Your question

Weird sound coming from gtx 680

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Silverstone
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 25, 2012 9:59:15 PM

Ok maybe I just have extremely back luck or maybe there is something wrong with my silverstone 1200 watt psu. I had a sapphire 7970 video card that make a funny noise, like a coil whine. I RMA that and the second one is dong the same thing. I decided to just buy a gtx680 and its the same noise. The noise sounds like high pitch beeps. My guess is its been the psu the whole time. Just wondering if anyone else had similar problems. Heres my compter specs...

Cpu: amd 8120
GPU- Gtx 680
Mobo- Asus sabertooth 990fx
Ram- 1886mhz 2x4gb
Psu- Silverstone 1200 watt

More about : weird sound coming gtx 680

a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2012 10:14:15 PM

Try turning off the GPU fan and see if the noise dies down, and try with your 7970 as well. If it does go down, looks like you got 3 bad graphics card fans. If it doesn't, try sticking your ear in the case and just listen where the noise is coming from.
m
l
July 26, 2012 12:11:38 AM

you have got to be kidding me. When I stop the fan it sounds like electricity build up. Im not sure how to describe it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 12:25:39 AM

Its the inductors also known as chokes or coils. The higher end and some of the mid range cards these days use ferrite shielded chokes that are known to make loud noises as well known to short out. When they go bad they buzz a lot more than should be expected and when they go they short out and cut the circuit thus disconnecting the vram phase from the gpu/memory.

You can band aid the problem by using silicone to insulate some of the noise, nail polish sometimes works (doubt it) and personally I try to use little heatsinks that I sometimes make but results are not always satisfactory.

The only real solution is to use a ferrite core inductors of similar rating or to use two lower rated inductors per phase. A lot of these high end cards are using inductors rated as high as R120 or more. The R factor denotes that a resistor is present of has resistor like properties.

Returning the card isn't going to fix it in the long term.

EDIT: I left out what type of inductors are normally used on these cards. They are Ferrite shielded inductors and are intended to be highly compact while being high performance however life of these inductors isn't great.
m
l
July 26, 2012 12:44:07 AM

if this is the case what high end video card would you recommend that doesnt make these annoying noises?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 12:47:56 AM

Custom designed cards from Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte. You need to research online and look for pictures of the card with the cooler removed. If you want to be familure with the type of choke/inductor to avoid is to look up pics of the 2900 pro/xt, gtx260/280 (65nm), gtx570/580, and many of the mid range on up amd cards. Some of the gtx680 cards are using very low grade ferrite core chokes but they get rather hot and still buzz so going for custom cards is by far the best choice.

If you go with Gigabyte then I should warn you about their coolers. The fans are brittle and often very weak.
m
l
July 26, 2012 1:09:00 AM

HD 7970 - MSI R7970 Lightning what about this card or this one Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 2:49:04 PM

The MSI card should be good but don't go for the Gigabyte card, usually they use high quality custom inductors but looking online I am seeing only low quality surface mounted inductors. The MSI card is built like a tank especially that MSI R7970 Lightning.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1286046/how-many-680-pcbs-ar...
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
July 26, 2012 6:21:03 PM

word2yamutha said:
what about this one?

http://www.amazon.com/ZT-60101-10P-GeForce-Express-Disp...

Id prefer to buy it at amazon just because the return process is less of a hassle. Also what suggestions would you give me for a quiet graphics card thats either a 7970 or a gtx 680.

That Zotac is a reference model and should be avoided. As for silent such cards can be hard to track down so might as well live with the fan noise. Coil squeal I can't stand and will hear it over any amount of fans.
m
l
!