Sign in with
Your question

Bridging WRT54G Linksys to FIOS Actiontec router

Last response: in Networking
September 13, 2011 2:02:30 PM

I know there have been several threads dealing with this, but none of the solutions seem to work for me.

I have a Linksys WRT54G router that I would like to connect to my Actiontec router provided by Verizon FIOS. I have an ethernet cable running between the floors to connect them and would like to use both routers for their wireless capabilities and ethernet capabilities to utilize my FIOS services.

No matter what I try, my linksys router does not seem to be assigned an IP address from the Actiontec router using DHCP. I also tried logging into the Actiontec which does see the mac address for the linksys router (and also assigned a private IP address to the router that the linksys doesn't acknowledge) and tried assigning a static IP to the linksys (that didn't work either).

Does anyone have any ideas how to connect these two routers so I can use both wireless?

If at all possible, I would like the computers connected to the two routers to see each other (e.g., my desktop connected to the linksys upstairs can be seen by my PS3 connected to the actiontec downstairs to stream photos) so I understand they would need to be on the same subnet. If this is impossible, I can live without it, but would be nice.
September 16, 2011 1:09:37 AM

That didnt work. For some reason the linksys is not seeing its ip address even though the actiontec reports one assigned to the linksys router.
m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2011 6:49:40 PM

Hi - I have set up both a D-Link and a Netgear router to work this way with the Actiontec. At one point I had the connection going in to the WAN port of my secondary router and let that router also assign DHCP on a different subnet. To avoid any potential issues with double NAT, I recently changed the connection between the two devices to use LAN ports (not WAN), and I disabled DHCP on my secondary router, asigned a LAN IP to my router manually, and all devices connecting to my secondary router recevied DHCP assignments from the Actiontec.

Are you plugging in the LAN cable from the Actiontec router to the WAN port or a LAN port in the Linksys? Also, have you tried to manually assign the Linksys an IP in the range/subnet of the Actiontec?
m
l
September 21, 2011 1:09:30 PM

Bryan_K said:
Hi - I have set up both a D-Link and a Netgear router to work this way with the Actiontec. At one point I had the connection going in to the WAN port of my secondary router and let that router also assign DHCP on a different subnet. To avoid any potential issues with double NAT, I recently changed the connection between the two devices to use LAN ports (not WAN), and I disabled DHCP on my secondary router, asigned a LAN IP to my router manually, and all devices connecting to my secondary router recevied DHCP assignments from the Actiontec.

Are you plugging in the LAN cable from the Actiontec router to the WAN port or a LAN port in the Linksys? Also, have you tried to manually assign the Linksys an IP in the range/subnet of the Actiontec?

I tried to do that, but the actiontec would not allow me to assign an IP address manually to the linksys. It indicated there already was an IP address assigned to that MAC address. Presumably from when I tried before to have it assign via DHCP over the WAN connection before I switched to LAN. I tried releasing the IP address, and rebooting the actiontec, but it doesn't seem to want to purge the linksys MAC address from its memory and thinks it has assigned an IP already to it.

If I understand your suggestion, I would assign in the linksys router a manual IP address within the same subnet/range like 192.168.1.3 (actiontec would be 192.168.1.1). Then in the actiontec, I would find the linksys mac address and tell it to assign 192.168.1.3 to linksys. Both would be within the 255.255.255.0 subnet and the wired connection would be LAN to LAN between the two. And the linksys would have to be set to "router" and not "bridge" mode with its DHCP server service turned off. Is that right? Then anything connected to the linksys (whether over by ethernet or wireless) would be assigned IP address from the actiontec router.
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:52:29 AM

livngston said:
That didnt work. For some reason the linksys is not seeing its ip address even though the actiontec reports one assigned to the linksys router.

I'm just curious- I am trying to do the exact same set up, but it just will not work no matter what I try. Did you ever get it to work?
m
l
!