Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will GTX 660 release in time for Guild Wars 2?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 8:31:19 PM

Hello all,

I will be building a PC to solely play Guild Wars 2 when it releases on 28th August. The latest speculation seems to suggest that the GTX 660 should be released by mid August. Shall i wait until then or build right now with an 7870?

I would prefer to have the 660 as i have had a few bad lucks with ATIs in the past, but my past rigs mostly seem to have an ATI card due to their usually superior value.

How likely will the 660 be available before the 28th August?

Thank you all for your help and opinions. :) 
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 8:44:27 PM

I thought GW2 could be played with an on-board.. :whistle: 
nerd's game more than Skyrim..

(jk'n..)
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 8:46:50 PM

GMA 950... :o 
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 8:51:19 PM

at the most, the reference models at a possibility. I don't expect the aftermarket coolers till a bit later.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 8:54:56 PM

Thank you for the link Mousemonkey, i do hope it is comes true.

Urband Legend, yes GW2 seems to be an undemanding game graphically speaking, but i want to make sure i can run the game on its maximum settings and achieve +60fps at all time on 1080p.

I have a set budget that i would like to maximise in terms of graphical capacity. Which is why my best options are between the 660 or 7870. I just don't know whether the 660 will be available in time for GW2 release.
a c 194 U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 8:56:47 PM

I have participated in the last two Beta Weekend Events for GW2. In the last one, I used the two systems in my .sig. The 970BE+HD7870 definitely had better FPS than the i5-3570K+HD7770 (but in both cases I had settings cranked). That said, the game client is no doubt still far from its optimized state. I would be very surprised if this game is not playable on "good" settings with HD6670-class cards; not "UltraSuperMaxOhWOW!" but "good," enjoyable settings.
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 8:57:30 PM

Onus said:
I have participated in the last two Beta Weekend Events for GW2. In the last one, I used the two systems in my .sig. The 970BE+HD7870 definitely had better FPS than the i5-3570K+HD7770 (but in both cases I had settings cranked). That said, the game client is no doubt still far from its optimized state. I would be very surprised if this game is not playable on "good" settings with HD6670-class cards; not "UltraSuperMaxOhWOW!" but "good," enjoyable settings.

:lol: 
and speaking of the 'devil' I mentioned in my post right here...
at least I said good things about you..
:p  :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 8:57:38 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the link Mousemonkey, i do hope it is comes true.

Urband Legend, yes GW2 seems to be an undemanding game graphically speaking, but i want to make sure i can run the game on its maximum settings and achieve +60fps at all time on 1080p.

I have a set budget that i would like to maximise in terms of graphical capacity. Which is why my best options are between the 660 or 7870. I just don't know whether the 660 will be available in time for GW2 release.

I'm just having fun.
I have a mate on another thread and that has been all he has been talking about for months.

so joking aside, I hope you enjoy the game with the GTX 660 if it's to be so.
cheers..
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 8:58:34 PM

dudewitbow said:
at the most, the reference models at a possibility. I don't expect the aftermarket coolers till a bit later.


Approximately how long does it take for the aftermarket coolers to be available after the reference release usually?

Thanks.
July 25, 2012 9:08:31 PM

Even if the 660 is released in mid-august, getting one might be tricky because demand for the card will likely be high and it'll probably run out of stock very fast at most retailers.

And yes it's playable with on-board, I used an HD3000 for the beta and it worked (on low settings but still).

I'll probably buy either a 7870 or a 660 myself once benchmarks are out and both cards can be compared.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 9:14:22 PM

dalaran said:
Even if the 660 is released in mid-august, getting one might be tricky because demand for the card will likely be high and it'll probably run out of stock very fast at most retailers.

And yes it's playable with on-board, I used an HD3000 for the beta and it worked (on low settings but still).

I'll probably buy either a 7870 or a 660 myself once benchmarks are out and both cards can be compared.


Thanks for your thoughts. I think i may well have to opt for the 7870 then. I definately need this PC built before release of GW2. I just hate the thought of maybe missing out on the 660 if it turns out to be brilliant value card. Its my life-long mission to always get the most value out of my hard earned money. :D 
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 9:16:11 PM

have money ready on credit or debit card and have your finger on the F5 keyboard button on the release date of the GTX 660.
all seriousness, if you want one upon release you might even have to take some hours off work to make sure your set.
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 9:18:49 PM

Quote:
Approximately how long does it take for the aftermarket coolers to be available after the reference release usually?

Thanks.



Just as an example, the GTX 670 officially released on May 10th, 2012. The EVGA 670 model(02G-P4-2670-KR) wasn't released officially till May 21st, even so, the part availability was short do to extreme demand of the card, and this is the very basic 670 model, so the other models probably came out a bit later
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 9:33:01 PM

verbalizer said:
have money ready on credit or debit card and have your finger on the F5 keyboard button on the release date of the GTX 660.
all seriousness, if you want one upon release you might even have to take some hours off work to make sure your set.


I have already booked a week off work to play the hell out of this game (yes, i am that hyped for it!). My girlfriend doesn't even know! :na: 
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 9:34:22 PM

Quote:
I have already booked a week off work to play the hell out of this game (yes, i am that hyped for it!). My girlfriend doesn't even know! :na: 

:lol: 
I love the enthusiasm and craftiness..
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 9:36:56 PM

dudewitbow said:
Just as an example, the GTX 670 officially released on May 10th, 2012. The EVGA 670 model(02G-P4-2670-KR) wasn't released officially till May 21st, even so, the part availability was short do to extreme demand of the card, and this is the very basic 670 model, so the other models probably came out a bit later


I see, thank you for this information. I definately want a gpu in aftermarket cooling guise, as low noise is important to me. Seems like another point pushing me to opt for the 7870. Sounds like an aftermarket variants of the 660 will be past my deadline date. :cry: 
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 9:40:28 PM

there are other options and GW2 is not demanding.
still lots of GTX 570's and GTX 560Ti-448's out there as well on sale.
both those cards beat out the HD 7850 and run with the HD 7870.

I still run a GTX 580 and will so for a while longer.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 9:42:34 PM

Will the release of the reference 660 cause a price drop on the 7870s? If so then maybe i should wait until closer to late august before buying the parts? Or shall i just go for it now with the 7870?
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 9:44:00 PM

Quote:
Will the release of the reference 660 cause a price drop on the 7870s? If so then maybe i should wait until closer to late august before buying the parts? Or shall i just go for it now with the 7870?



I highly doubt an immediate price drop. the 7870, 7950 and 7970 already had a pretty sizable price drop(i mean being able to get a 7950 for 330$(albeit the msi is sold out right now) is a pretty big difference compared to what the 7950 was priced beforehand.
!