Sign in with
Your question

CPU temp advice

Last response: in CPUs
January 27, 2013 3:09:54 PM

Hi guys,

I recently got FX-8320 and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, doing a bit of a budget OC here.
So I managed to push it to 4 GHz on multiplier only, mobo is setting voltage by auto to 1.404V.
Using CPUID Hardware Monitor I get following temp reads:

CPU Temp / Core Temp (Package)
Idle: 45C / 28C
Normal load: 65C / 45C
Prime95 30 mins: 75C, did go upto 79C / 60C, did go upto 62C

I am really confused as to why Core temp is so much lower than normal CPU. AMD Overdrive is showing me core temp too which is very confusing. After running 30 min Prime95, 75C definitely looks more realistic on air than 60C, do you agree?

Anyway, my real question is, should I just stick with what I got or push further? In my opinion, this is as far as this rig is going to go without investing in some better cooling... I tried doing a bit of NB OC and pushing multiplier higher but the temp readings I was getting during Prime95 torture started venturing into 80+C domain which made me feel uncomfortable.

At this point I am kind of stuck... Perhaps worth trying to reduce voltage? Is that a viable option or should I just stick to what I got?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

More about : cpu temp advice

January 27, 2013 3:14:57 PM

Sorry, I don't seem to have the privilege to edit my message, it turned out to be a bit confusing because I tried to make a little temperature table.
CPU temp readings (idle/normal/torture):
42C / 65C / 75C (peaked at 79C)
Core temp readings (idle/normal/torture):
28C / 45 C / 62C
January 27, 2013 3:15:49 PM

Not even having too much knowledge of OC, it sounds like you've managed to get this far without reprehension. I would stop the overclocking here until you can intelligently understand the reasons for these readings. Until you can do that, I would urge you to stop overclocking. Especially if you are on a budget, there's little room for error.
Related resources
January 27, 2013 3:24:08 PM

Thanks. Just would like to point out that my BIOS shows numbers that correspond to "CPU temperature" reading so it looks trustworthy. I don't know why Core is so much lower but it looks dubious. Why can't they just have 1 temperature number? Anyway, enough of rant.
Does anybody happen to know if the voltage I get on auto setting looks OK? Should it be lower?
a c 134 à CPUs
January 27, 2013 3:27:17 PM

try lowering the voltage, if u want temps to go down, and play around with it,

theres more harm in overvolting a chip than undervolting it.

so lower ur voltage and than see if its stable and continue lowering it until it wont load, so ull know what voltage to feed ur cpu and boot at.

January 27, 2013 4:24:20 PM

iceclock said:
try lowering the voltage, if u want temps to go down, and play around with it,

theres more harm in overvolting a chip than undervolting it.

so lower ur voltage and than see if its stable and continue lowering it until it wont load, so ull know what voltage to feed ur cpu and boot at.

Awesome! I got it down to 1.3V. CPU temperature in Prime95 down to 65C. I don't think I am going to go further but this gave me confidence that this setup has plenty of potential so when I feel I need extra power I can invest in some cooling to get it running faster. Thanks!
a c 134 à CPUs
January 27, 2013 4:24:42 PM

excellent :)  anytime mang

January 28, 2013 1:50:29 PM

My Cpu does the same thing. Cpu temp is always higher than Core.
!