Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Brand New Gigabyte Radeon 7870 dies after 11 days?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 25, 2012 4:04:21 PM

Hello, I am pretty new to the Tom's hardware community, so thanks to anyone who reads/responds. I bought a new Gigabyte AMD Radeon 7870 from newegg and after having it in for only 11 days it died... I had a Nvidia GTS 450 before so this was a pretty big upgrade. My computer is a home build that my brother gave me for christmas (will list details below) . As far as I know I meet all the required specs, has anyone heard of this happening with this card? Specifically, it will show bios screen, windows load screen, but when the windows chime happens it shows "no input" and never returns... Acts the same when starting in safe mode.

motherboard: MSI NF725GM-P43
CPU: 3.5 ghz AMD Phenom II x4 970
Graphics: Gigabyte AMD Radeon 7870
Power supply: Thermaltake TR2 600w
a c 1410 U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 10:03:41 PM

Have you tried your old card? If it works you know it is the new card and you need to RMA it. Not uncommon that hardware fails soon after being put in use, just happens.
m
l
July 26, 2012 2:40:15 AM

Thanks for the reply, the old card also died which is making me a little nervous, but I put in my OOOOOLD graphics card (GeForce GS 240) and it is running fine for now.... occasional black screen for a fraction of a second, but I feel like that has always happened. I'm sure this card is bad, I just don't know if it's bad because of the card or if something else in my set up is making them die
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 5:05:03 AM

Hmm... I would RMA the 7870 and see how it works. If it dies too, you might have PSU issue.
a c 198 U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 7:19:37 AM

Those TR2 PSU's arent the most reliable thing in the world.

But it should be able to run a 7870 fine, maybe send it back and see whats what.
m
l
July 27, 2012 3:27:54 PM

Is it worth upgrading the PSU so I don't have to wonder if that's what it is/having a second card die?
m
l
a c 1410 U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 3:42:42 PM

Two cards dying on the same PSU can be a coincidence but then again it might be caused by the PSU. At minimum check the Voltages from the PSU before putting in another card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 3:53:07 PM

If you have the budget for a new PSU and can spend around $100 bucks, I highly recommend PC Power & Cooling PSU's. They are one of the oldest OEM's making PSU's and they well known for quality. Right now their 750W Silencer is $89 after the rebate on newegg. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )

Another cheaper option that would certainly be better then your TR2 is a Corsair Builder Series 600W ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )
m
l
a c 1410 U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 3:56:22 PM

stant1rm said:
If you have the budget for a new PSU and can spend around $100 bucks, I highly recommend PC Power & Cooling PSU's. They are one of the oldest OEM's making PSU's and they well known for quality. Right now their 750W Silencer is $89 after the rebate on newegg. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )

Another cheaper option that would certainly be better then your TR2 is a Corsair Builder Series 600W ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )

PC power & Cooling is currently OCZ both are recommended, other recommended brands Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, XFX to name few.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 4:00:04 PM

OCZ bought PC Power & Cooling? Interesting. Seasonic, XFX and Antec are all great brands,

I have used OCZ, Corsair, Antec, and Seasonic PSU's as well as XFX video cards, and cart state that from personal experience they are great companies, with great products and good tech support should the worst happen.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 4:11:31 PM

Dude, thats a great case. I love mine. It will all work perfectly.
m
l
July 27, 2012 4:22:08 PM

I think I will probably replace the PSU before the RMA comes back, just to be sure. Thanks a lot. Wish I could select best answer now but no way to tell. If this is still open when I get my RMA back, I'll update and select.

Oh and Rolli, good idea to check voltages, but I'm a noob and have no voltmeter. Although I'm sure my bro does so I'll see if I can borrow it.
m
l
a c 1410 U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 4:33:46 PM

stant1rm said:
OCZ bought PC Power & Cooling? Interesting. Seasonic, XFX and Antec are all great brands,

I have used OCZ, Corsair, Antec, and Seasonic PSU's as well as XFX video cards, and cart state that from personal experience they are great companies, with great products and good tech support should the worst happen.

Been 5 years http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/press/2007/222
m
l
August 22, 2012 5:04:34 PM

Well, I haven't got it back yet, but Gigabyte says it worked fine during the RMA.... Hopefully the new PSU does the job and it's all fine
m
l
August 29, 2012 2:40:15 AM

got the card back, and sure enough it works fine... must have been a PSU issue. Thanks for help
m
l
August 29, 2012 2:40:37 AM

Best answer selected by Capsandogs.
m
l
!