Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can a VGA monitor affect gaming performance?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 25, 2012 7:15:21 PM

I currently have a VGA monitor which im currently using to play games at 1920 X1080,since my monitor only supports VGA,I have to use a DVI to VGA adapter in order to connect the monitor.Can this affect gaming performance or cause any lagging?Also in the near future im planning to buy a new monitor, the video card has DVI and HDMI ports, which one of these is better gaming?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 25, 2012 7:30:00 PM

If your monitor can only support VGA then it is very unlikely that your monitor will be able to support 1080p (HD) quality. What is your monitor's model?
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
July 25, 2012 7:44:09 PM

Depending upon the refresh rate of your CRT, you may be backing up with a new monitor.

Related resources
July 25, 2012 7:59:26 PM

Wisecracker said:
Depending upon the refresh rate of your CRT, you may be backing up with a new monitor.

Its an LCD monitor
July 25, 2012 7:59:46 PM

Gate9er said:
If your monitor can only support VGA then it is very unlikely that your monitor will be able to support 1080p (HD) quality. What is your monitor's model?

Its an LG E2240S
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 8:04:54 PM

Your monitor is fine. And VGA usually has a max Resolution of 2560 x 1600 so you'll be fine at 1920x1080. There will not be any lag, the only difference is that you may get interference on low quality VGA cables ( I haven't seen this in years though).

Have fun
Fungi

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 8:08:03 PM

The port you use doesn't make a bit of difference. It can affect picture quality to some degree, but it's likely you won't notice.

If you get a new monitor, I'd go for DVI if I had to choose (not really any solid reason for that though), but the more the merrier, never hurts to have extra input options for future GPUs, so getting one with HDMI as well if you can is better yet.
One notable difference between them though is that HDMI is required to transmit blueray video, so if you want to watch bluerays you'd want HDMI (or the ability to remove the ridiculous protection that these videos have natively).
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 8:13:51 PM

Some of the older LCD monitors have higher response times, which is why a lot of professional gamers have used CRT monitors until the past couple years. So yes, your monitor may have a negative impact on gaming performance, but it's incredibly minimal. The type of port you are using shouldn't have an impact though.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
July 25, 2012 8:16:15 PM

The LG monitor you already have is fine. It is a 1920x1080 22" LED. While it may only offer D-sub connection - no problems. Enjoy!

I do have my TV`s on HDMI, mainly for convience, as these cables transfer A/V. I recently upgraded my gaming PC with a newer, bigger LED. Noticed the new monitor had Display Port connection, I went and bought a DP cable - uhh...no difference from DVI or VGA for that matter. The DP cable saved couple seconds while connecting with it`s new click lock retainer, but seems same gfx to me.

So, use the LG with no worries of any signal loss. Upgrade when you want bigger monitor or something but not for connections
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
July 25, 2012 8:18:07 PM

Your LCD is a TN panel with a *D-Sub* ('blue') connection. The response time is not that bad, nor is the pixel pitch. Contrast ratio is probably in the average range for similar models.

The use of the d-sub converter/adapter should not effect your frame rate, and from your stand point, there would be no difference between HDMI/DVI. I simply pick the one closet to the motherboard mounting (and don't really have a good explanation as to why -- just always done it that way).

In the 'old days' it was typically the first connector initialized.

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 25, 2012 8:34:28 PM

Well as I can see your monitor is indeed 1080p ! Well vga is simply analogue while hdmi is digital. I would suggest to go with hdmi simply because I always like to keep up with technology and hdmi is for sure one of the latest :D 
Theoretically though, Digital video (DVI/HDMI) is better than analog (VGA), but in real life the human eye sees no difference.

For more info read through this article:
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5786244_hdmi-vs_-vga.html

Hope this helps!
July 27, 2012 7:28:22 PM

Best answer selected by mrkool123.
!