Sign in with
Your question

Overheating without Solution

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 27, 2013 10:52:34 AM

What's up folks? I've been having a uncommon overheating problem for the last few months and it's driving me insane. I searched on the internet and at the Forum here, but not one similar problem. So, i thought that someone here could help me. Lets begin:

My basic specifications are:

CPU: Core i7-2630.QM
GPU: GeForce GT 540M 2gB
RAB: 1x 2gB DDR3 + 1x 4gB DDR3 (6gB)

I rarely used to play games on it, so i can't really tell how old this problem is, but the computer has about 18 months now. The problem is simple: it is madly overheating on the past few months. It all started when i installed Skyrim on my computer. My computer automatically detected the video settings to maximum and i had no trouble playing it at all. Than, one day, after almost 2 weeks playing the game, it begun to happen: that horrible screenfreeze with a very very annoying sound buzz. Trapped in that forever! There was no solution to that but to manually turn the PC off and on again.

At first, i saw no problem at all. Tought it was from the game itself and kept playing it for a few weeks. Once it was over, i started to play another games and begun to experiment the same situations on them, i tried Borderlands, Mass Effect 2 and Mirror's Edge, but in all them the problem kept on. I started to look out for solutions and found out that my computer was maybe overheating. I than installed SpeedFan to know my exact temperatures. I found out that with an idle computer my CPU and GPU were at 50°C. While playing a game i got over 80°C ~ 85°C on a few minutes, and than took like 50 to 60 minutes to raise up till 95°C.

My games were not simply crashing and freezing, i also got like fifteen BSOD's (Blue Screen of Death), so i was really worried. I than installed CPU ID Hardware Monitor since it is better than SpeedFan. More precise and give more information (like the max, min and actual temperatures and voltages).

The first solution that came to me was cleaning the computer. Maybe dust was clogging my vents. Since i had no canned air, i opened and cleaned it manually. I'm sure i made no mistakes since i'm experient on disassembling and assembling computers. I cleaned the vents with a soft-non-static brush, also cleaned my fan with some cotton. When i finished my computer was only 2°C cooler. So it wasn't that the problem at all.

The second solution that came to me was checking the fan. Maybe it was not working properly anymore. So i tested it a lot. With gaming, videos and everything i could. It is working properly. But when i'm gaming, it seems to always run at full speed. The only clue i had with this was that my computer was hot, and i already knew that.

The third solution came to me when i had another BSOD. After reading some posts here at the forum, i thought that maybe i had a driver issue. So i begun to reinstall every single driver on my computer, and tested a LOT of versions for each one. I installed the three last versions of my GPU's driver, also the three last versions of my sound drivers. Also tried to update my serial-ATA drivers, USB drivers, and even updated the BIOS. Twice. It is important to say that after EACH update, i tested and the overheating continues. At the end of that, i had my computer all updated, but still hot like a frying pan.

The fourth solution was given to me by a member of the Forum. I was about to destroy my computer when i read about memtest86+ and testing my RAM. So, i didn't had much luck with memtest86+, but he said that i could use Windows Memory Diagnostic. So i did. More than once. And no problem was detected at all.

The fifth solution had already crossed my mind. But to replace the thermal compuond wasn't like the first option, so i put it aside for a while. I read here on the Forum that a guy was with a similar overhating problem, and when he formatted the computer, it was alright. Maybe because there was a virus i don't know. So i done it. Twice. After i fully-installed the drivers and everything else i tested again. My temperatures was still the same. Both during gameplay and idle situations.

The sixth solution seemed obvious, but since it's not like a "first option" i waited unti all the "software" solutions don't work until i would do this one. I bought bran-new thermal paste. Opened my computer, took the heatsink and i saw that both my GPU and CPU were dry. The thermal paste seemed to be dry for months. I cleaned both very carefully and when they were shining again i applied the new thermal paste. Since i had no experience on that, i looked a few tutorials first. I applied just a little bit and scaterred very well. After that, i reassembled my computer and when turn it on... Surprise! It got even hotter! My idle temperatures jumped from 50°C to 57°C~62°C and the gaming temperature that took like 1 hour to reach 95°C was now reaching it in less than 5 minutes! Awesome right? I thought that maybe i had applied too little thermal compound. So i opened it again, cleaned again and done it again, with a little more paste this time. Nothing that would isolate instead of helping. And when i turned my computer on... nothing. Just kept with this awesomely high temperatures.

In compensation my computer now is not only freezing and buzzing, but also, restarting sometimes.
This is it. I have no other clue to the next solution... i'm hopeless now. And i can't seem to find any other solution. Also, i'm getting bored cause i can't play. Don't want to put my computer on risk. Even more.

So, i will calmly ask: PLEASE, HELP MEEE... (my voice fades out like i'm falling into a well).

More about : overheating solution

a b à CPUs
January 27, 2013 3:18:39 PM

Check all your BIOS settings to see if they are correct for your CPU, you may have accidentally overclocked it. Allso check the BIOS for correct cpu fan operation.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2013 4:17:49 PM

What CPU fan are you using and what happens to the fan RPM under load (IE @ what temp does it max out)?
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2013 7:35:17 PM

So....please don't take this the wrong way, but If there is a smoker in the house, you may need to take your notebook in to have it cleaned. Nicotine oils build up on the inside of you PC and prevent it from cooling efficiently. The only way to fix this is to disassemble the cooling system and clean it. I fix about 6 laptops a month from this issue.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2013 8:13:05 PM

It also sounds like you may have put too little of the thermal paste on. You certainly should not have seen higher temps at least not by more than 2-3 degrees.
m
l
January 27, 2013 11:20:44 PM

I have been thinking about this issue for a few hours now. I have a theory that may explain the issue.

The Thermal Heat pipe may have failed.

For the Uninitiated a Heat pipe is a sealed system with a cooling compound that efficiently transfers heat energy away from the heat source. But since this is a liquid, there is a remote possibility that the device may be damaged and the fluid may have leaked out or evaporated.

Solution, Replace the heat pipe.

Also, the amount of thermal compound necessary to work effectively is extremely small, however there exist thermal compound preperation and cleaning kits that are really cheap and work exceedingly well.

Does the GPU have its own cooling system, or is it connected to the same thermal coupler as the CPU?

If you can please provide the Make Model and Serial Number of the PC. I'll do some digging around for possible solutions.

:sol: 
m
l
January 28, 2013 10:38:40 AM

Well, well, well... this has been challenging. But i seemed to have made a progress, check it out:

Quote:
What CPU fan are you using and what happens to the fan RPM under load (IE @ what temp does it max out)?

Well, i can't seem to find out what CPU fan i'm using, since it doesn't appear on SpeedFan (as it should). I also checked the speeds and the result is simple: the hotter, the faster. When my CPU is idle, my fan is slow, and when it is under load, then it is at its full speed. SpeedFan doesn't seem to help me more as it doesn't tell my fan model neither the RPM. But it all seems to be alright.

___

Quote:
So....please don't take this the wrong way, but If there is a smoker in the house, you may need to take your notebook in to have it cleaned. Nicotine oils build up on the inside of you PC and prevent it from cooling efficiently. The only way to fix this is to disassemble the cooling system and clean it. I fix about 6 laptops a month from this issue.

Actually, i don't believe that my computer has ever been in contact to any kind of smoke, gases, or nuclear weapons. So, there is actually no problem on this side.

___

Quote:
It also sounds like you may have put too little of the thermal paste on. You certainly should not have seen higher temps at least not by more than 2-3 degrees.

I changed the thermal paste twice, so i'm pretty sure i did it right. No problem here neither.

___

But it was this one that caught my attention:

Quote:
Check all your BIOS settings to see if they are correct for your CPU, you may have accidentally overclocked it. Allso check the BIOS for correct cpu fan operation.

Well, you see, after i read that i turned the computer off and checked my BIOS settings. I happens that i couldn't find anything about my fan on the BIOS. But, when i came to see my CPU settings i saw that the frequency limit for my processor was at 2.00 GHz. I looked out my model on the internet and found out that is limit is in fact 2.00GHz. So there is no overclocking, right?

WRONG

I installed CPUID CPU-Z just to be sure of what i found out. I saw that my cores are not running at 2.00Ghz but it was nearly 2.9GHz! And i was all like: "Who the hell told you to overclock!? Get back to normal right now!". Well, i screamed with my computer to no avail, as my BIOS doesn't show any overclock settings and there is no "booster" program installed to do so. Also, there are no viruses on my computer since i formatted it (and before formatting i checked with Avast!).

So the real problem here as a involuntary overclocking.
Any of you guys know how to solve this? I mean, i've been monitoring my temperatures for over a week now. Every second. Now i'm also going to monitor my CPU settings with CPU-Z.

Does anybody have a clue?
m
l
January 28, 2013 11:49:53 AM

Check all your BIOS settings to see if they are correct for your CPU
m
l
January 29, 2013 11:34:37 AM

I already did so.
I is all correct.

My problem really is weird, i told that there was no solution at all. But it seems that i have already find a solution. I found out that Dell has a power management plan that may improve my computer performance automatically.

It happens that after looking a little bit for it, using CPU-Z i found out that there was an overclocking going on. But since my BIOS was correctly set, i couldn't do much. It appears that my computers was automatically set for the Super High Performance plan, that inducted an overclocking without my "autorization". The real problem was that since the plan was activated only AFTER my computer turned on, it was impossible to detect the overclocking setting on the BIOS.

I tested just simply changing my power plan and than, my frequency jumped from almost 2.9 GHz to 0.8 GHz. So i was finally over, my computer was back on, no so hot as before. Itested it with Mass Effect 2 and Mirror's Edge and it worked very well. There was no screenfreeze, no sound buzz loop and it's been a quite good time since i've seen my last BSOD. My temperatures that where near 55°C on idle mode gone to 45°C, and the higher, that was when i was gamming, that was nearly 95°C, was now from 65°C to 70°C.

HOWEVER...

I wanted to try once more. Some games pushed my processor really hard and my temperature was over 85°C. But, since this is not enough to cause overheat (it seems that the dangerous temperatures for my CPU are above 92°C) i wasn't really worried.

UNTIL...

I was testing the CPU temperature with Borderlands 2. My GPU automatically detect the highest settings for the game. My core temperature was almost 85°C and there was no problem, right?

WRONG!

After some time playing the game the game came with a screenfreeze and that terrifying sound, that... buzzing sound. I couldn't believe, my computer was hot but it wasn't an overheat.

WHAT DO I DO NOW? I CAN'T STAND THAT...
m
l
September 18, 2013 4:18:39 AM

Ok before I go into any explanation or detail on what could help, and im not trying to be a Dick here, but dude it has a 540m video card you don't need to be running.games maxed out. It's a laptop anyway so the screen is more than likely 14-17". Reduce the settings. Many games that have auto detect work solely off of a cpu read and how much ram and cram you have and they don't typically factor in that it's a laptop. I fried a couple $2000 xps laptops over the years playing games on max settings. You will eventually kill the video card and then you'll have a nice doorstop. Reduce your settings to medium, turn off aa and reduce field of vision and see how it runs. Even a desktop with those specs shouldn't be playing skyrim maxed lol. You have to realize, if you haven't I only skimmed the pages of stuff up here, that all thermal compounds are not created equal. If you have not get arctic sliver and apply to the cpu and gpu and see what that does. I have seen computers drop like 10 degrees C just from swapping from the factory paste. Either that or accept the fact that laptop gaming isn't the way to go unless you want to spend hordes of money, upgrade often And always deal with issues.
m
l
!