Which power protection is best for my new build?

L1ghtF00t

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
ok, so i've almost finished coming up with everything i will need for my new build. Now, i just need to know which surge suppressor is going to have a high enough watt output capacity and a high enough AC joule suppression for this PSU: Thermaltake 1500W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

and yes, this power supply is needed for what im building, i've already looked into it. Thanks for replying

L1ghtF00t

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

i said "power protection", not a power supply.

power protection = surge suppressor ( i need this to plug my PSU into)
power supply = PSU/UPS ( i already have this)

oh, but you're saying that if i use a UPS, then it won't matter if the power goes out because the UPS will keep the computer running long enough to shut it off safely. but i still would rather just use a surge suppressor (if the power goes out it goes out) but i still don't see what power going out has to do with a surge, even if the UPS keeps the rig's power on, the surge will still destroy my rig.

L1ghtF00t

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

i said "power protection", not a power supply.

power protection = surge suppressor ( i need this to plug my PSU into)
power supply = PSU/UPS ( i already have this)

oh, but you're saying that if i use a UPS, then it won't matter if the power goes out because the UPS will keep the computer running long enough to shut it off safely. but i still would rather just use a surge suppressor (if the power goes out it goes out) but i still don't see what power going out has to do with a surge, even if the UPS keeps the rig's power on, the surge will still destroy my rig.

L1ghtF00t

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012

oh, i see. sounds like a sweet deal. im not worried about the extra 15W and i would get more protection. i think i'll just get a UPS then. thanks guys.

can either of you recommend a high quality one that has a high enough watt, voltage, and amp output to power the PSU i described, 3 of these monitors --> ASUS VE247H Black 23.6" 2ms Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 300 cd/m2 10,000,000:1 (ASCR), and then have some power left in case i ever hook anything else up to it.

will i need anything to hook the UPS up or not?

edit: i would rather not pay out 600 bucks to get a 1650 watt UPS. if there aren't any 1600 watt or higher UPS's for less than 150 bucks, then can you recommend a good surge suppressor (less than 150 bucks) that has a watt output capacity of at least 1600 watts.

L1ghtF00t

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
i just want something that is going to last long and never give me a moments trouble and i just don't see how something that cheap could do that. but if you say it will, then i'll try it.

and why does it say it is 125V, if the most someone can pull from a standard U.S. outlet is 120V?

also, is it normal to have 20 amp outlets? cause everything i read says that the U.S. standard outlet has a max of 15 amps, but i looked at my breaker box, and all the breakers are (except for a couple, which are rated higher) 20 amp breakers.

No idea, I'm in Europe and I have 10 A and 16 A, 220 V.