalling drivers for gpu
- trying multiple beta drivers for gpu
- underclocking the gpu
- replacing gpu same problem persists
- running game from different HDD
- trying a different psu
- stress test the cpu was fine
- stress test gpu again fine
- mem test passed
- changing the multiplier on my ram (someone suggested it might not be in sync with my cpu)
- and finally reinstalling windows for the second time in 3 days but still same problem persists

i also thought about motherboard drivers but i didnt think i needed any of these maybe you can tell me different
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Download&os=Win7&Model=M3A%20UCC

also it blue screened once and i downloaded blue screen viewer to try to tell me what the problem was. After looking i thought maybe its a corrupt system file but a reinstall of windows did nothing

this is what the two red highlighted dump files said

==================================================
Dump File : 091112-27125-01.dmp
Crash Time : 11/09/2012 20:29:24
Bug Check String : KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
Bug Check Code : 0x0000007a
Parameter 1 : fffff6fc`40007158
Parameter 2 : ffffffff`c00000c0
Parameter 3 : 00000000`b06a5860
Parameter 4 : fffff880`00e2b000
Caused By Driver : volmgrx.sys
Caused By Address : volmgrx.sys+1000
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7f1c0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\091112-27125-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 266,320

Filename : ntoskrnl.exe
Address In Stack : ntoskrnl.exe+ec542
From Address : fffff800`02c07000
To Address : fffff800`031ef000
Size : 0x005e8000
Time Stamp : 0x4fa390f3
Time String : 04/05/2012 09:18:59
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
File Description : NT Kernel & System
File Version : 6.1.7601.17835 (win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Company : Microsoft Corporation
Full Path : C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

thanks for reading looking foward to some fresh ideas!

dane332

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Wow I'm pretty much stumped on this one, let me think about this and I'll get back to you tomorrow.

from what i can tell guild wars 2 is a fairly new game, does this happen with any other games? Perhaps its just a game issue itself that needs to be fixed with a patch, are there other people having the same issue?

I do know that in the latest beta patch of nvidia drivers it says it helps fix stuttering issue with vsync. try turning this(vsync) off and see if it fixes it(if its off turn it on) I'll see if i can think of anything else

G

what should i be looking out for? Also im guessing the resource monitor that comes with w7 is fine i dont need to download another one?

tedtlogan

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

Ok so i ran resource monitor. My cpu is working very hard when it freezes. Also its probably worth knowing i that the freezing will initiate in less time and happen more frequently when there is only 1 x 2gb of ram installed as opposed to 3 x 2gb sticks installed. Is the cpu trying to make up for something the ram isnt doing? If so how do i get the ram to do its job properly?

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
I'm fairly certain its the HDD. Look at the BSOD - volmgr - run a short Seagate Seatools diagnostic and report back.

EDIT: Only run two RAM sticks in dual channel too.

EDIT 2: It definitely looks like the HDD. Test it.

tedtlogan

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

ive tried another game and it crashes in exactly the same way. Also if i run a HD video it will do the same thing just resolves the freeze quicker