Brand New Gigabyte Radeon 7870 dies after 11 days?

capsandogs

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012
Hello, I am pretty new to the Tom's hardware community, so thanks to anyone who reads/responds. I bought a new Gigabyte AMD Radeon 7870 from newegg and after having it in for only 11 days it died... I had a Nvidia GTS 450 before so this was a pretty big upgrade. My computer is a home build that my brother gave me for christmas (will list details below) . As far as I know I meet all the required specs, has anyone heard of this happening with this card? Specifically, it will show bios screen, windows load screen, but when the windows chime happens it shows "no input" and never returns... Acts the same when starting in safe mode.

motherboard: MSI NF725GM-P43
CPU: 3.5 ghz AMD Phenom II x4 970
Graphics: Gigabyte AMD Radeon 7870
Power supply: Thermaltake TR2 600w

capsandogs

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012
Thanks for the reply, the old card also died which is making me a little nervous, but I put in my OOOOOLD graphics card (GeForce GS 240) and it is running fine for now.... occasional black screen for a fraction of a second, but I feel like that has always happened. I'm sure this card is bad, I just don't know if it's bad because of the card or if something else in my set up is making them die

stant1rm

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

PC power & Cooling is currently OCZ both are recommended, other recommended brands Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, XFX to name few.

stant1rm

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
OCZ bought PC Power & Cooling? Interesting. Seasonic, XFX and Antec are all great brands,

I have used OCZ, Corsair, Antec, and Seasonic PSU's as well as XFX video cards, and cart state that from personal experience they are great companies, with great products and good tech support should the worst happen.

capsandogs

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012
I think I will probably replace the PSU before the RMA comes back, just to be sure. Thanks a lot. Wish I could select best answer now but no way to tell. If this is still open when I get my RMA back, I'll update and select.

Oh and Rolli, good idea to check voltages, but I'm a noob and have no voltmeter. Although I'm sure my bro does so I'll see if I can borrow it.