Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What is my bottleneck? Looking to upgrade my PC.

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 13, 2012 11:35:27 AM

If i was to upgrade a component to increase gaming performance what should it be? (RAM, Processor?)

Win 7 Home Premium SP1
i3 530
Asus P7H55-M Pro Mobo Micro ATX(ew!)
Kingston 2G Dual Chan PC310700 x2 (4G)
EVGA GTX560
Corsair TX650W PSU
64G Cruical M4 SSD + 500G SATA

My budget is 275$US. I'm temped just to get a new case, motherboard, processor and RAM but I really shouldn't spend the money.

More about : bottleneck upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2012 11:51:36 AM

Im pretty sure you don't need more performance as your PC is already pretty good.
But if you wan't it to get better than youshould buy a new graphics card and definetly a good case.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This is the best graphics card in your budget and it will double your performance.
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 12:03:42 PM

Agree w/ Kamen,

However, if you want to save a couple bucks maybe a 7850. They run cool and offer very good performance. Don't know what case you have ... might wanna check diminsions prior to puchase.

Good Luck
m
0
l
Related resources
September 13, 2012 12:59:00 PM

I have a 560 w/ a FX-4100. It has good gaming performance. I can run every game on Ultra with no Lag. It could be your CPU.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2012 2:01:38 PM

What monitor? Keyboard/mouse?

You could use a faster CPU depending on the games you play. Everything else looks alright.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2012 2:07:45 PM

Are you having trouble with any games now? What games? What resolution?

You can overclock your cpu, and your gpu is quite overclockable as well.
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 2:09:55 PM

Get 2x 4GB RAM and switch off page file, if you have not already
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 2:15:21 PM

Only thing I could see you upgrading is your graphic card with a nvida 660 when it comes out this month you should be able get much better FPS and turn on some eye candy with your new card.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2012 2:28:27 PM

While it depends on the games you play, your CPU looks like the weak link to me. Your GTX560 should be able to play most games on high settings, but your CPU will struggle on some titles, especially CPU-intense ones like MMOs and other online multiplayer games.

Your PSU is good. You have enough RAM. A GTX560 is about equal to a HD6870; both of them can play games on High; I have a weaker HD7770 and it does very well. I really think a CPU upgrade will be the best thing you can do. That will mean replacing your mobo as well. You can re-use the RAM, or get another kit if you want to leave the previous system mostly intact as a backup or to sell.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2012 3:09:31 PM

aggawk said:
Get 2x 4GB RAM and switch off page file, if you have not already

No, do NOT switch off the page file; some programs get bent out of shape if there isn't one. You can, however, restrict its size; chop it down to only 1GB.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2012 5:02:29 PM

Onus said:
While it depends on the games you play, your CPU looks like the weak link to me. Your GTX560 should be able to play most games on high settings, but your CPU will struggle on some titles, especially CPU-intense ones like MMOs and other online multiplayer games.

Your PSU is good. You have enough RAM. A GTX560 is about equal to a HD6870; both of them can play games on High; I have a weaker HD7770 and it does very well. I really think a CPU upgrade will be the best thing you can do. That will mean replacing your mobo as well. You can re-use the RAM, or get another kit if you want to leave the previous system mostly intact as a backup or to sell.


I agree, IF he plays MMO's or BF3 MP. Othewise that cpu will run any game just fine.
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 6:08:54 PM

Curiner said:
If i was to upgrade a component to increase gaming performance what should it be? (RAM, Processor?)

Win 7 Home Premium SP1
i3 530
Asus P7H55-M Pro Mobo Micro ATX(ew!)
Kingston 2G Dual Chan PC310700 x2 (4G)
EVGA GTX560
Corsair TX650W PSU
64G Cruical M4 SSD + 500G SATA

My budget is 275$US. I'm temped just to get a new case, motherboard, processor and RAM but I really shouldn't spend the money.



Updating is one thing but chasing a "bottleneck" is quite another. Every time you fix one bottleneck" you create another. BTW, if you find a case, CPU, MB & RAM capable of gaming for $275 let us all know.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2012 7:13:47 PM

ram1009 said:
Updating is one thing but chasing a "bottleneck" is quite another. Every time you fix one bottleneck" you create another. BTW, if you find a case, CPU, MB & RAM capable of gaming for $275 let us all know.


You really should read the post before replying. He's not looking for a gaming machine for $275. He already has a quite capable gaming machine. His question was what should he upgrade with his $275.
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 8:31:19 PM

geekapproved said:
You really should read the post before replying. He's not looking for a gaming machine for $275. He already has a quite capable gaming machine. His question was what should he upgrade with his $275.



I read the post. It looks to me like you, and others, made the same assumption I did. Why else would that system need upgrading? Go wag your finger in the mirror.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2012 8:37:21 PM

Quote:
BTW, if you find a case, CPU, MB & RAM capable of gaming for $275 let us all know.


That's the same assumption we made? You should go look up the word assumption.
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 8:40:33 PM

Honestly put that $275 away, into a CD or something to earn a little extra and save up for a full upgrade. Your system now is fine, no reason to dumb $275 into it as is for a new gpu or cpu.

You can get a good 1080p gaming machine for around $500 total. So like i said, save your $275 and wait for to get around 500 and by then prices should go down even more allowing you to get better components.

m
0
l
September 13, 2012 8:40:55 PM

Go grab a program called Fraps. You only need the free version. You need to see your framerate.

Raise the graphics quality a little bit at a time. Did the framerate get worse? no? it was your CPU. Yes it was your graphics card. Thats the easy way to do it. We can guess but we can't really tell for certain unless we're playing the games your playing with a very similar system.
m
0
l
September 13, 2012 10:41:09 PM

geekapproved said:
Quote:
BTW, if you find a case, CPU, MB & RAM capable of gaming for $275 let us all know.


That's the same assumption we made? You should go look up the word assumption.



My quoted comment is based on the assumption that the OP was wanting to upgrade a gaming computer.

Your words from a previous post:

Are you having trouble with any games now? What games? What resolution?

are based on the same assumption.

You're right about one thing; one of us needs a dictionary.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2012 10:50:37 PM

The OP leads off with "If i was to upgrade a component to increase gaming performance what should it be? (RAM, Processor?)," so that he wants to upgrade a gaming computer is not an "assumption," but the stated intent.
Spaceace1014 makes an excellent point though. You may add to it that if FRAPS notably slows the game down, that's another mark against the CPU.
m
0
l
September 14, 2012 2:14:24 AM

Onus said:
The OP leads off with "If i was to upgrade a component to increase gaming performance what should it be? (RAM, Processor?)," so that he wants to upgrade a gaming computer is not an "assumption," but the stated intent.
Spaceace1014 makes an excellent point though. You may add to it that if FRAPS notably slows the game down, that's another mark against the CPU.



Thank you for pointing that out. I confess I missed that word but it makes little difference because as I said, the OP's computer is already quite capable of anything except high end gaming. I wonder whose a$$ geekapproved has his head up now.
m
0
l
!