Solution
8gb of ram is plenty if its for gaming and most other stuff

if its for gaming thats a pretty poor graphics card

and i would get the 3570k its only a little dearer than the non k version

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I hope your aware that that i5 is a non-K edition chip, so you can't overclock it.
If you already know that, then as far as the processor is concerned, its good. Haven't bother to open all the other links though, coz i'm lazy :D

Might be helpful to get some suggestions if you list out the names of the actual parts used, and their price, rather than posting links here :)

sDutchey

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Hi

I'm pretty sure this PC is meant for gaming but if I was you I should change a couple of things.

You graphics card is waaaaay to bad. I'd rather go for a GTX 670 if you have the money for it, but I'll recommend a 560 Ti or a 660 or something.
If you wanna overclock you should go with the i5 3570K.
Motherboard is fine, PSU is fine, hard drive is fine.
I would change your memory to a 8GB (2x4) 1600MHz, because you don't really need more unless you're gonna do some heavy gaming or video editing.
The last thing I would probably change is the case to one of the Cooler Master HAF series, but that's just personal preferences.

~sDutchey

exfulma

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
ok so i have updated the cpu to a 3570k like you all said and as a better graphics card would a Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 GC 2GB be alright the gtx 670 is a bit to overpriced

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

It's worth noting that you won't be able to overclock on a b75 motherboard. And if you're not going to overclock, then a K processor is pointless. Also, if you're going to overclock an Ivy Bridge processor, then you need an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Personally, I think that if this is your first time build, and if you aren't the type of person who enjoys tweaking system settings, then you should probably avoid overclocking. Some people do genuinely enjoy overclocking, and there are performance benefits, but the benefits aren't so massive that you should feel obligated to overclock.

In this case, overclocking represents a non-trivial extra expense -- an upgrade of your motherboard chipset (from b75 to z77), an upgrade in the processor itself ('K'), and an extra $35+ component (aftermarket heatsink). You can build a spectacular computer system for $1100 (provided you already have a monitor/keyboard/etc), with or without overclocking the processor -- but if you do buy the option to overclock, then you'd best use it, because otherwise you're just wasting money that could be invested elsewhere.

For a non-overclocking, $1100 gaming system, I might do something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M/CSM Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($78.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.78 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($237.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($78.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1089.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-27 13:51 EST-0500)

Notes:

1. The build does not include an operating system. If you need an operating system, then you'll have to free up ~$90 for Windows Home Premium OEM (64-bit).

2. If you want to improve pure compute/game performance at the expense of general responsiveness, then you could easily drop the SSD in favor of a Core i7 and/or an HD 7970 graphics card. The qualitative benefits of an SSD (even in game loading screens) outweigh the benefits of the better CPU/GPU though, IMO. If you have a business-related reason to prefer a better processor, then you might be able to wedge an i7 into the build by cutting corners elsewhere.

3. Likewise, if you're dead-set on 16GB of RAM, you need to shave ~$40 from the rest of the build.

Status
Not open for further replies.