Lars

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

A registry cleaner (RegSeekerXP) found some keys in my registry in
which there was no programs named.

For example:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{198EB59B-ADE2-AD71-B0DB-80095435168C}
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{C42E48F7-2205-4399-B05C-B3E194F57D67}

Is it safe to delete these keys?

Does it make a difference to performance if the keys are left in the
registry?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

There are many hundreds of registry key placed in the registry that make
sense only to the program that put them there. If you can not positively ID
the key - leave it be.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you think you know,

"Lars" <nomail.thank.you@mail.com> wrote in message
>A registry cleaner (RegSeekerXP) found some keys in my registry in
> which there was no programs named.
>
> For example:
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{198EB59B-ADE2-AD71-B0DB-80095435168C}
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{C42E48F7-2205-4399-B05C-B3E194F57D67}
>
> Is it safe to delete these keys?
>
> Does it make a difference to performance if the keys are left in the
> registry?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

As to performance - No it makes no difference. Is it Safe - no
way to say for sure. That would depend on whether the module
that the Class Identifier references will never be used again. It's
a misconception to look at the Registry as being Clean or Dirty.
Removing Registry keys may break things that won't be readily
apparent. You might remove keys today that break something
you'll not discover until days or weeks from now.

Lars wrote:
> A registry cleaner (RegSeekerXP) found some keys in my registry in
> which there was no programs named.
>
> For example:
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{198EB59B-ADE2-AD71-B0DB-80095435168C}
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{C42E48F7-2205-4399-B05C-B3E194F57D67}
>
> Is it safe to delete these keys?
>
> Does it make a difference to performance if the keys are left in the
> registry?

Another example of something I stated in an earlier post...
People who would not just start going through the registry (and understand
what they are looking at) should also never use a Registry Cleaner
applications. The results can be disasterous.

If you don't know what they are - you should likely leave them be.

I have no idea what those keys are and if there is no additional clues
inside them you can give - then you are better off leaving them alone.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

In news:96AB8E38B1BD651D7E@204.153.244.156,
Lars <nomail.thank.you@mail.com> typed:

> A registry cleaner (RegSeekerXP) found some keys in my registry
> in
> which there was no programs named.
>
> For example:
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{198EB59B-ADE2-AD71-B0DB-80095435168C}
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{C42E48F7-2205-4399-B05C-B3E194F57D67}
>
> Is it safe to delete these keys?
>
> Does it make a difference to performance if the keys are left
> in the
> registry?

Several points:

1. No, deleting these (or any other) registry keys will make no
discernable difference in performance.

2. *Never* delete any registy key unless you know exactly what it
is and what it's for.

3. Do not use registry cleaners. The things they clean generally
don't need to be cleaned.
There's no real disadvantage to having unused registry entries.
And they sometimes erroneously remove registry entries that are
needed. Registry cleaners are not needed and are far more likely
to cause a problem than to solve one.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake wrote:
> 1. No, deleting these (or any other) registry keys will make no
> discernable difference in performance.

I disagree with "(or any other)"..

For example:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
Management\ClearPageFileAtShutdown
If existing and set to (1) can cause a shutdown/startup performance issue.

Deleting this key would improve the performance of the machine - a
noticeable one in many cases - decreasing the shutdown times many times
over.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

In news:ubguBk2mFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Shenan Stanley <newshelper@gmail.com> typed:

> Ken Blake wrote:
>> 1. No, deleting these (or any other) registry keys will make
>> no
>> discernable difference in performance.
>
> I disagree with "(or any other)"..
>
> For example:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
> Manager\Memory Management\ClearPageFileAtShutdown
> If existing and set to (1) can cause a shutdown/startup
> performance
> issue.
> Deleting this key would improve the performance of the
> machine - a
> noticeable one in many cases - decreasing the shutdown times
> many
> times over.

OK, thanks. I'll amend my statement to "almost any other."

Please reply to the newsgroup

Lars <nomail.thank.you@mail.com> wrote:

[X-Posting w/o F'up2 trimmed]

> A registry cleaner (RegSeekerXP) found some keys in my registry in
> which there was no programs named.

Using Registry Cleaners under WinXP doesn't make sense.

> For example:
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{198EB59B-ADE2-AD71-B0DB-80095435168C}
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{C42E48F7-2205-4399-B05C-B3E194F57D67}
>
> Is it safe to delete these keys?

No.

> Does it make a difference to performance if the keys are left in the
> registry?

No.

--
d-d

Shenan Stanley <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote:

[X-Posting trimmed]

> Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> 1. No, deleting these (or any other) registry keys will make no
>> discernable difference in performance.
>
> I disagree with "(or any other)"..
>
> For example:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
> Manager\Memory Management\ClearPageFileAtShutdown
> If existing and set to (1) can cause a shutdown/startup performance
> issue.
>
> Deleting this key would improve the performance of the machine - a
> noticeable one in many cases - decreasing the shutdown times many times
> over.

Well, in this case (your example) the value of this entry is counter-
productive regarding the performance. Registry cleaners usually focus
on orphaned keys and entries and therefore, I agree with Ken. Removing
these or any other (orphaned) keys will make no discernable difference
in performance.

--
d-d

On Sun 07 Aug 2005 16:35:57, Ken Blake wrote:

> Several points:
>
> 1. No, deleting these (or any other) registry keys will make no
> discernable difference in performance.
>
> 2. *Never* delete any registy key unless you know exactly what
> it is and what it's for.
>
> 3. Do not use registry cleaners. The things they clean generally
> don't need to be cleaned.
> There's no real disadvantage to having unused registry entries.
> And they sometimes erroneously remove registry entries that are
> needed. Registry cleaners are not needed and are far more likely
> to cause a problem than to solve one.

The cleaning which the registry cleaner has already done has made
a marked and welcome improvement in both (a) stability of the
explorer shell from locking up, and (b) in WinXP response times.

I suspect there were all sorts of registry entries which were not
needed and which caused my system to go hunting for things which
did not exist and that way may have made my system sluggish and
less stable than it should have been.

The question now is if those empty CLSID keys above can be safely
and usefully removed.

Could whatever created them will re-create them when it needs
them?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Lars <nomail.thank.you@mail.com> wrote:

>The cleaning which the registry cleaner has already done has made
>a marked and welcome improvement in both (a) stability of the
>explorer shell from locking up, and (b) in WinXP response times.
>
>I suspect there were all sorts of registry entries which were not
>needed and which caused my system to go hunting for things which
>did not exist and that way may have made my system sluggish and
>less stable than it should have been.
>
>The question now is if those empty CLSID keys above can be safely
>and usefully removed.
>
>Could whatever created them will re-create them when it needs
>them?

Editing or cleaning the registry is something that should be
approached in the same way that porcupines make love - very very
carefully.

That being said, I have used RegSeeker myself on many occasions on
different machines and it has never caused a problem for me. Just
make sure that you have the backup option selected so that you have
put the deleted items back if things do go blooey.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"Lars" <nomail.thank.you@mail.com> wrote in message
>A registry cleaner (RegSeekerXP) found some keys in my registry in
> which there was no programs named.
>
> For example:
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{198EB59B-ADE2-AD71-B0DB-80095435168C}
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{C42E48F7-2205-4399-B05C-B3E194F57D67}
>
> Is it safe to delete these keys?
>
> Does it make a difference to performance if the keys are left in the
> registry?

Simply 'export' the keys to a file and run the machine for while. If you
experience no problems then the file can be deleted.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

This is great advice and one I've used for years. Just create a folder on
your desktop, or where ever it is convenient, and export the registry keys
to it. After running your computer for a few weeks without any problems you
can probably safely delete them. If your still not sure at that point then
keep them longer.

"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> "Lars" <nomail.thank.you@mail.com> wrote in message
>>A registry cleaner (RegSeekerXP) found some keys in my registry in
>> which there was no programs named.
>>
>> For example:
>> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{198EB59B-ADE2-AD71-B0DB-80095435168C}
>> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{C42E48F7-2205-4399-B05C-B3E194F57D67}
>>
>> Is it safe to delete these keys?
>>
>> Does it make a difference to performance if the keys are left in the
>> registry?
>
> Simply 'export' the keys to a file and run the machine for while. If you
> experience no problems then the file can be deleted.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Good advice, but I'm not sure if I would wait "a few weeks". It depends on the key in question, of course, but the registry is continuously being modified, and if you merge keys that are several weeks old, the results could be unpredictable. After exporting the keys, the OP could reboot, and make sure that Windows starts and runs properly. That should take a short while to discern.
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:u6uCHfCnFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> This is great advice and one I've used for years. Just create a folder on
> your desktop, or where ever it is convenient, and export the registry keys
> to it. After running your computer for a few weeks without any problems you
> can probably safely delete them. If your still not sure at that point then
> keep them longer.
>

> "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Lars" <nomail.thank.you@mail.com> wrote in message
> >>A registry cleaner (RegSeekerXP) found some keys in my registry in
> >> which there was no programs named.
> >>
> >> For example:
> >> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{198EB59B-ADE2-AD71-B0DB-80095435168C}
> >> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{C42E48F7-2205-4399-B05C-B3E194F57D67}
> >>
> >> Is it safe to delete these keys?
> >>
> >> Does it make a difference to performance if the keys are left in the
> >> registry?
> >
> > Simply 'export' the keys to a file and run the machine for while. If you
> > experience no problems then the file can be deleted.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

You make a good point Ted. Personally I keep them around for about 2 to 3
days but then I'm on my computer for 6-10 hours daily. It doesn't take me
long to figure out something's broke. For people that aren't on as much it
might take longer before they realize that some program is not working
because of a missing key. But then those are the exact people that probably
shouldn't be messing around in the registry to begin with. I use Registry
First Aid from RoseCity Software as my main registry cleaner.

Good advice, but I'm not sure if I would wait "a few weeks". It depends on
the key in question, of course, but the registry is continuously being
modified, and if you merge keys that are several weeks old, the results
could be unpredictable. After exporting the keys, the OP could reboot, and
make sure that Windows starts and runs properly. That should take a short
while to discern.
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> This is great advice and one I've used for years. Just create a folder on
> your desktop, or where ever it is convenient, and export the registry keys
> to it. After running your computer for a few weeks without any problems
> you
> can probably safely delete them. If your still not sure at that point
> then
> keep them longer.
>

> "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Lars" <nomail.thank.you@mail.com> wrote in message
> >>A registry cleaner (RegSeekerXP) found some keys in my registry in
> >> which there was no programs named.
> >>
> >> For example:
> >> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{198EB59B-ADE2-AD71-B0DB-80095435168C}
> >> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{C42E48F7-2205-4399-B05C-B3E194F57D67}
> >>
> >> Is it safe to delete these keys?
> >>
> >> Does it make a difference to performance if the keys are left in the
> >> registry?
> >
> > Simply 'export' the keys to a file and run the machine for while. If
> > you
> > experience no problems then the file can be deleted.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

You make a good point too.

Ted Zieglar