Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrade for my rig

Last response: in Systems
September 13, 2012 7:04:38 AM

Hi guys...
was hoping for some help...
I have a rig that i have built myself about a year back and it comprises the following:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE 6-core (3.2-3.6GHz)
MSI 990FXA-GD65 Mobo
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair XMS3 1600MHz RAM
Seagate Barracuda 5400 rpm 500GB + 1TB
Cooler Master CM Elite 310 case
Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W
Corsair H80 Liquid Cooler
Sapphire HD6790 with 1GB GDDR5 256-bit memory interface

I want to upgrade this rig...

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, Mobo, Graphics Card, SSD if possible

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: N.A. (I buy from shops after roaming around for a bit)

Location: City, State/Region, Country - Kolkata, West Bengal, India

Parts Preferences: AMD or Intel (If Intel i would prefer i7 ivy bridge, wouldnt mind the Xeons either). nVIDIA or Intel

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire:Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1366 x 768 (AOC 16"), Ill be upgrading to a 21" full HD TFT later, so i would like a card that can handle that res...

Additional Comments: AutoCAD, Matlab, ANSYS, getting ready for high-ended games like Crysis 3, Deadspace 3, Black Ops 2 and the like (future proofing)

Why am I Upgrading: The Phenom II X6 is almost 2 generations old.... so I want to sell it and get a newer gen proc that can handle my workload for the next 2 years. The GC is primarily meant for games. Unless I sell these parts now, i will not get a price for them later :D  ...

Any help would be highly appreciated...

More about : upgrade rig

September 13, 2012 7:17:30 PM

The one thing you haven't mentioned is any budget, for your upgrade. Also whilst I understand you wish to buy in "local shops", if you suggest a good online provider, that is available, to you, it makes it easier to judge which components are competative, in India, and also likely to be easily available, and an idea of prices, in "local shops"
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2012 7:28:59 PM

Well without a budget, I would consider:
* Intel i5 3570k CPU (unlocked multiplier so you can OC easier, if you desire)
* AsRock Extreme 4 z77 Mobo or equivalent
* AMD 7850/7870/7950 GPU if you can afford it
* I'd also consider upgrading your PSU to Corsair/Seasonic/PCP&C/Antec branded PSU's in the 450w or better, depending on the GPU you select.
* Corsair M4 based SSD of about 256 gb's if it was up to me, but that usually runs about $180-200 on sale here in the U.S.
* I'd also consider upgrading your case if you can afford to. You could get one with front USB 3.0 ports to match up with the z77 based mobo's.
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2012 3:43:35 AM

Thnx for the advice...
m
l
September 14, 2012 3:47:16 AM

The best online provider for us is Flipkart...
but I get it for about $20 cheaper from the shop I buy - M D Computers....
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 14, 2012 4:26:50 AM

What is your budget for your upgrade??

You know your system is pretty good and all that you would really need is a GPU, PSU, and 7200 rpm HD upgrade if you want to save some $. I'd go with what I suggested above for the GPU (unless you prefer nVidia) and make sure you buy a quality PSU from a known good company (like the ones I suggested above). Your current HD is slow my today's standards (5400 rpm), so upgrading to a 7200 rpm HD would help out things a bit and not cost too much.
m
l
September 14, 2012 5:03:01 AM

You read my mind....

I thought over the entire episode... and came to the following conclusion....
My AMD is damn good for now and atleast for the next 2 years...
The FX Processors are not a radical improvement on the Thubans' so ill skip it and see what the upcoming Piledriver has to offer...
My motherboard is ready for the newer FX bcoz of the 990FXA series chipset, so no question of changing that...
My graphics is getting a little outdated, so ill want to upgrade that...
Just wanted to have an opinion on whether i should go for a 7000 series or a 560Ti or a 600 series...
Whatever it is it has to be budget, bcoz I reduced my budget to abt $200.
I have a lot of HDDs - all 5400rpm though - 500GB & 1TB internal Seagate Barracuda, Seagate 1TB external & a WD 120GB external, but I am still running out of space :kaola: 
So for now, i am thinking abt another 2TB external, before i upgrade my PSU and HDDs, after say 6 months....

It would be highly appreciated if you could tell me which graphics card to buy in the budget mentioned.
Thanks from the beginning....
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 14, 2012 11:24:44 PM

Well the problem is that your 6790 is still a decent GPU for the $. You would probably have to spend about >$200 to see a significant increase in FPS.
Here is part of Tom's GPU chart for Battlefield 3. You can decide if the 560 Ti is enough of any upgrade, but honestly I don't think it is.
If you do upgrade your GPU, then I would highly suggest upgrading your PSU too. I don't recommend most PSU's from Cooler Master, since they had a shaky past with build quality, so that is why I'd recommend a different PSU.
m
l
September 15, 2012 3:53:49 AM

Thnx.... Ill keep it in mind....
What do u think of Seasonic or Corsair PSUs, These are the only two companies whose products are available near my home.
What do u think is the power draw of an AOC 16" monitor? The reason why I am asking this is bcoz I have a APC BR1100 UPS capable of generating 660W. It runs 3 things on battery - my monitor, my cpu and a small DLINK 5-port network hub. The hub draws around 1-1.5W, So i need to know the draw of my monitor, this would not only allow me to change my PSU but upgrade to a higher rating, say 600-650W, depending, along with my GC.
Another question that I want to ask is BF3 is a good game with Awesome graphics, but the fact is that I want to be ready for Crysis 3. The frostbite 2 engine is awesome, but for some reason, i feel the Cryengine 3 is better. And from the looks of the trailers of Crysis 3, I think the episode of 'high-end-machines-not-being-able-to-run-Crysis' is going to repeat. I just wanted a card on a budget that can give me a decent framerate of say 35-40fps on 1366 x 768 res of my 16" with Crysis 3. Just wanted your opinion. (P.S. - I am not starting a Cryengine 3 vs. Frostbite 2 debate).

I also had a look over the GPU stats at the CPU benchmark site. The score is higher than a 7750, but way less than a 560Ti. I feel the 7750 is overpriced with respect to its performance quotient, which leaves the 560Ti, its a damn good card, but nearing the end of life... If I go for a 600 series, then I have to take anything less than a 650, which means that ill lose the advantage of having a 256-bit memory buffer that I have in my current GPU (One of the reasons for such a great performance) and a 7850 and above series is beyond my capacity. (I just havent been able to accumulate enough scratch).

I am really confused....
Any help...
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 15, 2012 4:04:12 AM

Not sure which AOC Screen you exactly have, but I found this:
Power Consumption: Power On: <12W (Typical), Standby: <1W
Here is the link.

The Seasonic or Corsair PSU's would be fine. Seasonic is better, but Corsair is pretty good (I'm not real thrilled with the latest CX Builder Series of PSU's, but they should okay too).

I believe that your card should be fine. The 7850 or higher is probably the only option to get more GPU power out for the $ than what you currently have. I would probably consider upgrading the PSU now and then when you have more $, upgrade the GPU with the latest tech for the budget you have.
September 15, 2012 4:21:23 AM

Best answer selected by mainakbasu.
m
l
September 15, 2012 4:23:28 AM

Thnx, that one load off my back....
I checked the stats...
I have a AOC 16" 1619SW widescreen monitor.
It draws 28watts operational, and 1Watt in sleep mode..
So ill think of upgrading my PSU nw to probably a Corsair CX600, and be ready for my next GPU upgrade.
Thnx for helping me out...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 15, 2012 5:59:18 AM

Hi Mainak, firstly, nice rig [:lutfij:3]

Doesn't look like you need to upgrade at all as of now as you rightly pointed out, but if you're really willing to drop a little bit of cash on it atm, getting an SSD is prolly the way to go IMO.

Generally I'm far from an SSD evangelist, but in your case, getting a 7200 RPM 1 or 2 TB drive depending on your requirement (for your storage needs) and a 128/256 GB SSD drive to supplement is something your can look at :) 

BTW, শারদীয়ার আগাম শুভেচ্ছা নিও :D 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 15, 2012 8:22:45 AM

mainakbasu said:
Thnx, that one load off my back....
I checked the stats...
I have a AOC 16" 1619SW widescreen monitor.
It draws 28watts operational, and 1Watt in sleep mode..
So ill think of upgrading my PSU nw to probably a Corsair CX600, and be ready for my next GPU upgrade.
Thnx for helping me out...

No problem at all. Hope it all works out for you.
m
l
September 16, 2012 4:50:21 AM

calguyhunk said:
Hi Mainak, firstly, nice rig [:lutfij:3]

Doesn't look like you need to upgrade at all as of now as you rightly pointed out, but if you're really willing to drop a little bit of cash on it atm, getting an SSD is prolly the way to go IMO.

Generally I'm far from an SSD evangelist, but in your case, getting a 7200 RPM 1 or 2 TB drive depending on your requirement (for your storage needs) and a 128/256 GB SSD drive to supplement is something your can look at :) 

BTW, শারদীয়ার আগাম শুভেচ্ছা নিও :D 

Thanks....
I do hope u know about M D Computers...
Thats from where I buy my stuff.
Problem is, I just dont have enough cash for an SSD right now.. but yeah it is on my upgrade....
yes a 7200 rpm 1 or 2TB is what is on my upgrade list right now. Better if it is external.

This is the third rig that I built, my last was a P4 which is still running without a hitch even after 6 years. I didnt even reinstall WinXP on it even once. But as u can understand, it is not only outdated, but PREHISTORIC....
I built this rig with a few things in mind - upgradability, budget and performance. And it is a beast, to tell u the truth, that GC and Proc together crunches out my simulations in a matter of mere hours, what takes my Lab computers (Core 2 Duo's) almost three days. And I am telling you, those six cores are worth every cent I spent behind them. :love:  And I just love the mobo - it gives me transfer rates of upto 50Mbps to USB3.0 drives, and stability is off the chart.

One new info - I overclocked the proc - first time yesterday and got 4.2GHz and running stable :pt1cable:  Hell even after 1 year of continious operation, it still boots within 15 seconds.

শারদীয়ার আগাম শুভেচ্ছা নিও and will let u know, what i upgraded.....
m
l
September 16, 2012 5:47:40 AM

Sorry to disturb u again guys....

but just wanted ur opinion...
I am not buying another HDD, but I'll buy a SSD...
I picked out a few models...
wanted ur opinions...

OCZ RevoDrive 1TB Hybrid Solid State Drive PCI-Express 2.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $299.99
OCZ RevoDrive X2 PCI-E 220GB 4 x PCI Express MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $219.99
Corsair SSD Force 3 Series 120GB - $108.56
Corsair SSD Force GT series 90GB - $116.73

The revodrives are known to have several issues, so i wanted ur opinion....

Thnx from the beginning...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 16, 2012 12:56:12 PM

Personally I would go for the 120 gb one, since it'll format to about 111 gb's before the OS installation. Windows 7 Ultimate with Service Pack 1 and a few other things was about 30 gb's worth of space (just so you get an idea of space). Most SSD's run optimally around 50-80% of capacity. This would put your best operation around 50-80 gb's of space. It's up to you if, but if you want better gaming performance, you'll need to spend that extra $100-300 on the GPU. The SSD will make things snappier when your moving around and when you load up games and load sections of games. It will definitely will make things quicker (over your 5400 rpm drives).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2012 2:50:43 PM

mainakbasu said:
Thanks....
I do hope u know about M D Computers...

Yes, they have a lot of stores @ Chandni Chowk like MD, Supreme, Universal, Technocrat etc. Most of them overcharge a little, but to the best of my knowledge do give you genuine products, albeit illegally imported ones to save on customs duty etc. :p 

None of them pass on any of the savings to the customers though :( 

As for the SSD's you listed, the 120 GB Corsair Force 3 is a no-brainer. Especially if it's a SATA 6 GB/s model. You can then carry it over to the next rig that you might wanna build completely ground up in a couple of years' time :) 
m
l
!